SURVEY: Why do Expats Relocate to Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: Why Do Expats Relocate to Thailand?   

431 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would venture that several TV members are fleeing personal problems, such as family, financial or legal - but they didn't vote that way.

The question is why are they choosing to lie?

That's the 3 million dollar question.

We delude ourselves until we believe the lie.

It's an expat survival strategy - and a decent one at thatsad.png

Wow the pot calling the kettle black. Judging just by this topic & your prejudged replies & possibilities I have created an equivalent questionaire for you

so the readers can respond in a more appropriate manner

1)...You are an ugly woman from whoever whos last chance at a relationship discovered Thailands allure and doesn't return yer calls.

2)...You Think of yerself as a feminist and make demands on the male people that get stuck on yer web that no self respecting human would tolerate.

the last 5 victims escaped to Thailand. You couldn't reignite the flames when you reapeared as there were none to begin with

3)...You thought that by transporting yourself to Thailand you would find a hansum man. But you became invisible & you couldnt score.

or the final option

4) Your daughter is getting a little past her best before date and all the previous candidates are with beautiful, accomodating Thai ladies

& this post is attempting to shame them back to wherever the hill yer from to complete her & yer uncomplete life unsuccessfuly.

This questionaire is no more unreasonable or unscientific than that posed by the OP. Rediculous you say? HHHmmm.

More rediculous or less than the original post.

And calling the posters that do play your game but by thier own rules Liars. The deception you see is reflective deception on yer own thoughts.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sociological research reveals that no one emigrates away from home unless situation at home undesirable. Or, if home is good, we stay there. War, famine, disease have all been promoters of emigration and remain so today. But today we also have increased wealth for many elders in terms of pensions and retirement funds so these folks have new opportunities. If they don't like the home scene, for weather, safety, personal health or the women, they are now free to move away. Seems simple to me.

Why such folks move to T'land is another question. Cost of living, weather, available women and most of all, a dependable , yearlong retirement scheme offered by the govt. How many retire to Taiwan which compares favorably with T'land? Few, coz no retirement visa offered. PI can offer some kind of retirement visa but brings poor personal safety and lousy medical services, lousy food and a crumbling infrastructure. You may find other possibilities throughout the world.

Sociological research reveals that people who quote fictitious sociological research really should stick to talking to themselves.

25+ trips here over the past 6 1/2 years living in Singapore & still trying to work out why I love coming to Thailand so much, I know it can't be 100% down to the women as I actually prefer Fillipinas...

Left Singapore at the end of Feb on a "Study Tour of Asia" to see where I do want to relocate too, 6 weeks in Malaysia was a bit dull but 3rd week in Thailand & still have a huge grin on my face :)

Next stop 2 weeks in the Philippines to see the gf (well it is our 5 year anniversary & she's none too pleased about my plans), then on to Bali for 4 weeks which although another place I love, I know I'll be itching to get back to Thailand.

• 1 month later...

I arrived in 98 representing a foreign company. Meanwhile I started my own business. I work with Thai people every day; sales, admin, workers. For me this gives an extra dimension to my stay in Thailand. As long as my health allows me to work I will continue, I cannot immagine that being retired is more fun and rewarding than doing my job.

Many people come here for positive reasons, not for the negative ones which you have given as choices.

I agree. The poll seems to presume that you were desperate to leave your home country for some reason, rather than just keen to live somewhere new. I moved here because I like Thailand, not because I hated the UK.

Here's the post I was looking for. I think the OP might be suffering from the "There is no world but mine" syndrome.

I went there to teach, never had any other motive. From Korea to Thailand.

Say, do ya want to know how to make a small fortune in LoS? Go there with a large fortune and start a business.

I got 60 yo in 2008, and I thought it would be time to make a plan for retirement.

Didn't want to end up in a nursing place, so I thought a multi generation community would be a good idea. Working in a bank and having saved a bit, I thought it would not be a financial problem. I started to look for other people that had the same idea. Unfortunately no one could get a house big enough in Heidelberg or surroundings.

I still had time, so I thought I'd travel a bit to Asia in winter time. I had problems with my knee at this time. The sun in Thailand cured it, so I changed my plans a bit and started to look for a place to retire in Thailand. Then I met this girl in Pattaya one night, and we immediately fell in love. She told me that she had a daughter, and she was actually looking for someone who could guarantee that her daughter would get a good education and not end up in a bar. So, we made a plan for a community in Thailand.

My gf stopped working in a bar in summer 2013, and I finally moved over to Thailand in December 2013.

Just these people and iinstitutions in Heidelberg wouldn't accept it, but that's another story.

Edited by micmichd

Reason for visiting- girls and beaches, or girls staying with me on the beaches.

reason for staying- wife and very little PC BS.

Of course it's different living here than just visiting, but whenever I feel PO with it, the sight of a cute slim girl with long black hair wearing short shorts and those looooooong coffee coloured legs cheers me up again.

I don't know who "they" are (hence no vote) but I came here following work many years working in China and Hong Kong, it was only logical compared to the alternatives and my preferences, at that time.

I consider my move here to have been one on my better moves in life and would not change it, given my time over again.