What's Luang Prabang got that Chiang Mia hasn't?

DavidOxon

On a side note, what is it with Chiang Mai expats acting like the place is the nearest thing to paradise on God's green earth?

It's a nice enough town I guess, but it's nothing that special.

There are a lot of nice well educated Expats in Chiangmai. Unlike the dreadful types that frequent Pattaya, Koh Samui and Phuket

• Like 2

On a side note, what is it with Chiang Mai expats acting like the place is the nearest thing to paradise on God's green earth?

All my friends live here. Other than that. I've never seen any great attraction.

Impossible comparison.

What would be better, a trip to Paris, London, New Orleans, Phoenix, or Las Vegas?

They are all fantastic or horrible if that's the way you feel.

Personally, I enjoy Luang Prabang and I didn't feel the slow boat experience as miserable like another said but that's me.

We can all stand on the same ground and draw different picturesl

• Like 1

There was a documentary on BBC a few years ago, about the trashpackers over-running LP. It featured some 90 KG farang girls, walking the streets in circus pants, gulping large beers. the locals hate them. Apparently, becoming a UNESCO site is the curse of death for many places. If someone could post a link to the video, it might be helpful. A better wine situation is not surprising; it's better at most prisons, too. THe french bread is nice in Laos and Cambodia, but really doesn't offset the very poor sanitation in both places. Laos is landlocked and poor...

Please guys, David is obviously not interested and don't make him go there.he would not enjoy it. Let him stay in CM. He has no adventurous mind.

Some people should just stay put and don't take the space of people that are interested....

Edited by off road pat
  • Like 1

Is it more exciting than Lamphun?

Anywhere else on Earth must be more exciting than Lamphun!

Actually, Lamphun is not to bad if you take the time to explore..... I did 10 days ago....

• Like 1

Some things don't have to be explained.....! but lived....!

A lot I<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You can get a really nice tender steak cooked properly. Rare (french style) and not overcooked as in Thailand. Excellant French restaurant Elephant

L'elephant is one of the best restaurants in Southeast Asia...the Buffalo steak is amazing...

I loved Luang Prabang when I visited..... beautiful French architecture.

It is reminiscent of Hoi An in Vietnam as Cairene said a couple of posts back, and I love both.

Grilled fish on the river in the evening is a pleasant dining experience.

Edited by F4UCorsair
  • Like 1

Is it more exciting than Lamphun?

Anywhere else on Earth must be more exciting than Lamphun!

Actually, Lamphun is not to bad if you take the time to explore..... I did 10 days ago....

Shh, WinnieTheKwai is doing a good job keeping the masses away, and now elektrified is joining the cause.

David, Luang Prabang doesn't have the noise Chiang Mai has. But you could just go to Mae Chaem for that, so hope you're into visiting temples that look like the temples in Chiang Mai but have a special badge.

• Like 1

What are some of the best ways to travel to Luang Prabang from Chiang Mai?

I would like to avoid flying if possible so what are the other ways to get there?

The slow boat from Huay Xai (if my memory is correct) to LP isn't a bad experience, and not too slow, depending on the time of year. They're slow compared with the fast boats that go past, engines screaming, tourists all wearing stack hats, terrified expressions, and white knuckles.

I've been there now three times, most recently in February...there are gobs of tourists but i block that out..I speak decent Lao so I am able to get a feel for the real LP a little bit...it really is a gorgeous locale, i think more so than CM...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The air in LP was WAY worse than I've ever seen it in CM. There was much more burning in a smaller space. In fact, LP had the most smoke I've ever seen anywhere. I've always wanted to go back at a different time of year.

Can you give me some dates. We are looking at a visit in January. Vientiane has also been recommended to me. We are not looking for alcohol or an exciting night life. Just some relaxing times with different low key things to do and see.

LP is one of my favourite places to visit. But If you need someone to explain to you why it's worth visiting a Unesco heritage site in a beautiful riverside setting with bags of interesting things to see, charming people, delicious food, a wonderful laid-back atmosphere, and - as has been mentioned - cheap, tasty beer, then it's probably not for you.

ok, apart from Unseco, you've just described Chiang Mai!

You really think so? Chiang Mai is o.k., and has some nice spots, but it's big city now...nothing like it was before. You need to go see LP yourself to really understand. If you're looking for nightlife and the bar scene you're probably not going to like it, if you want to relax at a small café or bar next to the Mekong, go on a boat ride or see some jungle water falls you'll have fun. It's a little bit difficult to compare.

Unseco is there for a historical reason. So far it sounds like a place to enjoy some history and just relax. If you are not interested in history it might not be for you. I have looked at some of the hotels and some of them involve a ferry to get to from the city. I imagine there are some down town. I don't know. I am going back to read the rest of the opinions.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Depends if you like slow, uncomfortable bus journeys or slow uncomfortable boat journeys.

I thought they had opened a decent bus from Chiang Mai to L P about 6 months ago.

The slow boat may be an enjoyable trip provided it is not packed tight with passengers.

Depends if you like slow, uncomfortable bus journeys or slow uncomfortable boat journeys.

I thought they had opened a decent bus from Chiang Mai to L P about 6 months ago.

The one that only takes a snappy 22 hours?

Rather you than me.

Rather you than me.

You could have said yes. Is there any thing you don't complain about?

Rather you than me.

You could have said yes. Is there any thing you don't complain about?

Luang Prabang. It's an awesome place. Been there many times.

But if you're planning a weekend there - like the OP of this thread - the bus probably isn't the best way to get there.

• Like 1