What's Luang Prabang got that Chiang Mia hasn't?

DavidOxon

Had 5 days of a visa run in Luang Prabang in January last. It was enchanting. It

is a UNESCO Heritage site, plenty to do. Local food not as good as CM, but the French food is tops. Blue Elephant for example. River is OK, worth a couple of hours' trip, up to the temple (354 steps) too. Night market is well, the night market. Same-same all over. People very nice and gentle.

CM is also nice, but LP is really worth the effort. Get in the front of the aircraft if you can, the Immigration Qs can take an hour if you are in the back of the line.

Have fun!

Beer Lao Gold. A really fine beer and not available in TH.

Beer Lao Gold is available in Khon Kaen,Thailand! The real difference between Chiang Mai and Luang Prabang is culture and historical sites that have not been refurbished as much as those in Chiang Mai. In my humble opinion, a much larger majority of the locals there have much higher moral values than those in Chiang Mai. If it's partying you want, Chiang Mai (or Pattaya North) is the place for you!

Edited by laubau

Sorry = DW = Darling Wife (of course)!

Just to add insult to injury, I went to immigration yesterday afternoon and got a re-entry permit AND a 90 report done in and out in 20 mins!

Seems the gods aren't on my side vis a vis this upcoming trip!

I'm not a big drinker, not fond of steak, on a low carb diet (bread/croissant) and have seen enough temples to last several lifetimes, have a bad back so sitting and relaxing is a non starter! Maybe the waterfalls'll do it for me!

I used to live in a UNESCO heritage site called Carcasonne in France with the largest walled medeaval city in Europe!

AND I like Lamphun, DW is from there and we visit regularly. Nice market, on the river, laid back like Chiang Mai used to be, Oh! I'm describing LP again! 5555

Lots of love, Mr Grumpy!

• Like 1

Note: A UNESCO status doesn't mean you have to freeze an entire city in some sort of state of medieval hibernation. The Chiang Mai old city most certainly qualifies and is already protected from high-rise development. But with everything UN, it's a highly politicized clique. You just need to make the effort at the right time, get some other governments on your side, etc.

Also within Thailand it's hard to see which other non-dead city would qualify. (Other than old Sukhothai, Ayutthaya, etc.)

They'll probably get around to UNESCO status for the old city center, however my fear is that this will trigger charging admission.

Just imagine having to pay 200 baht every time you want to enter the old city to visit a Moon Muang Soi 1 bar.

But anyway on a less frivolous note, even from high up in the sky you can see the similarity of the Chiang Mai old town and places like Sukhothai and Angkor Wat.

post-64232-0-15085200-1430185680_thumb.j

post-64232-0-31713000-1430185678_thumb.j

( Although I bet the nightlife in Angkor sucked, too. ;) )

• Like 1

I've never been to LP so now I'm starting to plan a trip to there. So far my plan which is flexible depending on feedback here, is to drive to Chiang Khong, cross the river to Housy Xay, take a slow boat down river to LP. We will spend a few days there seeing the sights then take a bus back to Housy Xay and cross back to Thailand.

Anyone have any input to this plan or a better way to do it?

Had 5 days of a visa run in Luang Prabang in January last. It was enchanting. It

is a UNESCO Heritage site, plenty to do. Local food not as good as CM, but the French food is tops. Blue Elephant for example. River is OK, worth a couple of hours' trip, up to the temple (354 steps) too. Night market is well, the night market. Same-same all over. People very nice and gentle.

CM is also nice, but LP is really worth the effort. Get in the front of the aircraft if you can, the Immigration Qs can take an hour if you are in the back of the line.

Have fun!

In which case, if you are flying Air Lao from CNX, you really need to be at the back of the plane, which exits first...

• Like 1

Oh come on, David, can't you spend a weekend wandering around any town and find something interesting to look at? LP sounds nice. A few days isn't going to kill you. What is so special here in Chiang Mai that you don't want to be away for a couple days? Frankly, Hubby and I spent two days in Lamphun wandering around looking at the local shops & temples, riding bicycles in the countryside, etc and managed to have a nice little weekend get-a-way. Surely you can do the same in LP?

Agreed, LP is a lovely and charming place to visit. Likewise we hired bikes and got around the place using pedal power, without the threat of being mowed down by motor bikes and cars. Roads were very quiet. It also has a very good night market where you can buy many things at reasonably cheap prices, or as our American Cousin's would say, "you get more bang for your buck". Make sure you have a HUGE wallet. There seems to be thousands of Kip to the Baht and when you pay in Baht, you get Kip in change. I was quite amused by the entry procedure at the airport. Arrived at immigration and three men were sat behind a little window arrangement. First man took my passport and gave me a visual the once over, then passed it to his opo who then gave the passport the once over and then passed it to his opo who wopped an entry stamp on one of the pages and they then passed it all the way back along the line and then to me. I thanked them and they said, "okay now join other queue". I moved to other queue and paid the required sum, but whilst waiting for my change, noticed an A4 sized piece of paper stapled to the partition which said, "Visa costs X dollars Monday to Saturday, but X+ on Sunday due to overtime"! I must confess I almost fell over with uncontrollable giggles and left me amused for the rest of the day. That apart, loved the place, people and the food.thumbsup.gif

I've never been to LP so now I'm starting to plan a trip to there. So far my plan which is flexible depending on feedback here, is to drive to Chiang Khong, cross the river to Housy Xay, take a slow boat down river to LP. We will spend a few days there seeing the sights then take a bus back to Housy Xay and cross back to Thailand.

Anyone have any input to this plan or a better way to do it?

Your plan sounds good.

LPrabang is very touristy so expect that. It doesn't ruin the experience.

I went to the Aussie Sports Bar for a few beers and decided to stay in one of the rooms he has. Pop in for a beer and he is more than willing to tell you about the place, what to see etc. renting a bike is a good idea too.

