Almost denied rentry at Don Muang airport yesterday

I am a retired Australian and an Australian passport holder, and a very frequent visitor to Thailand over the past 25 years - always as a tourist and always by air (not by land). I rarely obtain tourist visas to enter Thailand as I use the VOA method.

Yesterday, for the first time in 25 years, as I presented my passport etc to the immigration officer at Don Muang, they took me to a back room for an interview. He told me Australians cannot get a Visa On Arrival (VOA) and that I had to get a tourist visa from a Thai embassy before coming to Thailand. They said only ASEAN countries can use the VOA method to enter Thailand.

He asked me where I was going and whether I would be working in Thailand and did I have a Thai wife - I never work in Thailand.

The immigration officer's English was quite limited - so the discussions were limited.

As a long time frequent visitor I knew not to debate it with him and remain respectful. He allowed me to enter "this time" and repeated the warning about needing the tourist visa in future.

I have no history of crimes or immigration offences

I have rechecked the Thai immigration website, and Australians can use the VOA method.

So I am confused.

My questions to you are:

1. Did he simply get it wrong, so I have nothing to worry about n the future?

2. Was he being overly concerned that I would be working in Thailand? (I had visited Thailand 5 times in the past 12 months for a total of 6 months stay)

3. I know that I can only stay in Thailand under a VOA for 3 months in any 6 months period - and I had stayed more than that recently - but not once did he raise that aspect of it - perhaps the immigration computer raised this as a red flag and he wasn't sure what the technical reason was?

Confused.

Australians are not entitled to VOA.

They are entitled to Visa Exempt Entries.

Two different things entirely.

A VOA is limited to a few nationalities and gives a stay of 15 days at a cost of 1,000 Baht.

There is no limit to the number of Visa Exempt Entries unless they are back to back.

They might start asking questions if they suspect you of working illegally.

• Like 2

"I have rechecked the Thai immigration website, and Australians can use the VOA method."

Can you put a up link for this please.

Semantics I know, but we have to assume our OP is referring to a Tourist Visa Exemption (which he can get) and not a Visa On Arrival (which he can not).

Provided our OP can demonstrate is is NOT working in Thailand and is a genuine tourist then he should be OK in future (was anything marked in your passport?)

There is no "3 months in any 6" rule for visa exemptions, that went by the board when the 15 days at land borders rule was introduced.

Probably just an over-enthusiastic officer having a bad day, for all we know there could be a requirement to interview X 'tourists' per day.

You are entering based on a visa exempt entry.

Your questioning was prompted by frequently visiting Thailand, making them suspicious of the reason for your visit (in essence if you are working illegally here).

Getting a tourist visa or multiple non-O visa (if over 50) would be better and prevents problems in the future.

There is no 3 months in a period of 6 months rule for some years now.

• Like 1

I would just show a plane ticket leaving Thailand within a specified period as that is a lot easier than explaining your source(s) of income etc. assuming of course you are a genuine visitor and are leaving by air, but the OP seems to state that he is.

1. Did he simply get it wrong, so I have nothing to worry about n the future?

2. Was he being overly concerned that I would be working in Thailand? (I had visited Thailand 5 times in the past 12 months for a total of 6 months stay)

He didn't get it wrong. They had the right to interview you but you have nothing to worry about.

Immigration are after people working illegally and seem to be randomly checking people like yourself that are entering a lot on the visa exemption rule.

Being Australian you can enter without a visa under the Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme and stay for 30 days. That's different to VOA. Easily confused but nonetheless different. Some countries don't have the visa exempt luxury (e.g. China) and so they have to apply for a VOA and can only stay 15 days.

Visa exempt entry is allowed under the law and they cannot refuse you entry unless (among other reasons) they have good reason that you are working or can't financially support yourself.

If you want to avoid (not guaranteed) the possibility of being interviewed again you should get a tourist or non-immigration 'O' or 'O-A' visa before coming next time. But you don't have to.

If you do come back again without a visa it would be a good idea to bring proof of your pension income. Then, if interviewed, you can prove sufficient income to support yourself without working. Not necessary but a good idea to satisfy the IO.

3. I know that I can only stay in Thailand under a VOA for 3 months in any 6 months period - and I had stayed more than that recently - but not once did he raise that aspect of it - perhaps the immigration computer raised this as a red flag and he wasn't sure what the technical reason was?

That's wrong. The 3/6 mnth rule was cancelled some time ago. Although it may still be on some Embassy websites.

There is no limit to the amount of visa exempt entries you can have.

The reason for the red flag was because of the number of visa exempt entries you've had and not the number of days you've stayed.

