For how long can I keep using 90-day visa exemption entries?

I've been here since 2012 on an ED visa (University) and finished the program. I've been back in my country for a couple months and I just arrived in Thailand with a 90-day stamp (my country and Thailand have that bilateral visa exempt agreement).

I want to be in Thailand indefinitely, so my idea is to stay in periods close to 90 days at a time, and travel to nearby countries (for example, I plan to spend a week in Hong Kong in july) and get another 90 day stamp upon returning (and travel again for a week in October and so on).

On each return I can show 20,000 baht in cash or my Thai bank statements indicating a periodic inflow of cash from overseas. I could also present a yearly contract for renting a condo.

However, I read some concerning threads about people being denied even at the airport for having multiple stamps like I do (and consequently suspicious of working illegally), and not given the chance to present anything like money, bookings or bank statements.

Is my plan flawed, or am I just worrying too much?

Edited by FarangFB

The have tightened up visa exempt entries. In particular the one like yours that are from a bilateral agreement like yours.

You may be able to do a few of them before bother you.

It would be best to get a tourist visa once in a while to break the chain of entries.

"Is my plan flawed, or am I just worrying too much?"

IF there is no restriction in the bilateral agreement to the number or frequency of exempt entries, and you satisfy the Thai requirements on entry, and aren't excluded from entering under section 12 of the immigration act then there is no reason why you cannot enter indefinitely.

That said you will have a target on your back and should expect at some point that immigration will pull you aside for an interview. IMO as long as you can demonstrate that you have sufficient income from abroad to support yourself it should satisfy any suspicions that you are working. If you can't you might have a problem.

Flying in and out will help. Being denied entry at an airport is a big deal. If you are ever denied at any border you have the right to appeal and IMO immigration would need to have a strong case against someone entering on a bilateral agreement visa exempt status to deny entry.

Staying out of the country for only a week isn't going to help, nor is producing a long term rental contract. Both suggest you are living here and are not a typical tourist. You should focus on documents supporting your source and amount of income.

As soon as you qualify for a non-immigration visa you should get one after which your indefinite stay would be more definite.

The have tightened up visa exempt entries. In particular the one like yours that are from a bilateral agreement like yours.

You may be able to do a few of them before bother you.

It would be best to get a tourist visa once in a while to break the chain of entries.

A bilateral agreement visa exemption carries more weight than the tourist visa exempt scheme.

Two countries have legally contracted with each other. Thailand would need a good reason to break that contract and deny entry.