I actually found the silly little town where the slow boat stops for the night quite charming. Next time I'll take an extra night there.

• Like 1

Well, the Luang Prabang nightlife is even worse than Chiang Mai.

It's like Chiang Mai 30 years ago: terrible.

And you completely miss the point about LP.

Is that all some foreigners think about?

Sad, isn't it?

Actually, I rather like the nightlife in Luang Prabang. There are some great restaurants, and some fun, laid-back bars to hang out in.

Luang Prabang is a fantastic place. A real place to decompress and relax.

Agree, the nightlife is very relaxed with some great little restaurants and cafes. What I really liked was no 7/11's, no neon or lit signs, very relaxed and quiet and just a great way of spending 3 or 4 days wandering and doing very little. Early nights and mornings.

Some lovely little restored guest houses and sunset beers and snacks by the Mekong. Great bicycle rides and really friendly and happy people.

There is some bars there (apparently) but looked more like soap dodger crowds living on a few dollars a day that really didn't interest me.

But if nightlife is what you are looking for, skip LP...please.

I'm told that for the late night party crowd, the bowling alley is where it's at.

I didn't go.

Heard exactly the same thing.

Wasn't why I went to LP, so I gave it a miss.

Buddy of mine took a tuk tuk out of town to the bowling alley. Said it was fun but full of them soap dodgers with dreadlocks thinking they are on the hippy trail.

Best avoided.

It was actually more of a stab at the notion that Chiang Mai nightlife was ever great, 15-20-30 years ago than a serious complaint about Luang Prabang.

But it was relaxed and laid back like some have said, and that would suit me in Luang Prabang just fine, too.

I also remember sneaking around to find a party both in LP and Vientiane.. In both cases way out of town, at the time. Vientiane was especially surreal.

I should have some pictures somewhere of those places, from 20 years ago.

Anyone think CM, LP, Siem Reap, Vientiane, and Hoi An would be too much history , culture, and 'laid-backness' for one extended trip? Any suggestions on connecting all by affordable air transport , without excessive backtracking via BKK or DMK, are appreciated. Thanks.

Hmmm.. I think they're all quite different. And Chiang Mai can be laid back if you want it to be, but it's also a modern city which provides other attractions. Out of those perhaps Vientiane is the least interesting especially when also visiting Luang Prabang in Lao. And, while those are cities/towns, they are also in interesting areas that would be good to explore. (Again with the exception of Vientiane)

It also depends how much time you have; you can pretty much do it overland too. But if you don't have a lot of time and are flying a lot then too much travel will detract from the laidbackiness. wink.png

If you skip Vientiane then you can spend some more time elsewhere in Laos, for example flying Luang Prabang to Pakse, and then from there overland to Vietnam.

And then Vietnam (anywhere) -> Siem Reap -> Bangkok.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

It is not super-touristy because it has lots of tourists. It is super-touristy because the whole look and character of the town has been changed completely in order to attract more tourists. It is nothing like it was when I first went there and that is very unusual for Vietnam.

Thanks all. I did both Hanoi and HCMC a couple of summers ago, so am now aiming for Hoi An with a day trip or two from there to Hue. I also did Vientiane and liked it so much that I want to tack it on to the visit to LP. Is Da Nang worth a day or two? I've got about 35 days, inc. about 10 days between trips in CM.

Da Nang is just a few miles from Ho An. You can easily check it out. I was never that impressed by it when I was traveling in Vietnam a lot, but that was a while ago. I would guess there have been improvements. They do have some good museums.

I'm told that for the late night party crowd, the bowling alley is where it's at.

I didn't go.

Buddy of mine took a tuk tuk out of town to the bowling alley. Said it was fun but full of them soap dodgers with dreadlocks thinking they are on the hippy trail.

Best avoided.

Could be worse. It could be full of cranky old expats who gratuitiously insult backpackers and such.

If you are going to be in Vietnam, Hanoi, Saigon and Hue all have way more history/culture than Hoi An. It is a nice little town, but super-touristy compared to what it used to be.

No one has mentioned Dalat which is easily accessible from Saigon or the beach side city of Nha Trang. You could be in another country as its in the mountains with a temperate climate all year round.Beautiful buildings including French style villas,Royal Palace,the most wonderful food, all locally grown,they supply Saigon and some really interesting places and people. During the war it was almost a no go zone, a relatively safe place.Its where old Peugots go to die and become taxis. When I was there many years ago the local bus fleet were 1950 Renaults.If you are interested in real Vietnamese culture its for you.

If there is one place in the world I would move to it would be Dalat.

As the OP is taking a 5 year old child I doubt the "night life" is a major concern.

• Like 1

I didn't go.

Best avoided.

Could be worse. It could be full of cranky old expats who gratuitiously insult backpackers and such.

Given I'm not an old ex-pat, that crowd would also suck.

But hey, if you like hanging out with smelly, soap dodging, $5 per day, dreadlocked, wanna-be hippies in fisherman pants and floppy singlets...be my guest.

You are right about Dalat and it has the reputation of being cool all year, like Chiang Mai does. Unlike Ching Mai, I think it actually is cool all year, but am not positive. It is a very unusual and interesting place.

Yes not many places in Asia you see the locals wearing jumpers and head gear all year round.Its very much a retreat for artisans and a weekend getaway for the Saigon hi so's.The old,fully restored, Sofitel Hotel is probably the nicest hotel I have ever seen and certainly the most attractive staff, hand picked form the localuniversity, but I couldn't afford to stay there and that was 17 years ago.

Unlike Thailand I doubt even now you would see Mc Donalds ,KFC and electronic billboards in their historic towns like Dalat,same goes for Luang Prabang

• Like 2