Container from UK to Thailand

didster

Dear All,

We need to ship a container of our furniture and goods over from UK to Chiang Mai.

Any body any recommendations for firms who do this or anyone had any experience of this. How long did it take to receive the shipment?

Thanks

I looked into bringing my personal stuff over in a 20ft container from Devon to CM in Sept 2013. I had expected a cost of about 100,000 baht but Schenker's quote came out as almost twice that including an estimate for the import duty (there wasn't anything with high duty in the mix, either). Given the value of the items it just didn't seem worth it so I dropped the idea. I am about to go and make a much pared down selection and just send some boxes over here but could be open to sharing a container so please PM me if that would be of interest.

Not CM related but may influence a decision and what you do.

We have just shipped a 1.5 Cubic Meter - 125kg crate of TWs personal effects from Brisbane to Udon Thani. Still slugged with 20% Import Taxes and 7% VAT even though she was Consignor and Consignee. All up costs door to door was over 51,000 baht and a never ending line of hoops to jump through even with the aide of an import agent. The value we placed on the shipment was $1250 AUD or 30,650 Baht.

Lesson learned - NEVER AGAIN.

We have just shipped a 1.5 Cubic Meter - 125kg crate of TWs personal effects from Brisbane to Udon Thani. Still slugged with 20% Import Taxes and 7% VAT even though she was Consignor and Consignee. All up costs door to door was over 51,000 baht and a never ending line of hoops to jump through even with the aide of an import agent. The value we placed on the shipment was $1250 AUD or 30,650 Baht.

Unfortunately, this forum is filled with stories like this. One reason we decided not to ship anything over. Luckily, we were having to travel back home 3 times a year for several years and were able to bring a BUNCH of stuff in our suitcases. Just nothing large.

We used a company called Seven Seas shipping .Sent over to Chiang Mai 34 packing cases, from the UK (tea chest size) door to door, they have an online calculator to work out the cost not outrageously expensive, best thing only paid 200 Baht customs fee. Then sent over another 6 boxes full of tools still only 200Baht. Took six weeks by sea. Great company they tell you the container no and ship its loaded onto you can track it on line for a bit of fun.

I did get a quote from them and the UK arrangements and shipping seemed very organised and reasonable. The only thing missing from their price are the costs at this end and although I asked, they didn't get back to me with their favoured receiving agent for the area so I'm still in the dark about the total cost. Can you let me know what the cost per box worked out at or, if you know the breakdown what the costs in Thailand came to. PM me if you'd rather.

Hi Greenside.

The cost they quote on the door to door service is inclusive ,They are very organised this end as well, you get a call when the shipment is with their agent plus texts,then when they are ready to deliver.

I could not get any info from them about customs duty,I think that is luck of the draw.They do have native Thai speakers in their call centre.Cant remember the cost but you get the total cost via their website.

When researching the options Seven Seas was one of the companies I approached BUT as one item was too big to fit into one of their standard shipping boxes declined my business. I have also heard from expats around Udon that their services are very good and inclusive.

Edited by bdenner

I have shipped 4 containers from the u,k,over the past 28 years, i would recommend using Maersk, they will deliver a container to your house, you have 4 hours to load it at no extra cost, Bill of Laiding will be posted to you wherever you are, you must have a full list of the container contents, several copies recommended and ONLY ship to Thailand in your wife's name.

1 of each Electrical is accepted by Customeswith NO Import Tax due.

If you require any additional information contact me.

If someones shipping a container.. I have a few bits in the UK (mountain bikes, motorbike parts, race leathers, tool chest. etc etc).. That are too much to hand carry.

Would be happy to pay a part of the shipment.. All items of course can be inspected and drug free wink.png

Edited by LivinLOS

Nice thought, LivinLOS--but, don't drugs normally go the other way?

Just joking, of course.

I made the mistake of shipping about 4 large cardboard boxes with one of the larger shipping agents--their costs were not too bad, but the Customs this end was crazy--and everything was second hand, used, personal effects.

EDIT--Just remembered the company name--Transglobal Express--they were not too bad, as I say.

Strange thing was--2 boxes arrived within 3 days of leaving the UK address [we boarded a flight and they arrived a day or so after us] and hadn't been looked at--the other 2 remained in the Customs Hall in BKK for some time, eventually I was contacted, and after Duty was calculated, I had to pay for the storage costs incurred whilst the items were held in BKK--insult to injury, or what?!

Edited by haybilly

If someones shipping a container.. I have a few bits in the UK (mountain bikes, motorbike parts, race leathers, tool chest. etc etc).. That are too much to hand carry.

Would be happy to pay a part of the shipment.. All items of course can be inspected and drug free wink.png

I wonder how many people here would be in on a multi-person, few items each container? Possibly a way for someone to make a bit of pocket money if they could be bothered to do the organising, Import tax would be the hard one, unless there is a detailed breakdown, and it possibly wouldn't be charged at all if the combined value wasn't so high. I'd certainly be interested. Perhaps someone could arrange similar containers from Aus/US.

