Go On Then Shoot Me Down,

Here I am again

I have been reading in one or two forums regarding buying houses in your girlfriends name, mostly in the big cities and with girls you have fallen in love with last night. ( I’m being kind here)

Why not rent for a year or so is the usual answer and is good advice, well when you have decided that you really want to buy, you want the security of owning you own place , why not find a countryman of yours, that has been in a relationship or marriage that is really strong and ongoing, then give them the money and if missy is just on the make, well you still have the property if not and it is a good relationship no face lost.

Go on then shoot me down,

Les

Another option is to take out a loan from a Thai bank in your wife's name... with you as guarrantor. You can usually borrow up to 70% of the value of the property on such a loan. That way, you provide 30% up front... move in... and have anywhere from 10-20 years to pay back the loan. Should your missus "default" on the marriage... you default on the guarrantor relationship... and she's left with the debt.

OK... it's not ideal but it would provide some insurance in the form of long-term peace of mind.

What do you reckon?

Another option is to take out a loan from a Thai bank in your wife's name... with you as guarrantor. You can usually borrow up to 70% of the value of the property on such a loan. That way, you provide 30% up front... move in... and have anywhere from 10-20 years to pay back the loan. Should your missus "default" on the marriage... you default on the guarrantor relationship... and she's left with the debt.

OK... it's not ideal but it would provide some insurance in the form of long-term peace of mind.

What do you reckon?

I reckon not a good course to take. If she 'defaults' on the marriage after a short period (say 1 year) then just gets another farang to make the payments. You're out the 30% and the ex-wife is living in the house you made the down payment on. The farang is happy he's basically paying rent and can move on at any time........or not.

Edit: you also lose your credit rating with the bank.

Edited by LoveDaBlues

Mr Jones, I have often thought that this is a good idea, (to put your house in the name of a trusted Thai person who is not your Thai GF/wife). But there are a couple of problems:

1 - How do you really know that the Thai person is trustworthy? Everyone can be swayed by money..

2 - I suspect that if you announced your plan to your GF, your life would be hel_l!! Thai women are apparently the most jealous of women throughout the whole world! (My own view...). If yoi tell her that you are putting the family home in the name of another Thai women . . . well God help you!!!!

Simon

I like Jai Dee's idea...only I would try to get some member or members of the Thai girl friend's family to be the guarantor for the loan....then the bad credit goes to the family member(s) and not yourself.....it also might have the effect of making the family members more supportive of your relationship with your girl friend (to avoid the disgrace of default)....which can be a make or break thing in some instances.

Here I am again

, why not find a countryman of yours, that has been in a relationship or marriage that is really strong and ongoing, then give them the money and if missy is just on the make, well you still have the property if not and it is a good relationship no face lost.

Les

Here I am again

I have been reading in one or two forums regarding buying houses in your girlfriends name, mostly in the big cities and with girls you have fallen in love with last night. ( I’m being kind here)

Why not rent for a year or so is the usual answer and is good advice, well when you have decided that you really want to buy, you want the security of owning you own place , why not find a countryman of yours, that has been in a relationship or marriage that is really strong and ongoing, then give them the money and if missy is just on the make, well you still have the property if not and it is a good relationship no face lost.

Les

Can you explain what you mean by giving a countryman the money? How does this buy a house for the GF and husband to live in? :o

I will start again

I should have said fellow countryman I’m British therefore I would choose a British person, not a Thai that lives in the countryside.

The reason I would choose a Brit is because it is human nature to trust a fellow countryman when abroad, I’m not saying others are not trustworthy, I’m not saying Thais aren’t trustworthy.

Ah <deleted> it life’s to short

:o

I like Jai Dee's idea...only I would try to get some member or members of the Thai girl friend's family to be the guarantor for the loan....then the bad credit goes to the family member(s) and not yourself.....it also might have the effect of making the family members more supportive of your relationship with your girl friend (to avoid the disgrace of default)....which can be a make or break thing in some instances.

This is what I've done, brother-in law. However it depends on your circumstances. In my case I have no assets and no income from Thailand. If you own anything or work here you will undoubtedly be chased for cash before the guarantor, probably through Court Order, under Community Property legislation.

Generally a good idea, but it still doesn't eliminate the risk that the girl/guy will replace you with someone else. Best for relationships that actually work and certainly not an excuse to hold it over your partner's head (probably one of the fastest ways to bring a relationship to a grinding halt) for those with power/control issues.

:o

Here I am again

Les

Thats exactly what i did - we lived together for about 18 months in rented condo then I bought one in my name then another in my name a bit later about another 18 months we bought a house in her name etc etc - guess shes just waiting for right time to boot me out - seriously would anyone in eaurope usa be with someone for say only 1 year and buy them a house until they were fairly sure it would work in long run - weve now been together 5+ years and married with a lovely child - still waiting for her to do dirty - she better be quick I could die before that - the other thing i did at start but not right away was put 2 million yes 2 million in her bank account and waited to see then when I bought first condo in my name i asked for it back she gave it - ok im well off or quite rich but considered it wise to test first - if shed run then of ocurse i would have been :o but it is far far less than ive seen guys here do in a few months of meeting their thai gf. And yes i played a trick she tohught is sold all back home and the 2 mill was all i had

Ill post you all when she puts boot in but then i can get an even younger wife :D and do it all over again :D

I asked Sunbelt about the alts to deals with wives, GFs, companies, et al.

Here is his reply, with permission:

"To decide to what extent such constructions are indeed legal or not, will in many cases depend on a number of circumstances.

Should the arrangement be made with a bank where the foreigner agrees to deposit an amount for a long term, and should the bank be the purchaser of the land and lease it on a long term to the foreigner, such a deal would most probably be considered legal.

But, when a foreigner finances a girlfriend to purchase the land and then mortgages or leases it from her, suspicions could arise if she is a nominee.

Regards

Greg"

So, try to do a deal with a bank! Esp if you are single......