Diet Pepsi dropping aspartame on customer concerns

Lite Beer

I think Boomer is just playing along?

I don't know -- but he sure put the fear of God in me when he said that i will suffer debilitations from my once a month or so ingestion of Coca Cola which is usually when the Thai GF drags me to the Sukishi buffet.

Aspartame breaks down to wood alcohol causing blindness and cancer. Its made using the Recombinant DNA process i.e. the sh*t from bacteria. I am no fan of sugar but honestly you'd be better of with plain sugar rather than the artificial sweetners.

At least sugar breaks down into Glucose and Fructose - the Glucose is OK, but the bad bit is the fructose that gets turned into VLDL (very low density lipoprotein). Check out the YT video "Sugar the Bitter Truth".

wood alcohol=methanol....calculate the amounts it is a magnitude less than if you drink a glass of normal fruit juice.

Sh*t from bacteria....like beer, yogurt, cheese, sauerkraut, bread, cows etc.....

The situation with food additives is bad enough, no reason to add wrong informations.

I would say better Aspartame than all the artificial colors and they can be replaced easily....

I don't know -- but he sure put the fear of God in me when he said that i will suffer debilitations from my once a month or so ingestion of Coca Cola which is usually when the Thai GF drags me to the Sukishi buffet.

It's worth while googling boiled coke to see what is left after you take out the water.

It's worth while googling boiled coke to see what is left after you take out the water.

Worthwhile to you, maybe. I'll pass.

Ive googled quite a lot and have read everything that Dr. Mercola has to say and Ive never heard anything about CO2 bubbles offsetting the deadly toxins in MSG. Its definitely the essential oils that are doing it.

I don't know Dr. Mercola and am the first to say I'm not a scientist studying the effects of MSG in a lab setting. However, MSG should be studied. The reason there's scant data is, like so many other questionable food additives, there are vested corporate interests who want their additives to continue to sell, because that's how they make their salaries.

It's similar to the reason exotic/endangered animal parts are not studied in China (for their supposed curative effects, and enabling flaccid men to get hard-ons) ....because there are too many vested interests involved. To prove, for example, rhino horn has no more curative effect than drinking tea made of fingernail clippings, would be anathema to those in the biz of poaching/selling rhino horn.

Why don't vendors use natural sugars? I'm referring to vendors on all levels, from corporate towers in NYC to the fruit vendor on the sidewalk.

If the US, a person can find natural unadulterated fresh fruit juice in some places. In Thailand, near impossible. Thais can't fix food unless it's adulterated with salt, sugar, and a slew of herbs. All the fruit juices one finds in stores have been flash-heated to kill bacteria/fungi/viruses - so their nutritional value plummets.

When a person thinks of Thailand in relation to fresh fruits, one usually thinks of a plethora of colorful and tasty selections. However, Thais don't eat much fruit, particularly compared to rice and meat. Perhaps 1:200 ratio. Yet, even with the large variety of fruits in Thailand, when has anyone seen fresh-squeezed fruit juice (without sugar or salt added) available for sale? Almost unheard of. One main reason: corporations have become so successful at peddling their brands - which have big bright pictures of fruit on the labels, but are mostly water, sugar, artificial coloring, artificial flavoring, and corn syrup. If I still had little kids, I would adamant about keeping them clear from fattening, teeth destroying, health-debilitating drinks which are available everywhere in the US and Thailand. Come on people, vote with your pocketbooks. If you're an adult and choose to drink the corporate crap, that's your choice (though my tax dollars will probably be contributing to your health bills when you get too sickly and fat to function). .....but give the younger generation a break. Don't buy them sugar-laden health-destroying drinks! It's better to get a little frown ("oh, come on daddy, buy me the cola drink!"), then to wind up with 330 pound sickly offspring - 20 years hence.

Just got off a Bangkok Air flight.

Hostie comes around offering fruit juice? Does it contain sugar says I

Of course comes the reply

On inspection Malee catering orange juice contains, wait for it ........20% orange juice.

Thai-run airlines (and other Thai corps) are to healthy food what ducks are to auto mechanics, or what Thai politicians are to environmental husbandry. The first thing Thai corp heads need to learn is: What is healthy. The next thing is to decide whether they want healthy practices within their corporations, or just continue to take the common unhealthy path that's so convenient - and pleases their buddies in corporate food/drink businesses.

Science schmeince. Scientists are such elitists with their big words and demanding a paycheck each month. That's how you know that you can't trust them, unlike artists and dancers they all get paid, and once the profit motive is in play they will even deny medical facts that were known during the middle ages.

Ive googled quite a lot and have read everything that Dr. Mercola has to say and Ive never heard anything about CO2 bubbles offsetting the deadly toxins in MSG. Its definitely the essential oils that are doing it.

