What's Luang Prabang got that Chiang Mia hasn't?

DavidOxon

DW has organised a weekend break to LP from Chiang Mai.

Been looking on trip adivsor etc... seems to be Temples, restaurants, textiles and market!

Sort of like Chiang Mai light!

Please someone help me get excited about it cos right now I can't see the point!

LP is one of my favourite places to visit. But If you need someone to explain to you why it's worth visiting a Unesco heritage site in a beautiful riverside setting with bags of interesting things to see, charming people, delicious food, a wonderful laid-back atmosphere, and - as has been mentioned - cheap, tasty beer, then it's probably not for you.

ok, apart from Unseco, you've just described Chiang Mai!

• Like 1

Sadly, that's not an option! And to add to it, I have to go and get a re entry permit at immigration and find $35 for the Laos visa. Just trying to get some enthusiasm! Not sure what my 5 year old daughter will find to do either! 555 Is there anywhere to swim as the central hotlles don't seem to have pools....

Sadly, that's not an option! And to add to it, I have to go and get a re entry permit at immigration and find $35 for the Laos visa. Just trying to get some enthusiasm! Not sure what my 5 year old daughter will find to do either! 555 Is there anywhere to swim as the central hotlles don't seem to have pools....

https://lapistochepool.wordpress.com

LP is one of my favourite places to visit. But If you need someone to explain to you why it's worth visiting a Unesco heritage site in a beautiful riverside setting with bags of interesting things to see, charming people, delicious food, a wonderful laid-back atmosphere, and - as has been mentioned - cheap, tasty beer, then it's probably not for you.

And why do you think Unesco designated Luang Prabang a Unesco World Heritage Site and not Chiang Mai. And if you can't figure that one out on your own, there's something called the internet that might help you come up with an answer.

• Like 2

Oh come on, David, can't you spend a weekend wandering around any town and find something interesting to look at? LP sounds nice. A few days isn't going to kill you. What is so special here in Chiang Mai that you don't want to be away for a couple days? Frankly, Hubby and I spent two days in Lamphun wandering around looking at the local shops & temples, riding bicycles in the countryside, etc and managed to have a nice little weekend get-a-way. Surely you can do the same in LP?

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 2

Some years since I was there, but the air was clean!!

The air in LP was WAY worse than I've ever seen it in CM. There was much more burning in a smaller space. In fact, LP had the most smoke I've ever seen anywhere. I've always wanted to go back at a different time of year.

• Like 1

You really think so? Chiang Mai is o.k., and has some nice spots, but it's big city now...nothing like it was before. You need to go see LP yourself to really understand. If you're looking for nightlife and the bar scene you're probably not going to like it, if you want to relax at a small café or bar next to the Mekong, go on a boat ride or see some jungle water falls you'll have fun. It's a little bit difficult to compare.