Thailand agrees closer military ties with China during visit by top Beijing official

Lite Beer

Thailand agrees closer military ties with China during visit by top Beijing official
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand and China Friday agreed to forge closer military ties, creating more mechanisms for cooperation on defence and security matters, according to a visiting senior Chinese military officer, Air Chief Marshal Xu Qiliang.

Xu, vice chairman of the Central Military Commission of the Chinese Communist Party, held talks with Thai Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan, proposing that the defence ministries of the two countries sign a pact to elevate military cooperation and for exchange of more visits by senior officers.

The two countries should also have mechanisms for military education and training, notably joint exercises between their armed forces, Xu was quoted as saying to Prawit by Defence Ministry spokesman Kongchep Tantrawanich.

The two countries should also jointly develop their defence industries, and China would support the establishment of an Asean military medical centre in Thailand, he said.

Xu arrived in Thailand on Thursday for a five-day visit just two weeks after a visit to China by Prawit, who is also a deputy prime minister. Xu said Chinese President Xi Jinping had assigned him to visit Thailand to build trust and seek closer cooperation.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Thailand-agrees-closer-military-ties-with-China-du-30258705.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-24

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"The two countries should also jointly develop their defence industries" Does Thailand got a defence industry?

-Sure they do, they make bullet proof vest out of x-ray film.

• Like 1

Maybe it will work out OK in the end. Can anyone tell me what is the correct Chinese spelling for Thailand province? <<<< Chinese language removed >>>>???

Edited by metisdead
English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"The two countries should also jointly develop their defence industries" Does Thailand got a defence industry?

-Sure they do, they make bullet proof vest out of x-ray film.

Well, to be fair, they do have a moh doo dance around and sprinkle ground tiger tooth on each vest before it is packed for export.

Another success for American diplomacy ! whistling.gif

While Thailand needs to be on good terms with all its neighbours, it needs equally to retain its traditional balance, in order to play one powerful-country/empire off against another, and there is a risk of leaning too far in any one direction.

Another success for American diplomacy ! whistling.gif

While Thailand needs to be on good terms with all its neighbours, it needs equally to retain its traditional balance, in order to play one powerful-country/empire off against another, and there is a risk of leaning too far in any one direction.

That is exactly why they are doing this -unlike the US vassal state the Philippines.

And in joined exercises the Peoples Army get used to the terrain so they can better protect their future railway.

Better have your welcome flower bouquets ready Costas and enough business cards of your local laundry and cleaner service.

• Like 1

Thailand has been on Americas teet since the 60s in terms of building their infrastructure. Once TPP passes Vietnam/Malaysia will replace Thailand has the U.S. main SE trading partner. Thailand hasn't been able to train their population to make the transition successful into a middle income service economy.

This country reminds me of what Winston Churchill said about the Italians being part of the Axis in WW2, ie more of a liability than an asset.

There is no way they are ready for ASEAN with rubber/rice more expensive than other members for example. I checked price of rice per metric ton is about 10% cheaper in Vietnam.

Too bad because the Thai people imo prefer farangs to Chinese. It's dear leader's preference for these authoritarian governments like China to validate his polices.

• Like 1

I despair. I can understand economic links, but for the life of me I am at a loss to understand who is the 'common' military enemy of these two countries. That is normally what defence co-operation is about isn't it?.

Let's see now. If Russia decides to get involved in border skirmishes with China, Thailand will 'rush' to help. Or, if there is another 'temple land' military dispute between Thailand and Cambodia then units of the Peoples Army will parachute in.

I mean it's absurd.

The reality is, as indicated in the OP, it allows Thailand generals to have meaningless junkets to China and vice-versa.

• Like 1

The article provides no evidence that Thailand agreed to any of this. Only that the Chinese guy said so.

I'm guessing the Junta is playing a little game here.

You're right. Nothing "agreed."

China is looking for strategic partners in the area since pissing everyone off trying to take over international waters throughout the South China Sea.

I despair. I can understand economic links, but for the life of me I am at a loss to understand who is the 'common' military enemy of these two countries. That is normally what defence co-operation is about isn't it?.

Let's see now. If Russia decides to get involved in border skirmishes with China, Thailand will 'rush' to help. Or, if there is another 'temple land' military dispute between Thailand and Cambodia then units of the Peoples Army will parachute in.

I mean it's absurd.

The reality is, as indicated in the OP, it allows Thailand generals to have meaningless junkets to China and vice-versa.

No it is simpler than most imagine.

After handing out those pamphlets to Chinese tourists that tell them how to behave, the Chinese said, " Well they insult us that way so we will join military forces with them and they can dig all of our latrines for us."

Some people is forgetting the the PM is from the Military, and some people do not believe that China, North Korea, Russia..and the US, are in full preparation for WAR. Mr. Prayut may knows more than we think he knows about all that.

• Like 1

The article provides no evidence that Thailand agreed to any of this. Only that the Chinese guy said so.

No!! the Yanks were playing a big game (their guns and tanks will have made in China on them in the future) and they just lost!!

I hope that other nations (especially Asian ones) take note of this and reconsider/re-evaluate the extent of their allegiance to this egotistical country that thinks they own the world and everything in it.

If someone childishly takes their ball away then don't sulk, but go and find someone with a better ball that is prepared to play with you.

Well done Prayuth for putting them in their place by ignoring their pathetic threats and doing something positive about it!!

No!! the Yanks were playing a big game (their guns and tanks will have made in China on them in the future) and they just lost!!

I hope that other nations (especially Asian ones) take note of this and reconsider/re-evaluate the extent of their allegiance to this egotistical country that thinks they own the world and everything in it.

If someone childishly takes their ball away then don't sulk, but go and find someone with a better ball that is prepared to play with you.

Well done Prayuth for putting them in their place by ignoring their pathetic threats and doing something positive about it!!

What threats would those be?

• Like 1

Sounds like a game we played with the opposite sex when I was small. "I don't like you and I don't like you but I do like you" Come and dance with me in the red circle said the spider to the fly.

What threats would those be?

Threats that they won't come out to play war with them (as if that really matters).