I don't know Dr. Mercola and am the first to say I'm not a scientist studying the effects of MSG in a lab setting. However, MSG should be studied. The reason there's scant data is, like so many other questionable food additives, there are vested corporate interests who want their additives to continue to sell, because that's how they make their salaries.

It's similar to the reason exotic/endangered animal parts are not studied in China (for their supposed curative effects, and enabling flaccid men to get hard-ons) ....because there are too many vested interests involved. To prove, for example, rhino horn has no more curative effect than drinking tea made of fingernail clippings, would be anathema to those in the biz of poaching/selling rhino horn.Hostie comes around offering fruit juice? Does it contain sugar says IThai-run airlines (and other Thai corps) are to healthy food what ducks are to auto mechanics, or what Thai politicians are to environmental husbandry. The first thing Thai corp heads need to learn is: What is healthy. The next thing is to decide whether they want healthy practices within their corporations, or just continue to take the common unhealthy path that's so convenient - and pleases their buddies in corporate food/drink businesses.

Science schmeince. Scientists are such elitists with their big words and demanding a paycheck each month. That's how you know that you can't trust them, unlike artists and dancers they all get paid, and once the profit motive is in play they will even deny medical facts that were known during the middle ages.

Utter nonsense

I have looked into the Aspartame issue in some depth

I find your assertions to be incorrect

Read the link I posted above if you want the facts......

Poisoning the people!

Poisoning the people!

...the business of ALL big food corporations coffee1.gif

So, do you never eat anything made by "big food corporations"? Why would you if you think they're in the business of "poisoning the people."

BTW, for the past 40 years it's been extremely rare for me to consume any foods produced by "big food." It's been 40 years since I drank a Coke, Pepsi or the like ... or eaten in McDonald's, KFC, etc. During that time approx. 95% of my food has been organically cultivated, mostly vegetarian with lots and lots of fresh veggies and fruits, unrefined whole grains, zero white sugar, and very moderate alcohol consumption.

That lifestyle is the best investment I ever made and after 40 years (I'm now 70) it's paying off very well in health dividends.

In Oklahoma, the joke was always that, even if you didn't ask them about their grandbaby, they would tell you anyway.

ask_me_about_my_grandbaby_mug.jpg?height

Well the story in OP Post #1 is that Pepsi is now switching one dangerous artificial sweetener in their diet soda for another dangerous artificial sweetener in their diet soda. But some never miss a chance to give the ol' standard pitch as in I even wrote a book on it.

For "customer concerns" substitute Sh!t Scared of law suits and potential loss of profits.

Actually Pepsi is taking a chance of precipitating new law suits. By removing the aspartame they're indicating something is wrong with it ... or, at least, that's what some ambulance-chasing lawyers would claim.
Until there are successful lawsuits I will reserve my judgement on Aspartame. I do recall many years ago it was badged in a positive way as a sugar substitute, cans of drink often had the Nutrisweet swirl logo.

I do believe in the idea of self-sufficiency, home grown food and avoiding what big food churns out - though to escape from it is very difficult when they are assaulting seed diversity by putting restrictions on heirloom seeds to clear a monopoly for their F1 hybrids. Incidentally with Thailand there are few places on Earth where big corporations have monopolized and controlled the food chain to such a degree.

• Like 1

Why don't vendors use natural sugars? I'm referring to vendors on all levels, from corporate towers in NYC to the fruit vendor on the sidewalk.

If the US, a person can find natural unadulterated fresh fruit juice in some places. In Thailand, near impossible. Thais can't fix food unless it's adulterated with salt, sugar, and a slew of herbs. All the fruit juices one finds in stores have been flash-heated to kill bacteria/fungi/viruses - so their nutritional value plummets.

When a person thinks of Thailand in relation to fresh fruits, one usually thinks of a plethora of colorful and tasty selections. However, Thais don't eat much fruit, particularly compared to rice and meat. Perhaps 1:200 ratio. Yet, even with the large variety of fruits in Thailand, when has anyone seen fresh-squeezed fruit juice (without sugar or salt added) available for sale? Almost unheard of. One main reason: corporations have become so successful at peddling their brands - which have big bright pictures of fruit on the labels, but are mostly water, sugar, artificial coloring, artificial flavoring, and corn syrup. If I still had little kids, I would adamant about keeping them clear from fattening, teeth destroying, health-debilitating drinks which are available everywhere in the US and Thailand. Come on people, vote with your pocketbooks. If you're an adult and choose to drink the corporate crap, that's your choice (though my tax dollars will probably be contributing to your health bills when you get too sickly and fat to function). .....but give the younger generation a break. Don't buy them sugar-laden health-destroying drinks! It's better to get a little frown ("oh, come on daddy, buy me the cola drink!"), then to wind up with 330 pound sickly offspring - 20 years hence.

