Elderly Visa Runners.

There must be a fair ammount of older visa runners out there. What would happen in the event of their not being able to do the runs in the event of advanced age, illness etc? Would they be forced to leave or can concessions be made?

I can’t see any bending of the regulations to allow for age.

On a recent trip to Penang there was an elderly gentleman, must have been in his 80’s, he had to be helped on and off the mini bus and could hardly walk. Just what future holds for him here I can't imagine.

Geoffphuket

On a recent recent run one of the customer was a gentlemen from Switzerland , 87 years old.

He had a yearly visa , but had to leave every 90days.

I have also seen people in wheelcheers crossing the border.

I'm afraid but geoffphuket is correct , no bending of the rule for any reason.

There must be a fair ammount of older visa runners out there. What would happen in the event of their not being able to do the runs in the event of advanced age, illness etc? Would they be forced to leave or can concessions be made?
The visa-exempt entry allowing a stay of 30 days (if this is what you are referring to) was never meant for people who wish to stay in Thailand for a long period.

A person over 50 can apply for a non-O visa at a Thai consulate for the purpose of investigating retirement possibility in Thailand and after arrival in Thailand can apply at any immigration office for annual extensions of stay.

A person of any age entering without a visa is always required to leave before his permission to stay expires. The only concession is that he can apply for a short extension of stay if his departure is delayed beyond the 30 days.

--------------

Maestro

The visa-exempt entry allowing a stay of 30 days (if this is what you are referring to) was never meant for people who wish to stay in Thailand for a long period.

A person over 50 can apply for a non-O visa at a Thai consulate for the purpose of investigating retirement possibility in Thailand and after arrival in Thailand can apply at any immigration office for annual extensions of stay.

A person of any age entering without a visa is always required to leave before his permission to stay expires. The only concession is that he can apply for a short extension of stay if his departure is delayed beyond the 30 days.

--------------

Maestro

Is it possible to apply for a short exension of stay in Don Muang (BKK International) Airport should the flight be cancelled or delayed ?

Cheers

Is it possible to apply for a short exension of stay in Don Muang (BKK International) Airport should the flight be cancelled or delayed ?
It can indeed happen that a passenger checks in for his flight departing in the evening of the last day of his permitted stay, the flight gets cancelled, passengers get put up in a hotel and leave on a flight the following day. Immigration is prepared for such an eventuality and the airline coordinates with Immigration so that the passenger in question will not be considered on overstay. Just leave it all to the airline if ever you should find yourself in this situation.

--------------

Maestro

Thanks for all your replies. But what would happen if the visa runner obtained a letter from a Doctor which stated they were no longer fit to travel? Same as above?

Not fit to travel...not fit to be here would probably be the attitude. The regulations are chiseled in stone

Thanks for all your replies. But what would happen if the visa runner obtained a letter from a Doctor which stated they were no longer fit to travel? Same as above?
Then the tourist would presumably be hospitalised and he should ask the hospital to arrange for his extension of stay until such time that he can leave the hospital or, if he or his health insurer chose, is transferred to a hospital in his home country.

--------------

Maestro

I think that this is very much dependant upon where you live.

If you are a disabled person surrounded by many able bodied people all trying to do a visa run at a border crossing where the officials are just trying to do their job but being swamped, then you will get very little help (ever been to Aranyapatet.... spelling)

But, if you are a disabled person, getting on in years, whatever... if you pick the right spot then you shouldn't have a problem... I have one friend, wheelchair bound (I have several, but only one that this applies to, and only one in a wheelchair) who would get to the border and ask the Thai official on this side to help him..... never a problem..... "go sit in the shade, we'll sort it out" was the general gist.

Not fit to travel...not fit to be here would probably be the attitude. The regulations are chiseled in stone

What are yoy talking about???

I saw a guy at AEK Udon Hospital Immigration bureau who obviousely was in deep shit: he got both of his legs cut off (by an accident? I did not talk to him, he had enough people around him discussing his case) He obviousel was very upset, his visa was to expire in a few days and there was no way he could travel, Seems the immigration guys were not nice to him.

That's what you call "NOT FIT TO BE HERE?"

What are yoy talking about???

I saw a guy at AEK Udon Hospital Immigration bureau who obviousely was in deep shit: he got both of his legs cut off (by an accident? I did not talk to him, he had enough people around him discussing his case) He obviousel was very upset, his visa was to expire in a few days and there was no way he could travel, Seems the immigration guys were not nice to him.

That's what you call "NOT FIT TO BE HERE?"

I have always sung the praises of the Udon section but i,m sad to say it is now building up a terrible reputation with many of the regulars.

Since re opening the new officers seem to be lacking in any sort of understanding, patience or sympathy.

Many along with myself now go the extra 56 odd kilometres to Nong Khai to do our visa requirements.

Bring back NINA and her associates who for most of us where very good and helpful. :o

Nong Khai immigration was and is still a pleasure to visit, especially when the the officer who does the Udon duties is away. ( Mon and Fridays ) :D

We used to have meetings periodically to discuss and ask any visa issues along with meeting fellow farang and most important of all create a friendly enviroment, mutual understanding and respect.

I might add the officer in charge would come down from N.Khai and was a very nice and amiable person. This was much appreciated by everyone. :D

marshbags :D:D:D

P.S. we always had a drink and some nice cakes provided courtesy of the AEK Udon CEO and his administration every time, along with a gift on special occasions. :D

Edited by marshbags