Bangkok Makkasan area to be jointly developed to green zone and commercial complex

webfact

Makkasan area to be jointly developed to green zone and commercial complex

IMGP4103-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Ministries of Transport and Finance have reached an agreement to jointly develop the Makkasan area into a green zone to act as the lung for Bangkok and a commercial complex to generate income for the State Railway of Thailand (SRT).

It is expected that the full draft project will be drawn up and submitted to the ministry for consideration by June this year.

Transport minister ACM Prajin Jantong revealed that an agreement was reached in a meeting yesterday with the Finance Ministry to develop a 497 rai land located in Makkasan area to be the ‘lungs’ of the capital.

The first phase will consist of a 30 rai plot of land which will be used to construct a railway museum while another 150 rai will be designated a green zone which will function as the ‘lungs’ of Bangkok.

The remaining 140 rai will be renovated as commercial, public parks and roads to generate income for the upkeep of the entire project.

The second phase encompassing 177 rai is expected to begin between two and a half to three years from yesterday and will be set aside for the construction of a hospital and residential areas.

With regards to the valuation of the property, Wuthichart Kalayanamit, the governor of the State Railway of Thailand, revealed that the entire plot of land will be have to be appraised.

The valuation will have to take into consideration the long-term cost effectiveness for private investors while the Ministry of Finance will handle the direct management of the entire project.

First priority will be given to the repayment of outstanding debt incurred before attention can be given to any returns for the State Railway of Thailand.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/makkasan-area-to-be-jointly-developed-to-green-zone-and-commercial-complex

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-04-28

"Transport minister ACM Prajin Jantong revealed that an agreement was reached in a meeting yesterday with the Finance Ministry to develop a 497 rai land located in Makkasan area to be the ‘lungs’ of the capital."

This line take my breath away...

"... and a commercial complex to generate income for the State Railway of Thailand"

The SRT have been sitting on this pile of badly maintained junk and inner-city jungle for decades while squandering and stealing any revenue from their lamentable operations. The land value has spiraled and they see it as a way of paying off their debts since they can't recoup all the payoffs to past management, board and contractors while still maintaining a revenue stream to be further misappropriated.

Bangkok shouldn't wait for the SRT's property evaluation but proceed with their own, make a compulsory purchase and cut the SRT off from any revenue from their real estate aspirations.

• Like 2

The first phase will consist of a 30 rai plot of land which will be used to construct a railway museum...

Why waste 30 rai for people to gaze upon decades old rolling stock and ancient stuff? Just take the tourists and anoraks down to Hualomphong or any rural railway line and see it all still in action (maybe). Buy a ticket and ride the 'history' of SRT today!

Bangkok needs parks .. not condos ... not shopping malls. The sheer quantity of condos and shopping malls is a recipe for Fail. The elite land owners and developers have no creative thinking at all so they just replicate condos and shopping malls again and again.

• Like 1

If that area is the lungs of Bangkok or is going to be, I imagine within a few years the lungs will be cancerous.

As for the 30 rai for a railway museum, I agree with Nan Laew, I don't think you will find a railway museum in the heart of London. Land is too valuable. Better to create a real park. It will give motorists stuck in traffic on the elevated tollways something interesting to look at while they stew.

The railway centres are generally in more rural areas and functioning operations. They draw huge tourist interest.

The first phase will consist of a 30 rai plot of land which will be used to construct a railway museum...

Why waste 30 rai for people to gaze upon decades old rolling stock and ancient stuff? Just take the tourists and anoraks down to Hualomphong or any rural railway line and see it all still in action (maybe). Buy a ticket and ride the 'history' of SRT today!

Hey!!!! You stole my post!!! biggrin.png Beat me to it....

If that area is the lungs of Bangkok or is going to be, I imagine within a few years the lungs will be cancerous.

As for the 30 rai for a railway museum, I agree with Nan Laew, I don't think you will find a railway museum in the heart of London. Land is too valuable. Better to create a real park. It will give motorists stuck in traffic on the elevated tollways something interesting to look at while they stew.

The railway centres are generally in more rural areas and functioning operations. They draw huge tourist interest.

There is the London Transport Museum in Covent Garden. London has a lot of tourist attractions which occupy prime land. I don't know if Bangkok can do the same but I agree there always going to be the suspicion that malls and condos will be more important.

Is this land that belongs to the railway or is other land included? In the picture I can see the Eastin Hotel which I often go to and the adjoining Bangkok Palace which I used to go to and the Ramada. I'm guessing these existing businesses aren't on land that's part of the plan.

"They draw huge tourist interest." Which is why "they" will put it in Bangkok. Thailand, not England.

There used to be a volunteer run museum in Chatuchak park, I believe the plan is that it's exhibits (possibly together with various other steam locos dotted around the metropolitan area) will be integrated into the new collection.

Edited by Enoon

"They draw huge tourist interest." Which is why "they" will put it in Bangkok. Thailand, not England.

There used to be a volunteer run museum in Chatuchak park, I believe the plan is that it's exhibits (possibly together with various other steam locos dotted around the metropolitan area) will be integrated into the new collection.

An operating railway centre has far more potential than a static museum stuck in one of the most congested areas of Bangkok. But only time will tell.