I'll have to check about the sugar and salt, but the chiller section in Big C where I live has loads of fresh squeezed fruit juice for sale. I haven't bought any before because it's expensive, not because I don't like fruit juice.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why don't vendors use natural sugars? I'm referring to vendors on all levels, from corporate towers in NYC to the fruit vendor on the sidewalk. If the US, a person can find natural unadulterated fresh fruit juice in some places. In Thailand, near impossible. Thais can't fix food unless it's adulterated with salt, sugar, and a slew of herbs. All the fruit juices one finds in stores have been flash-heated to kill bacteria/fungi/viruses - so their nutritional value plummets.

I'll have to check about the sugar and salt, but the chiller section in Big C where I live has loads of fresh squeezed fruit juice for sale. I haven't bought any before because it's expensive, not because I don't like fruit juice.
Even the best packaged fruit juice available at Big C will have been pasteurized - so it may be somewhat nutritious, it's not as fully nutritious as fresh-squeezed. Additionally, nearly every juice will have a beautiful label, and the number 100% in large font just above the fruit's name. But look closer, and it's rarely 100%, more often 80 or 90%. All in all, it's ok, and miles better than soda pop. Parents who feed their kids soda pop should really read up on what sugar (and artificial sweeteners) are about.

I found a booth at Central Mall in Chiang Rai which sells pure carrot juice. It's juiced right there, nothing added, and only Bt.40 for a large portion. I always feel better after a tall glass of carrot juice.

Something I'll never forget: When I was a little kid, I recall hearing that upper management, at big food corporations, rarely allow their own families to eat the products which pay their salaries. Similarly, agri-business farmers in Idaho won't allow their families to eat the potatoes they grow (most of which go to McDonalds). Similarly, I heard an interview with a Panamanian who oversees a Chiquita Banana plantation. When asked whether he brings home bananas to his family, he laughed and said ,'no way!' because he knew first hand how heavily those bananas are sprayed by chemicals.

It's probably even more true today, than years ago. I doubt that execs at Nabisco or Kraft or Kellogs or Post (particularly breakfast cereal makers) would allow their families to eat their corporate products. Even mayo and ketchup have lots of sugar.

From the above: Even mayo and ketchup have lots of sugar.

I buy the 1000 gm pouch of ARO mayonnaise at Makro. It has 4.0 % sugar listed on the ingredients. That equals 40 grams of sugar. Lets say a pouch lasts me about a month ... so a little more than 1 gram average per day of sugar from mayonnaise.

World Health Organization Daily Sugar Intake Recommendation

For an average 2000-calorie diet, the World Health Organization recommends that a maximum of 10% of the total calories come from added sugar. This equates to less than 50 grams of added sugar per day

Daily Sugar Intake from American Heart Association

Sugar per day allowed per day:

Men 36 grams; Women 24 grams

Edited by JLCrab

Yes, with sugar in so many common food & drink items, including bread, it's easy to get over-loaded and not even be aware of it.

Then there's alcohol which is the semi-toxic waste product which results when sugars are processed by yeast. It's essentially yeast pee, and no other animal or insect wants it, except humans. A whole other topic.

Note: the great new artificial sweetener of today, will likely become the cancer-causing (or otherwise debilitating) issue of tomorrow. Enjoy your Twinkies, chased down by a liter of artificially sweetened Pepsi.

1+ gram per day in mayonnaise is sugar; it is not LOTS of sugar at least per guidelines of WHO and American Heart Assoc.

or ...

I'd like to teach the world to sing

In perfect harmony

I'd like to buy the world some kale

And a plate of Broccoli

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

Something I'll never forget: When I was a little kid, I recall hearing that upper management, at big food corporations, rarely allow their own families to eat the products which pay their salaries. Similarly, agri-business farmers in Idaho won't allow their families to eat the potatoes they grow (most of which go to McDonalds). Similarly, I heard an interview with a Panamanian who oversees a Chiquita Banana plantation. When asked whether he brings home bananas to his family, he laughed and said ,'no way!' because he knew first hand how heavily those bananas are sprayed by chemicals.

It's probably even more true today, than years ago. I doubt that execs at Nabisco or Kraft or Kellogs or Post (particularly breakfast cereal makers) would allow their families to eat their corporate products. Even mayo and ketchup have lots of sugar.

That may be so, but if people are like me and have the occasional big mac and fries etc it isn't going to kill them. It's only when bad parents feed their kids exclusively on processed muck that it becomes a heath problem.

As for sugar, yes, it makes you fat, but unfortunately I can't imagine not having sugar in my diet. I might live longer/ healthier, but I wouldn't like it much. Who wants to live forever anyway?

It might give me diabetes eventually ( my mother never ate sugar and died of diabetes ), but if large portions of sugar definitely caused diabetes, I'd have had it years ago.

