Names for GARD/Acid Reflux medicines? (H2 blockers & PPI's)

banglassie

I'm wondering if some good soul in here knows of some brand names or generics that are usual here in Thailand for the following meds?

1. H2 Blockers.

Here are some names I have found: ranitidine (Zantac), cimetidine (Tagamet) and famotidine (Pepcid). Are these usual medicines? I have never used anything else than alka seltzers or Gaviscon before. Which one will most pharmacies know? Do I need to get to a pharmacy like boots or similar? Or will a hole-in-the wall do the trick? I'm perfectly fine with generics.

2. proton pump inhibitors (PPI's)

Read something about these as well. omeprazole (Prilosec, Nexium) seems to be a prefered choice(?), can I find these here in Thailand. The site said script might be needed, but from my knowledge nothing that is not narcotic or can be a precursor to narcotics are scripted in that way (i.e. only illegal classified substanses are really hard to get outside of hospital pharmacies).
Same regarding these, are there any other good brands, any good generics. What should I ask for? I expect the staff at pharmacies to know absolutely nothing, so I like to have all the knowledge I can before I go. (Usually when my wife goes she will come back with a zip-lock bag with mixed meds saying "They told me to eat one of each 3 pills 2 times a day", when I ask what it is she has no idea, nothing written on the bag as well, really professional...

So, if you have any other suggestions I'm all ears.

**And yea, no moral-pointers are needed... I know I should work out more and stop being a slacker. I am only in my early 30's, and while I'm not overweight I have become very lazy the last year due to computer work instead of an active job like I had before. And I know I should really cut back on Saengsom and Hong Tong, can't be healthy to have 2-3 of those smaller bottles a week in 2-3 sessions... And I am pretty sure that's the main trigger.. That is no problem for me, I can easily avoid any alcohol if needed, but as for now it seems the damage is already done, so I will try to solve it with other help as well. (and no, pls don't ask me to stop spicy food, cut down on garlic and onions, stop eating deep-fried chicken or this and that, cause then I rather live with the pain.. I am willing to try everything else before I stop eating food I love, food that is supposedly healthy in most aspects (mostly vegitarian, fish and chicken at times, lots of herbs and nutriotions. So I am not really worried there..)

Big thanks in advance to you who took the time to read and answer!

Edited by banglassie

Ranitidine: Acicare, Histac, Ranidine, Ratic and others. Thai FDA Category D, meaning a first grade pharmacist is required to dispense. This basically translates to only available in the larger pharmacies and hospital pharmacies.

Omeprazol: Desec, Dosate, Duogas, Eucid and lots of others. Also FDA Category D.

Edited by AyG

As above, these meds are all available over the counter in Thailand and come in multiple local generic equivalents.

For PPI, omeprazole is the most widely available and while it has many, many brand names, Miracid is probably the most widely recognized.

For H2 blocker, both cimetidine and ranitidine are available in many, many brands.

if the pharmacies your wife goes to provide bags of unlabelled pills, though, I would be concerned about the quality of their meds. Only buy from pharmacies with air conditioning and preferrably staffed by people who recognize common generics by generic name -- there is at least one such pharmacy in every provincial town.

Is this a self diagnosis? As you need to be tested for h. pylori and treated if present.

MIRACID which is available OTC at most local pharmacists for about B60/14 caps contains 20mg Omeprazole.

Works very nicely for me.

Big green box.

(NOT btw, the Miracid we used to put on gardens in the USA.)

Edited by dddave

As above, these meds are all available over the counter in Thailand and come in multiple local generic equivalents.

For PPI, omeprazole is the most widely available and while it has many, many brand names, Miracid is probably the most widely recognized.

For H2 blocker, both cimetidine and ranitidine are available in many, many brands.

if the pharmacies your wife goes to provide bags of unlabelled pills, though, I would be concerned about the quality of their meds. Only buy from pharmacies with air conditioning and preferrably staffed by people who recognize common generics by generic name -- there is at least one such pharmacy in every provincial town.

Is this a self diagnosis? As you need to be tested for h. pylori and treated if present.

Thanks Sheryl (and all others!)

Yea, I would not chose the pharmacy my wife choses in the first hand. We live in BKK so there are plenty of shops around. There is actually one generic shop and one more serious shop door to door up here in Thewet. Both have aircon, but the first one does business by pushing down prices as much as possible.

