Tokyo Disneyland shows interest in made-in-Thailand products

webfact

Tokyo Disneyland shows interest in made-in-Thailand products

BANGKOK, 24 April 2015, (NNT) - The Department of International Trade Promotion (DITP) has revealed that Disneyland Tokyo sent representatives to Thailand, scouting for souvenirs to be offered in the major amusement park.

DITP Director-General Nantawan Sakuntanak said that Thailand’s goods generally have high quality and become easy favorites among tourists. However, she added that the Disneyland representatives have yet to declare which products will be selected or how large the order will be.

She saw this as a great opportunity for local craftsmen and business operators to increase their visibility and supply their products to one of the biggest brand names in the world.

Tokyo Disneyland is the first amusement park of its kind that was built outside of the U.S. It employed Disney’s own engineers and was designed closely to its sister theme parks in California and Florida.

Each year, Disneyland Tokyo welcomes more than 10 million Japanese and foreign visitors.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-04-24 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

I'm not sure why this is news. Disneyland sends its sourcing agents to almost every nation. When there's an actual valid purchase order from Disneyland, then maybe it is worth reporting.

The statement in the OP is total nonsense. Either Department of International Trade Promotion Director-General Nantawan Sakuntanak doesn't have a clue of what she's talking about or she has been terribly misquoted. Disney has been buying in Thailand for ages, there is absolutely nothing new here. But then to sell to Disney a factory needs to pass an audit by Bureau Veritas, nothing about quality, it's about human rights and labour issues (Code of Conduct Compliance). I've visited a number of small to medium factories in Thailand and I've been very negatively suprised by what I've seen. I'm afraid most of them will never be able to successfully pass a Disney audit.

Edited by JohnnyJazz
  • Like 1

"Tokyo Disneyland shows interest in made-in-Thailand products"

All sounds a bit Mickey mouse to me....

Must go, taxi's waiting - if it's not on strike!

Edited by JAG

"Tokyo Disneyland shows interest in made-in-Thailand products"

All sounds a bit Mickey mouse to me....

Must go, taxi's waiting - if it's not on strike!

Damn beat me to it mate!

• Like 1

"Disneyland Tokyo sent representatives to Thailand, scouting for souvenirs to be offered in the major amusement park."

Once those "unique" sovenirs have been found, they will have them replicated in China in plastic or nylon. And with regards to paying Thais for licensing their products, it's not going to happen and the Chinese could care less. Offended merchants can contact the Thai government about pirating Disney IP.