Cancer is one of the most difficult things to gauge - where and/or what it originated from in the human body. It starts small, and there are many types of cancer. Nearly every organ in the body, including skin and blood, can become cancer-ridden. Cancer can start when a person is young, and go undetected until adulthood ....or not even known about until an autopsy. For example, some toxin in a kid's environment can trigger cancerous growth, and by the time cancer is diagnosed, the now-adult may not have an inkling how/where it got started.

Physiology is strange. I had multiple tooth cavities when young, and ate sugary things like a fiend. I also got hay fever (as severe as anyone I've known) since 8 years old. My mother drank alcohol, ate sugar crap and smoked cigs (all to excess) before during and after carrying me in her womb. I once got punished for something trivial, and was forced (by my mom) to eat a whole gallon of white sugar. She also got me started on cigs when I was 11. By all indications, I should be a physical mess, addicted and/or dead before 25, but I pulled through, except my hay fever is as bad as ever.

Pepsi has decided that they can sell more Diet Pepsi sweetened with Sucralose than they can sell Diet Pepsi sweetened with Aspartame. Thanks for your prognosis.

And if it's found, in 25 years, that Sucralose causes cancer or hyper-fatness, and Pepsi is faced with lawsuits, no problem, it can switch to Sucraspartamine and go on selling artificially sweetened brown water. Whatever keeps the revenue coming in. What to do with the millions of liters of unsellable brown water? Either ship it to a 3rd world country, flush it down the toilet, or use it to brownwash some stucco buildings.

And if it's found in 25 years that no such cancer clusters occur because one would have had to drink 100 liters per day of day soda for 25 years to even approach a reasonable risk of cancer then lots have people would have gone hysterical for nothing.

And if it's found in 25 years that no such cancer clusters occur because one would have had to drink 100 liters per day of day soda for 25 years to even approach a reasonable risk of cancer then lots have people would have gone hysterical for nothing.

Going hysterical is never for naught.

Artificial sweeteners might be considered to be safe but there was a time when that was said of vaccines too.

Artificial sweeteners might be considered to be safe but there was a time when that was said of vaccines too.

Naught.

Indeed, many things which were originally considered safe, have turned out to be not safe. When early Atomic bomb tests happened in the western USA, it wasn't considered important to notify the villagers downwind. Phen Phen, or the non-food artificial fats that were added to grocery store items (you'll just shit them out, no problem); similar stories. Cigarettes were once advertised as 'promoting health' with testimonies from doctors. There's a long list of manufacture/artificial items that were originally touted as 'safe' by governments and industry, which were later found to be harmful. Asbestos insulation, lead-in-paint, and Radon in house walls are others. Love Canal, anyone?

As I said in my 1st post on this thread, I knew aspastamine was not good for health 25 years ago. Pepsi corp must have known that also, unless they're too stupid to know. Now, a quarter century and a billion Pepsi's later, Pepsi heads realize there may be problems with aspartamine, so they're changing their recipe.

For those who can't seem to find any studies on the safety of Aspartame, the European Food Safety Authority carried out this study in 2013:

EFSA completes full risk assessment on aspartame and concludes it is safe at current levels of exposure

Aspartame and its breakdown products are safe for human consumption at current levels of exposure, EFSA concludes in its first full risk assessment of this sweetener. To carry out its risk assessment, EFSA has undertaken a rigorous review of all available scientific research on aspartame and its breakdown products, including both animal and human studies.

“This opinion represents one of the most comprehensive risk assessments of aspartame ever undertaken. It’s a step forward in strengthening consumer confidence in the scientific underpinning of the EU food safety system and the regulation of food additives”, said the Chair of EFSA’s Panel on Food Additives and Nutrient Sources Added to Foods (ANS Panel), Dr Alicja Mortensen.

Experts of ANS Panel have considered all available information and, following a detailed analysis, have concluded that the current Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) of 40mg/kg bw/day is protective for the general population. However, in patients suffering from the medical condition phenylketonuria (PKU), the ADI is not applicable, as they require strict adherence to a diet low in phenylalanine (an amino acid found in proteins).

Following a thorough review of evidence provided both by animal and human studies, experts have ruled out a potential risk of aspartame causing damage to genes and inducing cancer. EFSA’s experts also concluded that aspartame does not harm the brain, the nervous system or affect behaviour or cognitive function in children or adults. With respect to pregnancy, the Panel noted that there was no risk to the developing fetus from exposure to phenylalanine derived from aspartame at the current ADI (with the exception of women suffering from PKU).

The opinion makes clear that the breakdown products of aspartame (phenylalanine, methanol and aspartic acid) are also naturally present in other foods (for instance, methanol is found in fruit and vegetables). The contribution of breakdown products of aspartame to the overall dietary exposure to these substances is low.

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/press/news/131210.htm