US LACKS COHERENT POLICIES on Thailand

webfact

"The Thais expressed the hope that the US government understood the situation and appreciated the progress that had been achieved so far. Indeed, the ball was in the Americans' court."

The Junta has served out of bounds so America cannot return the play. America understands why the Junta went out of bounds but that doesn't justify playing ball.

The long term goals of the US is to continue to exercise its influence in Asia. With the obviously resurgent thinly veiled neo-colonialist agenda of China, the US can ill afford to exercise any policy that will cause it strategic loss.

All the whispers of downgrading ties and canceling of Cobra Gold, are just the US trying to exercise some form of control as it has done in Asia for as long as it has been here.

The US has long had the ability to exercise different ways of dealing with the autocratic regimes in ASEAN and this should not change.

Regardless of everything presently happening, Thailand is still the US's staunchest ally in South-east Asia. As history has shown, irrespective of the present regime, this should never be compromised for the good of all concerned.

Asia appears to be more closely defined as "related to the South China Sea".

There was a good article in Stars and Stripes (I think it was April 11th), that specifically addresses Thailand.

The U.S lacks coherent policies on just about everything. Been like that for the best part of the last 50 years.

Is that why they've been so successful over the past 50 years? The only super power left? I'd say they've done pretty well. Coherent polices aside.

• Like 2

Incoherent policies since Bush 2 was elected. coffee1.gif

But I was coherent when I gave up my citizenship after his election. wub.png

If you gave up citizenship just based on a President you have a poor understanding of how democracy in the US works, so maybe the nation is better without your input

LOL. Obviously a neo con. I know enough and looking back to the first decade of the millenium, I as not wrong. Next!

It is interesting to note that when Russel visited Bangkok, it coincided with the visit of Chinese senior defense officials. This time around, Marciel's trip came during the visit of Xu Qiliang, vice-chairman of China's Central Military Commission, following hot on the heels of Defense Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Pravit Wongsuwan to Beijing two weeks earlier. The frequency of Thai-Chinese high-level visits is the new hallmark of their relations.

The Thais will have to remeber that the Chinese will not adjust to the Thai sysytem " Mai Pen Rai " when it comes to paying for the assistance as they have got used to with US & Euro governments, then it will bring a lot hurt back

Both countries have ridiculously inexperienced neophytes running the show, who surround themselves with men and women of little talent and aptitude. For the U.S. to be preaching democracy to Thailand is the essence of madness, hubris and hypocrisy. Not saying Thailand could not use some sorely needed progress, but where is it going to come from? Suthep? The Dubai creature? Abhisit? Is there anyone in the country capable of providing the kind of leadership they need? I suppose the same could be said of the U.S. and the very sad and dismal upcoming election season.

I propose a cap of $10 million and a limit on the election cycle to 90 days. That would be fun.

Don't feel bad Thailand. Right now the U.S. lacks coherent policies regarding nearly every region in the world. I have never seen it this bad.

Maybe we could all be enlightened by your insight into US international policies? I for one am almost speechless awaiting your critique

-- Sad my country (USA) cannot see the positive change since the military took over and started to clean house and really, the Thaksin-Yingluck regime was an example of democracy? Does all a country have to do is have corrupt elections and though a "thug" or sister of a thug takes over and directs the country the wrong way, it is ok as long as a crippled country has had a "free election" and calls itself a democracy? (Yes, I know, Americans have voted in some "ting tong" presidents or congressmen but we are patient enough to wait four or eight years before we vote in the opposite party in and we do not belive in throwing out the constitution and rewriting a new one.) USA keeps hoping Thailand will have free democratic elections; yet, I do not think the USA is encouraging the military in Egypt to hurry up and have elections. (double standard)

Do I think General Prayut Chan-o-ch and the military be in office forever? No one wants this; but the sad situation that is NOT being done, is to educate the future voters in Thailand or Thai citizens themselves about how a democracy is runned What a Thai's civic duty is in their local community and nation-wide. How in a democracy you do not vote for the canidate that gives you the best bribe. All the military has done is enforce many laws/ building codes and such that already existed in the books but I see no attempt in educating the public of 1) what is a democracy 2) what is a Thai's civic duty. If you ask Thais what the difference between a dictatorship or democracy or totalitarian is, they give you a blank look. Most are not even educated about world history or world geography in the 21st Century. Having a "baby sitter" around will not solve Thai's problems in the long run. And to think General Prayuth wants article 44 of the interim constitution which would give him the power to override any branch of government in the name of national security, and absolve him of any legal responsibility--and still a control of censorship.coffee1.gif