Edited by Konini

Some advice:

Firstly UK shipping companies will only take stuff as far as the port in Bangkok. If you want to continue on to any other destination within Thailand, you must arrange for the cases to be picked up by another carrier company in Thailand, preferable one based in the destination where you want the goods delivered.

Use a Thai name from the very beginning with the UK company. If you declare the goods in a farang name, you will be stung for a huge amount of Import tax, to be paid before you can retrieve your goods from the Bangkok port. They will be held for ransom until you pay.

If you bring new electrical items over, you will be charged import tax at a huge percent. Try and bring only your used electrical goods and one of each, you will again have to pay import tax on more than one item that the officials consider you don't need. If you do try and bring in new electrical items, take off any wrapping and put on old plugs so they appear used.

When you hire your carrier in Thailand to collect the goods from port, don't tell them you have a computer, otherwise they will try and con you for more money. The Thai carrier will not open the cases and have no right to because the cases would have already been cleared by customs in Bangkok.

The UK company charges by cubic space and not weight, but if the cases are considered too heavy, they will refuse to take them. The customs in Bangkok charge import tax by the value of the goods, but mostly waver this tax or charge a minimum for Thai people.

As for packing, wrap drinking glasses and crockery in newspaper. Put fragile items in with your good blankets or clothes so that they are buffered. This way you are not wasting any space on excess padding as your clothes are excellent buffers and will protect your fragile items when the cases are throw about by the carriers, which they will be.

And finally, the carrier company in Chiang Mai may not to bring up your cases from a depot in Bangkok until their truck is full, meaning having to wait until other customers are also bringing their goods up here and the truck was full. Ask the Chiang Mai carrier company about this prior to booking them.

On average it takes the goods about 4 to 6 weeks to arrive in Bangkok from the UK. I recommend this company:
http://www.chiangmaiinfo.com/directory/categories/packing_and_shipping/listings/743

We used a company called Seven Seas shipping .Sent over to Chiang Mai 34 packing cases, from the UK (tea chest size) door to door, they have an online calculator to work out the cost not outrageously expensive, best thing only paid 200 Baht customs fee. Then sent over another 6 boxes full of tools still only 200Baht. Took six weeks by sea. Great company they tell you the container no and ship its loaded onto you can track it on line for a bit of fun.

Bj please please read my post , granted we did not have a container but the goods were shipped door to door Goods were sent in my name accompanied by a truthful list and a copy of My O-A visa and passport page.

Bj please please read my post , granted we did not have a container but the goods were shipped door to door Goods were sent in my name accompanied by a truthful list and a copy of My O-A visa and passport page.

Goods shipped in from abroad have to go through customs and excise in Bangkok, no question about it. And placing the boxes in a farang name is a bad idea, I certainly would not recommend it.

Have no idea how your UK shipping company managed to transport your goods from the UK to Chiang Mai door to door, unless the Seven Seas shipping company have a subsidiary company in Thailand? Do you have any written details from the Seven Seas company quoting that they deliver door to door in Thailand? If correct, than I am sure this will be of great interest to the OP and others in similar situations considering shipping goods to Thailand.

Picked up from my house by sevenseas shipping own van and personnel from my house in the UK and delivered to my house in Sansai by Inter express logists. They have a call centre I believe it is in Malaysia and have Thai native speakers.

You can get an online quote here.

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/shipping?gclid=CJCk6e6opcUCFUTnwgodpY8AIw

I really do think I was lucky with customs or by some fluke had all the correct paperwork which seven seas supply incidentally

Goods shipped in from abroad have to go through customs and excise in Bangkok, no question about it. And placing the boxes in a farang name is a bad idea, I certainly would not recommend it.

Have no idea how your UK shipping company managed to transport your goods from the UK to Chiang Mai door to door, unless the Seven Seas shipping company have a subsidiary company in Thailand? Do you have any written details from the Seven Seas company quoting that they deliver door to door in Thailand? If correct, than I am sure this will be of great interest to the OP and others in similar situations considering shipping goods to Thailand.

I know many people who have paid for door to door shipping of household goods.

I know many people who have paid for door to door shipping of household goods.

it's the logical thing to do. we combined goods from our home in Germany as well as our home in the U.S. which were packed and shipped door-to-door in a container to Thailand involving three forwarders and two clearing agents. they handled each and everything necessary without us doing any logistics.

Use a Thai name from the very beginning with the UK company. If you declare the goods in a farang name, you will be stung for a huge amount of Import tax, to be paid before you can retrieve your goods from the Bangkok port. They will be held for ransom until you pay.

it all depends on the company that handles shipping and clearing. we received the biggest available container (40 foot high cube with 60m³ contents!) at our door in Thailand. no such thing like huge amount of import duty although shipment was done in Farang name. worthwhile to mention is that the lock a friend of mine put on the container was not opened.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, this forum is filled with stories like this. One reason we decided not to ship anything over. Luckily, we were having to travel back home 3 times a year for several years and were able to bring a BUNCH of stuff in our suitcases. Just nothing large.

Also the reason why the classified's have such a lot of practically new furniture and appliances for sale. Tools from 'back home' as well - by the time they are leaving, they already know that they can buy new ones cheaper than carting the old ones home.

Every cloud, and all that.