And yes, it's a self diagnosis. However I have suffered from heartburns since I was quite young. I had the same problem in Norway and Sweden, but only after some binge drinking, like a festival, or after lots of terrible food and inactivity. And while I could be wrong and it could be related to h. pylori, I feel that going to the doc will be the final thing I does. It's not really that bad yet, it's just really annoying. But looking back at previous experiences it makes perfect sense why it would get worse now compared with my lifestyle.

To AyG:

Thai FDA Category D? Are you sure? many times I have found more medicines in well sorted generics hole-in-wall shops. Sometimes I had problem finding ultracet and gabapentin/lyrica at bigger pharmacies while still readily avaliable in the Chinese home-cooked shops. I am well aware that quality changes all the time and that they are not known for being realiable, but I would assume some H2 blockers where easier than that to find(?)

Most drugs are in Category D...easily 80-90% of what is one the shelves.

Obviously not all pharmacies are in full compliance of the Category D requirement of having a first grade pharmacist on the premises at all times. For certain drugs this is enforced more stringently than for others.

Most people with "heartburn" have h. pylori and failing to treat it would be a big mistake, not only does it turn a potentially curable problem into a chronic one but it is a risk factor for cancers of the stomach and esophagus in the long term.

I've used most of the meds here for stomach acid and the best thing has been half a teaspon of baking soda in a glass of water. No side effects and only now use on rare occasions have acid.

The side effect is elevated sodium levels. It may or may not be a problem depending on your diet and other factors. If used only rarely as you said, it's probably okay. It's good for immediate relief, whereas PPIs and others are mostly preventive.

• 4 months later...

Hi help if possible I want to know if ranitidine 300mg or local equivalent can be found in thailand thanks in advance and yes been on them for years

I suggest that you take the trouble to read this topic from the start. If that's too much effort, just look for my postings.

Hi help if possible I want to know if ranitidine 300mg or local equivalent can be found in thailand thanks in advance and yes been on them for years

I suggest that you take the trouble to read this topic from the start. If that's too much effort, just look for my postings.

I have which is why I posted the question conflicting posts some say yes some say no simple question really sorry if you didn't like it but no need to be patronising now is there

I have which is why I posted the question conflicting posts some say yes some say no simple question really sorry if you didn't like it but no need to be patronising now is there

I'm not being patronising. I'm simply pointing out that you are a time waster. Sheryl wrote "As above, these meds are all available over the counter in Thailand and come in multiple local generic equivalents." She's the ultimate authority, and there's nothing more to say on the subject.

If I plan on making a pig of myself by eating cheese or a lot of butter, I take Miracid in advance. Alcohol doesn't help with heartburn either. You might want to Google that. I always have Antacyl in the car in case I get a mild discomfort.

• 1 year later...

First of all, understand that these medications do not cure reflux. They only make it less painful by reducing the acidity of the stomach contents, the reflux still happens. The best way to reduce reflux is through lifestyle changes as follows:

- lose weight (VERY effective for many people, sometimes enough by itself)

- stop smoking if you smoke

-eliminate or reduce caffeine

-avoid eating for 2 hours before you lie down

-elevate head of the bed

Secondly, once you are on medications that reduce acid production, when you stop there is a rebound increase in acidity that can last weeks or even months and for many people makes it impossible to stop. The pain from the rebound can be as bad or worse than the original pain was.

And lastly, like all meds, they have side effects, especially when taken longterm as tends to happen because of the above. Suggest you read up on those.

Consequently the best apporach IMO is to focus on the lifestyle chabges that actually decrease reflux and take short-acting antacids (Gaviscon and the like) when necessary for temporary symotomatic relief. If that approach becomes impractical (i.e. if you find you are having to take antacids multiple times every day) then the meds are as follows (genberic names - there are innumerable brands on the maket)

1. Rantidine (H2 blocker)

2. Cimetidine (H2 blocker)

3. Omeprazole, lansoprazole, esomeprazole etc (PPIs)

The above are listed in ascending order according to how severe the rebound effect can be. Hence I would start with ranitidine as it is easier to get off of. however the PPIs are more powerful.

Doctors tend to quickly prescribe PPIs. In the short term this is a successful strategy as symptoms usually rapidly improve. However, for the reasons outlined above, this is not necessarily such a good idea.