Can I have 2 isps via DSL?

davejonesbkk

I use the internet a lot so I have cable with True and DSL with 3bb. If theres ever a problem with one I simply switch over to the other and never had both down at the same time.

Im moving house soon and the place Im moving to already has a Tot DSL connection but no True cable coverage. However I have an Ais flyer that says they do fiber line connections in the area and my mrs has just called up their rep who said he can get it all installed next week.

Does this mean it will be an entirely separate line for Ais and they wont be sharing the same line or anything like that?

Sorry if this is a noob question!

You will need a separate line for each service.

"ADSL" service is delivered over a telephone line run directly from your premises to the ISPs DSLAM equipment.

"Optical Fiber" is not 'dsl' and run over a community-shared optical fiber line that runs from the ISPs operations center to a branch box location somewhere near your premises, where (in the case of FTTx) a single optical cable is connected then run the rest of the way to your premises.

ADSL uses an "ADSL2+ Modem" / Router

Fiber Optic uses a "Optical Interface Modem" or "Media Converter"

So two separate types of cables.

IF, on the other hand, you are getting TWO adsl circuits, they will need to be run on separate individual wires back to the ISPs DSLAM.

Either way, as the big PIB wrote, "you will need a separate line for each service."

The TOT DSL will be using the copper phone lines, and for the new AIS FTTx service, AIS will run new fibre for you - so no problems in your proposed scenario.

One thing you might like to consider is buying a load balancing router (with dual WAN ports) that will allow you to use both connections simultaneously, and will automatically failover if one of the connections goes down.

• Like 1

OK thanks for the info guys, this will be perfect for me then.

One last question, what package should I go for with the AIS fiber? They have the following below but Ive heard from people before that its pointless getting anything over 10MB or so as the international speed (which obviously Im most interested in) will always be the same...

10/4 590baht

20/7 750 baht

30/10 1,190baht

etc..

Based on my personal experience with various speed packages from TOT ADSL, JINET ADSL, and True DOCSIS (cable) over the years the advertised "domestic" speed (i.e., like the AIS plans you mention above) have little relation to the "international" speed you will get. Just because a plan has an advertised domestic speed of 30Mb does not mean the international speed will be 3 times higher than a 10Mb plan...in fact, you'll probably see little difference when using a speedtester that is not easily fooled by local cache servers....flash/OOKLA-based speedtesters like Speedtest.net can be easily fooled and give international results which pretty much match your domestic download speed results...and sometimes even give you faster-than-light ping times. Best to use java-based speedtesters. Flash/OOKLA-based speed testers are fine for testing your local, basic connection speed but beware when using them for international speed testing.

I've been on the True DOCSIS plan for about 4 years now...I was on their 20Mb, 13Mb, 14Mb, and now 15Mb over those years by me callling up to change plans or some plans automatically upgraded my speed while keeping the price the same. In all those cases my international speed stayed basically same-same. I called once to downgrade from their 20Mb to their 13Mb plan because the 13Mb plan was half the price of the 20Mb plan...after doing that my international speed didn't change at all.

And about six months ago when I was on their 15Mb plan I noticed their new plan prices had a new 18Mb plan at the same price of my 15Mb plan at the time, but the "new" 15Mb plan was a hundred baht lower than my current 15Mb plan. I called True and they were ready to upgrade me immediately to the 18Mb plan which would was the same price as my current 15Mb pricing but I told them No, I just want the new 15Mb plan pricing. So I kept my 15Mb plan but got the new, lower price...I didn't want to keep the same price and merely go from 15Mb to 18Mb because I knew I would see no to very little difference in real world usage for domestic or international surfing/downloading/etc.,...and as you probably know, the DOCSIS comes with speed bursting which can easy give you twice the rated speed for a short period...usually longer than the speedtest test period....typical for me to get around 30Mb domestic download speed on speedtests with short bursts over 40Mb.

Anyway, if it was me I would go with the AIS 20/7 Bt 750 baht plan as it seems to be the best deal from a baht per Mb perspective.....and I seriously doubt the 30/10 plan would give you any more (or very little) international speed when tested by a java-based tester. But if your internet hormones always want the fastest package then the 30Mb plan is the one to go with...but whether it will be any faster in day-to-day realworld interneting, emailing, downloading, etc., may not flush out as desired when all speed impact factors are considered like the ability of your residence Wifi router and computer connection to pump out a 30Mb Wifi data speed connection (not to be confused with sync speed connection like 150Mb or 300Mb N-Router specs)

Also, seems like you need to decide which service you want to make your primary service and which plan you will consider your secondary/backup service only to be used when the primary service goes down. For me when my True DOCSIS service goes down (which has been rare for me) I just create a HotSpot using my smartphone mobile data service and then continue interneting via the HotSpot connection until the True service comes back online which is usually within 15 minutes or so. I'm already paying for that mobile data/cell service and never come anywhere close to using up my monthly mobile data allotment so I see no need for a backup internet service provider. If you have mobile data with your smartphone service maybe you want to consider that approach or give it test for a few months before signing up for a backup internet service provider which you'll probably use very little. Yea, my True DOCSIS and True cable TV service is extremely reliable for uptime.

• Like 1