How to book a train ticket Bkk-CM from Pattaya?

Mcffee

Can somebody tell me how to do this? Once I did it from ChiangMai just by calling to the train station, I payed and received the ticket for the night train an hour before departure. Any idea what's possible from Pattaya? Thanks!

giphy.gif

Apparently the OP wants to buy a ticket for a trip from Bangkok to Chiang Mai but he doesn't mention wanting to use the train to get to Bangkok.

Either way, I would have thought that the ticket office at Pattaya station would be a good place to ask about buying a ticket for another trip and this site seems to agree with me:

http://www.thairailways.com/booking-ticket.html

There is also this site: http://www.thailandtrainticket.com/ which appears to be some sort of travel agency and so, presumably, will charge a booking fee.

• Like 2

If you need to book in advance I think this online site is your best option now

http://www.thailandtrainticket.com/

They only charge a 200 baht fee and you pay the normal fares to them , then pick it up at their office in Bangkok.

You can also book direct with the State Railways of Thailand by emailing them at least 15 days, but less than 60 days, before your date of travel on [email protected] or by faxing them on + 66 2 225 6068.

Your fax or e-mail must include the journey, date, train number, departure time, class, seat or sleeper (upper or lower berth), number of passengers, your name and e-mail address.

This option saves you paying any agency fee and normally works fine, but it's often a slow process waiting for a reply from Thai Railways. Some people said they waited 2 weeks for a reply, another correspondent says it took Thai railways 18 days to reply, and one correspondent says he waited a month, so you have to be patient.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

There is a train station in pattaya...from Sukie take SSCC to the near side of the RR tracks and make a left and drive parallel to the tracks about 500 meters to the small station on the right. Travel agents can can also book these tickets I believe.

I did that before to book ticket Bangkok to Chiangmai. Just go to the train station in Pattaya.

Yes, they have a computer and they can sell you any train ticket in Thailand.

The easiest way is to take a gentle stroll ( i have done it 100's of times....) to Pattaya railway station and its only 20 minutes walk from Big C central.( remember when you are strolling to keep your hands in your pockets at all times) Pattaya railway station is fabulous and the station master is a " bloody nice bloke ".You can book your ticket to chiang mai from there! Prices from about 275 baht for a 3rd class bench seat upwards... It takes about 12 hours and the scenery is fabulous ( and you will be on the edge of your seat all the way with absolute excitement....) But do NOT book aircon or you will need to be dressed for " Ice Station Zebra " i personally wouldn't book a sleeper but just a simple seat because you dont want to miss out on all the "chit chat " with all the locals and the wonderful scenery during the daylight hours.It's the only way to travel in Thailand! God bless you all viewers.........

F.J ( also a bloody nice bloke ) x

• Like 1

There is a train station in pattaya...from Sukie take SSCC to the near side of the RR tracks and make a left and drive parallel to the tracks about 500 meters to the small station on the right. Travel agents can can also book these tickets I believe.

A helpful post (I'm guessing) but you forgot to tell where we can buy the code book to decipher it......."Sukie"...."SSCC"...."RR"....what's wrong with plain English?

• Like 1

I have booked domestic travel plane tickets and a few other things using one of the local travel agencies. I have used Eastiny Travel on Soi 8 and the travel shop inside Soi Diana at what was the Diana inn. Many others are similar. I never booked a train ticket but I am sure one of the agencies can and will help you? For some fee of course.

No online service is reliable, forget it !

Quite right. The first time I wanted train tickets I tried most of the online suggestions, few even worked. The ones that did work only gave so long to pay as all they did was run down to the station and book on your behalf.

The only reliable way is at a train station, any train station. I have done Penang and CM at the one here in Chonburi. There are 2 overnights up to CM, No 1 & No 13 leaving about 6.30 and 7.30 in the evening. As some have posted the seat61 website is good for info.

The train from Pattaya to BKK is not to be recommended, I have done it from Chonburi and that was bad enough. It is 3rd class and no aircon so all the windows wide open. It was dark long before we reached BKK and the carriage was full of insects.

The easiest way is to take a gentle stroll ( i have done it 100's of times....) to Pattaya railway station and its only 20 minutes walk from Big C central.( remember when you are strolling to keep your hands in your pockets at all times) Pattaya railway station is fabulous and the station master is a " bloody nice bloke ".You can book your ticket to chiang mai from there! Prices from about 275 baht for a 3rd class bench seat upwards... It takes about 12 hours and the scenery is fabulous ( and you will be on the edge of your seat all the way with absolute excitement....) But do NOT book aircon or you will need to be dressed for " Ice Station Zebra " i personally wouldn't book a sleeper but just a simple seat because you dont want to miss out on all the "chit chat " with all the locals and the wonderful scenery during the daylight hours.It's the only way to travel in Thailand! God bless you all viewers.........

F.J ( also a bloody nice bloke ) x

There should be a health warning with this piece of advice.

The sleepers are simple seats that are turned into beds about 7.30 in the evening and then back again about 5.30 in the morning.

It is better to get a lower berth as some of the uppers are quite close to the aircon vents. In some carriages the berths are the same size but in some the lowers are quite bigger. I have been in 3 different configurations, it really is pot luck and you don't know until on the train.