Next, I am glad Europe and North America is questioning slave labor which in involved with the fishing industry or human trafficking (the Thai government cannot be pro-active and take care of this issue before #hit hits the fan...) And for the Nation newpaper to act like it is an honor to be buddies with China which has its hands in human trafficking,endangered animal trafficking, not following UN internatinal marinetime agreements...cheat cheat cheat and the West should be jealous of this? ---I don't think so. Thais should be ashamed to be associated with China as their close friends. But...black sheep attract black sheep. sad.png

Edited by toenail

-- Sad my country (USA) cannot see the positive change since the military took over and started to clean house and really, the Thaksin-Yingluck regime was an example of democracy? Does all a country have to do is have corrupt elections and though a "thug" or "ting-tong" takes over and directs the country the wrong way it is ok as long as a crippled country has had a "free election" and calls itself a democracy. I do not think the USA is encouraging the military in Egypt to hurry up and have elections. (double standard)

Do I think General Prayut Chan-o-ch and the military be in office forever? No one wants this; but the sad situation that is NOT being done, is to educate the future voters in Thailand or Thai citizens themselves about how a democracy is runned? What their civic duty is in their local community and nation-wide. How in a democracy you do not vote for the canidate that gives you the best bribe. All the military had done is enforce many laws/ buidling codes and such that already existed in the books but I see no attempt in educationg the public of 1) what is a democracy 2) what is their civic duty. If you ask the Thais what the difference between a dictatorship or democracy or totalitarian is, they cannot. Most are not even educated about world history or world geography in the 21st Century. Having a "baby sitter" around will not solve Thai's problems in the long run. And to think General Prayuth wants article 44 of the interim constitution which would give him the power to override any branch of government in the name of national security, and absolve him of any legal responsibility--and still a control of censorship.coffee1.gif

Next, I am glad Europe and North America is questioning slave labor which in involved with the fishing industry or human trafficking (the Thai government cannot be pro-active and take care of this issue before #hit hits the fan...) And for the Nation newpaper to act like it is an honor to be buddies with China which has its hands in human trafficking,endangered animal trafficking, not following UN internatinal marinetime agreements...cheat cheat cheat and the West should be jealous of this? ---I don't think so. Thais should be ashamed to be associated with China as their close friends. But...black sheep attract black sheep. sad.png

-- Sad my country (USA) cannot see the positive change since the military took over and started to clean house and really, the Thaksin-Yingluck regime was an example of democracy? Does all a country have to do is have corrupt elections and though a "thug" or sister of a thug takes over and directs the country the wrong way, it is ok as long as a crippled country has had a "free election" and calls itself a democracy? (Yes, I know, Americans have voted in some "ting tong" presidents or congressmen but we are patient enough to wait four or eight years before we vote in the opposite party in and we do not belive in throwing out the constitution and rewriting a new one.) USA keeps hoping Thailand will have free democratic elections; yet, I do not think the USA is encouraging the military in Egypt to hurry up and have elections. (double standard)

Do I think General Prayut Chan-o-ch and the military be in office forever? No one wants this; but the sad situation that is NOT being done, is to educate the future voters in Thailand or Thai citizens themselves about how a democracy is runned What a Thai's civic duty is in their local community and nation-wide. How in a democracy you do not vote for the canidate that gives you the best bribe. All the military has done is enforce many laws/ building codes and such that already existed in the books but I see no attempt in educating the public of 1) what is a democracy 2) what is a Thai's civic duty. If you ask Thais what the difference between a dictatorship or democracy or totalitarian is, they give you a blank look. Most are not even educated about world history or world geography in the 21st Century. Having a "baby sitter" around will not solve Thai's problems in the long run. And to think General Prayuth wants article 44 of the interim constitution which would give him the power to override any branch of government in the name of national security, and absolve him of any legal responsibility--and still a control of censorship.coffee1.gif

I see you either have a flair for sarcasm or some of the rosiest spectacles.