Two New Suspects Emerge in Klongchan Fraud Case

Jacob Maslow

Two new suspects have been added to the list in the Klongchan Credit Union Cooperative case by the Department of Special Investigation (DSI). The multi-billion baht fraud case is being investigated by a new committee.

New findings point to Jiradet Worapiankul and Watchanont Nawa-isararak for possible wrongdoing. Mr. Jiradet is a former advisor to Kittiratt Na-Ranong, ex-finance minister. Mr. Watchanont is president of the Ratpracha Credit Union.

The Anti-Money Laundering Office found that both Mr. Watchanont and Mr. Jiradet had received 2.5 billion baht from the credit union’s bank account. Hundreds of cheques were issued by Supachai Srisupa-aksorn, former chairman of the credit union, between 2008 and 2011. Allegedly, Mr. Supachai transferred money from credit union accounts that were held by himself and other individuals.

According to Pol Lt Col Somboon Sarasit, the co-op had drawn up fraudulent contracts that intended to lend 13 billion baht to 27 different companies.

The two new suspects were left out of the initial DSI probe. These cases, along with the cases of four other suspects, are expected to reach court by early May. The four targeted suspects include Mr. Supachai; Miss Saranya Manmad, former financial affairs deputy manager; Lapat Somkham, ex-director of the co-op; and Kirsada Meeboonmak, ex-chief of lending.

tvn.png
-- 2015-04-25

....... " Mr. Jiradet is a former advisor to Kittiratt Na-Ranong, ex-finance minister" .....

Another politically motivated prosecution proving the junta's lack of impartiality, or just another rat caught out?

just another rat caught out?thumbsup.gif

Tis interesting though that - as yet - no Dems or big name yellow shirt affiliates have been investigated for any wrongdoing anywhere.

I imagine that's because they are all good people...

....... " Mr. Jiradet is a former advisor to Kittiratt Na-Ranong, ex-finance minister" .....

Another politically motivated prosecution proving the junta's lack of impartiality, or just another rat caught out?

Tis interesting though that - as yet - no Dems or big name yellow shirt affiliates have been investigated for any wrongdoing anywhere.

The new suspects are ALLEGED to be part of the scandal. If they have nothing to hide, they should welcome the inquiry. Never mind their political views or former positions, I am sure they welcome this opportunity to have their names cleared.

Maybe

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I don't agree. There are rotten apples in every barrel, in everything.

But somehow by their very nature some groups seem to attract more of the bad apples.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

One of the questions that many people have asked is how did the head of the Klongchan credit union get away with it for so long? alt=whistling.gif>

because it is very Thai not to ask questions. remember: up to him.

One of the questions that many people have asked is how did the head of the Klongchan credit union get away with it for so long? alt=whistling.gif>

because it is very Thai not to ask questions. remember: up to him.

"because it is very Thai not to ask questions. remember: up to him". How true.

Plus many folks would be frightened to ask questions:

- Because of fear of some form of reprisal.

- To question or to challenge in front of other people would label that person as 'not polite / mai suparb', hence it rarely happens.

I live in Chiang Mai, just recently a neighbor tried to rally several other neighbors to go to 'windup' party about a great cash investment plan with 10% interest return per month or something similar.

- My family is very careful about such things and they said 'no not going' immediately.

- Two neighbors went, one invested 500,000Baht on the spot (she had the cash ready in her bag). The other neighbor admits privately 'initially nobody

wanted to go', she had no intention to invest, but she went 'so that the inviter wouldn't lose face'.

It's complicated.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

New findings point to Jiradet Worapiankul and Watchanont Nawa-isararak for possible wrongdoing. Mr. Jiradet is a former advisor to Kittiratt Na-Ranong, ex-finance minister.

Hard to believe this whole episode isn't a white lie for the good of the economy.

Well said X 3.

Man am I sick of red-shirts who keep claiming all the prosecutions are politically biased.

Face up to the facts : every aspect of Thai society is riddled with corruption - but your Pheu-Thai MP cronies are the lowest rats of the lot. It's no surprise at all that they keep getting caught now they don't have Chalerm and the police or the DSI to cover up for them.

It really is pathetic. I am happy when any dirty official gets what is coming to him, whatever the colour of his shirt, but I am not surprised at all that so many of them are linked to Pheu-Thai. They should all be in jail for abuse of power after that amnesty disgrace.

