Days of Phuket jet-ski extortion 'are over'

webfact

Days of Phuket jet-ski extortion 'are over'
Nattapat Tuarob

1429772795_1-org.jpg
Seven Smulders, Honorary Consul for the Netherlands.

PHUKET: -- Phuripat Theerakulpisut, director of the Phuket Marine Office announced on Tuesday (April 21) that the days of extortion by jetski operators are over.

“Now there are zero problems from the jet-skis, since we brought in jet-ski management. We have set clear zones for jet-skis on the beaches.”

He was speaking at a meeting between officials and the island’s honorary consuls at the Phuket Garden Hotel.

None of the honorary consuls had reports to deliver of extortion by jet-ski operators, but two voiced concerns about safety.

Seven Smulders, Honorary Consul for the Netherlands said that the B15,000 insurance cover that jet-ski owners must now carry is not high enough to cover all possible costs.

He proposed that tourists should be given the choice of paying more for extra insurance coverage, with the amount being scaled depending on how long they hire a jet-ski for.

Mr Smulders said that since most tourists do not bother to read the conditions in the hire contract, other ways must be devised to solve problems when they arise.

The tourists have to understand the risks of riding a jet-ski, and both they and the operators should understand how much they may have to pay in case of an accident, above and beyond the insurance.

French honorary consul Claude de Crissey, proposed that, apart from buoyancy vests, those using jetskis should be required to wear additional safety equipment such as helmets and gloves.

Mr Phuripat said, “We have four languages in the contract – English, Thai, Russian, and Chinese. But I would like the Honorary Consuls to tell their nationals that this is an ‘exciting’ activity, so they need to be aware and be prepared for the risks.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/days-of-phuket-jet-ski-extortion-are-over-51992.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-04-23

• Like 1

How about this Idea:

Have several people hired and permanently attached to any Jet Ski operation and video tape them from the time they start to the time they finish...every second, every minute, every hour, every day, every week, every month, every year...forever ......if need be.

Low cost video tape monitoring and the means to keep them in check.

However...no matter which way you try to stop or curb the scam it will be corrupted, sooner or later, while the scam will continue.

Cheers

• Like 1

Note there was no mention of the fact that under Thai law no person may operate such a craft without a Thai Captains licence. So effectively the officials allow operators and tourists to break the law ... and yes all to make sure the MONEY keeps on flowing.

I wonder if any Thai official can spell the word ... FARCE

This should read ' All over Thailand ' and not only in Phuket... than, and only than, your work is done....

Never been to Pattaya. I was in Krabi, Koh Jum, and Phi Phi islands for 11 days earlier this month. Never saw a jet ski or anything promoting them. Made me wonder how widely they are used outside of Pattaya

i once came off a jet ski in pattaya in open water causing zero damage, i got back on, finished my 30 mins and when i took it back they demanded money. i said no an they called their police man freind , i ended up paying them both... Mafia