You've nothing to worry about. Unless they change the law you can forever enter using the 30 day visa exempt rule. But just be aware that they may ask for proof that you aren't working and can financially support yourself.

Enjoy your stay!

Its crap I am an Aussie and was there in Aug-14 and also Jan-15 and entered both times on VOA got 30 days as I have been doing for 20 years. Thailand is now turning into a far more severe state of fear and intimidation.

Its crap I am an Aussie and was there in Aug-14 and also Jan-15 and entered both times on VOA got 30 days as I have been doing for 20 years. Thailand is now turning into a far more severe state of fear and intimidation.

For 20 years you have been getting a 30day VOA when you arrive with your aussie passport.....

Ummmm, no you have not.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 1

It's not a very long topic (yet) but even if it was I suggest that you at least could have bothered to read the answers posted by Mods who do know what they're talking about re' Visa matters, rather than just repeating the OP's mistake re' Visa Waiver entries.

• Like 2

Your questioning was prompted by frequently visiting Thailand, making them suspicious of the reason for your visit (in essence if you are working illegally here).

Getting a tourist visa or multiple non-O visa (if over 50) would be better and prevents problems in the future.

That sounds right. (except I do not think there is that 3 in six rule anymore).

Same thing happened to me last year....too many visa exempt stamps, and frequent "visits".

I finally broke down and got the 90 day non O, and retirement extension. I am very content now, and so (I hope) is immigration.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

You can find it at Suvarnabhumi Airport Website: No Visa on Arrival for Australian Citizens. I attached a Screenshot of the Website, but here is the Link too: http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/907-visa-on-arrival

You can only get a Visa Exemption on Arrival. I did not see it at the airport Website, but details are here: http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/changes-visa-exempt.php

Australia is right on the second place of the alphabetical list. Enter Thailand through an international airport and you get 30 days, but at land border checkpoints you will only get 15 days.

post-33413-0-92973500-1430040873_thumb.j

What a wonderful opportunity and time to close this topic.

The correct info has been given very clearly, but, some will now use the time here now to turn it into a slanging match !

Those who read the thread and still post wrong information deserve the slanging.

That sounds right. (except I do not think there is that 3 in six rule anymore).

Same thing happened to me last year....too many visa exempt stamps, and frequent "visits".

I finally broke down and got the 90 day non O, and retirement extension. I am very content now, and so (I hope) is immigration.

Understood, it will make things easier but would you be kind enough to set out the costs involved?

We seldom know the real costs of getting out visa/entry permits for foreign travel.

For the Visa Waiver, I know that the cost is nothing, you get in line and get a stamp and you leave inside 30 days or buy a Non Imm-O visa at Immigration..

For your Tourist visa, did you have to travel, if so, at what cost and time?

Secure courier?

Any fees involved?

I have a retirement extension because it's easier than the married extension.

The costs are 1,900b for the extension and 1,000b for every re-entry (or 3,800b multiple re-entry)

plus having 800,000b tied up in the bank or paying the Brit Emb about 3,000b and a couple of visits to get a letter of proof of funds.

Since we only visit Thailand once per year the costs for 5 years are about 20,000b inc travel costs and 90 day reports

In contrast my wife's Spanish ID is good for 5 years, renewal will cost about 500b in 2018 and be good for another 5 years.

First she had to get an EEA Family Member Visa to enter Spain. Costs (didn't keep records) maybe 10,000b

In Spain the initial costs (I didn't keep notes) were maybe in the region of 15,000b - 20,000b (travel, secure courier and fees) and took 5 months to complete.Subsequent 5 year renewals should be almost automatic (same as for Spanish Citizens) at a cost of maybe 500b.

I think that the cost of visas is significant!

I have always been under the impression that the only country you have a legal right to enter is your country of citizenship. Even then ,immigration officers can detain you and transfer you to law enforcement if there is any serious concerns on legal issues.

You do NOT have any legal or God give right to enter any other country, even if you have a valid visa. The final decision is up to immigration officers, who act as border security for people entering. Immigration officers are not law enforcement, they are part of the border security apparatus.

That's not really true. Immigration need a legal reason to deny entry. As long as you meet the conditions of entry, and don't fall into any categories excluding entry then they can't stop you.

I have always been under the impression that the only country you have a legal right to enter is your country of citizenship. Even then ,immigration officers can detain you and transfer you to law enforcement if there is any serious concerns on legal issues.

You do NOT have any legal or God give right to enter any other country, even if you have a valid visa. The final decision is up to immigration officers, who act as border security for people entering. Immigration officers are not law enforcement, they are part of the border security apparatus.

True, well unless you arrive on a Gun Ship LOL