• Like 2

what needs to happen is that anyone caught out fiddling the books or assisting in the frauds/corruption need to be jailed and have all their wealth confiscated as this is the only way they will stop it. Currently they keep most of what they gained through corruption especially if they put it in other family members accounts/names. If they knew it would all be seized including their bank accounts, houses, lands etc and that they would all do serious jail time instead of inactive postings they might actually think twice about it but when they are not punished why should they care. Doesnt matter what side of politics they support, they all need to be hit hard

Agree, and I add:

- IMHO there should be no statute of limitations on corruption.

- Punishment should be severe, and over a certain amount say 1mBaht, mandatory jail for one year, rising to longer jail terms for higher amounts, all mandatory.

- Confiscation of the money or property involved including property of wife, children or proxies if there is evidence to prove this.

- Shaming. Full page photo and full details in 5 newspapers for 10 days, paid for by the criminal or family or out of public funds if need be.

- People convicted of corruption, any amount totally and absolutely prohibited from being elected to parliament, and totally prohibited from being involved in absolutely any form of political activity for life, plus totally prohibited from holding any position in national or local government employment or committees etc., for life.

Edited by scorecard

Man am I sick of red-shirts who keep claiming all the prosecutions are politically biased.

Face up to the facts : every aspect of Thai society is riddled with corruption - but your Pheu-Thai MP cronies are the lowest rats of the lot. It's no surprise at all that they keep getting caught now they don't have Chalerm and the police or the DSI to cover up for them.

It really is pathetic. I am happy when any dirty official gets what is coming to him, whatever the colour of his shirt, but I am not surprised at all that so many of them are linked to Pheu-Thai. They should all be in jail for abuse of power after that amnesty disgrace.

Yea but the amnesty bill was supposed to take care of all of this, all corruption was to have been forgotten and forgiven remember. The corrupt could have kept their loot and everything would have been happy, happy and reconciled. Only problem those at the bottom would have been left wondering where there money went.

Could it be that more than the fair share of those who are being exposed as corrupt have connections in one way or another to the PT administration shows why the amnesty bill was so badly needed ?

Agree, and this is why I have deep hesitation about reconciliation.

I strongly suspect that the pt / udd folks are still hoping that by pushing the 'need for reconciliation' they really mean 'agree to forget / agree to whitewash' the past wrongs, the past criminal activity, the past corruption etc., any color.

If this does happen then IMHO Thailand makes no progress whatever to gain stronger and absolute recognition and respect for the rule of law, and absolute respect for the due, and fair, process of the law. IMHO if there is not strong progress on this point then Thailand doesn't move forward.

I know this from my own extended Thai family and especially one old 'aunty', most of them believe that the law should be whatever is good for them case by case. They also believe the law is 'up to you' to be clever enough to dream up an often silly and illogical argument.

'Aunty' has no respect whatever for the rights of others, she gets herself into trouble regularly, has regular accidents, most times she's in the wrong but she just refuses to acknowledge she has done something wrong and damaged other peoples property or injured people. This kicks in her companion beliefs: 'it's up to them' and 'if they weren't on the road etc., then the accident wouldn't have happened, so they are at fault, its their problem not mine'.

On one occasion the local chief cop tried to show her the printed law, she refused to even look at it and kept claiming there is no written law, this document is just a fake.

I say again, IMHO if Thailand makes no progress whatever to gain stronger and absolute recognition and respect for the rule of law, and absolute respect for the, due process of the law, then Thailand doesn't move forward.

I add to my own comment: " Agree, and this is why I have deep hesitation about reconciliation.

I strongly suspect that the pt / udd folks are still hoping that by pushing the 'need for reconciliation' they really mean 'agree to forget / agree to whitewash' the past wrongs, the past criminal activity, the past corruption etc., any color."

On may occasions on these threads I have asked the red supporters to explain what they mean by reconciliation, what would it look like, what would the reconciliation process be, what would the activities be?

There has never been one answer.

The Anti-Money Laundering Office found that both Mr. Watchanont and Mr. Jiradet had received 2.5 billion baht from the credit union’s bank account. Hundreds of cheques were issued .........

2500 Million Baht,
2.500.000.000 Baht
With an average monthly income of 20.000-30.000 baht, it is interesting how they could booking thousands of millions bahts back and forth without being asked.

Edited by tomacht8