Indonesia executes drug convicts, defying global anger

webfact

The penalty for dealing or handling drugs is very well known to all travellers that enter Indonesia. I don't condone execution myself but I do support a country's right to exercise the right to protect people against drug importation and export. These people were not executed due to retrospective law but were executed due to existing law when they committed their crime.

In the case of the Aussies there was no doubt that they committed the crime and they have paid a heavy penalty. If they hadn't been caught it is very likely that they would have continued to courier drugs for cash.

The Australians were incarcerated for long enough to turn their life around and make some amends to society for their crimes.

I truly hope that these men rest in peace now as they have truly received full punishment and I hope that their death serves to dissuade other young people from following that path.

In regards to the drug barons and corrupt Indonesian judicial and police that inevitably play a role in these crimes, I hope that they are eventually caught and suffer similar fates.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can guess who is making the big bucks on the drug trade. Same as in LoS...

Alcohol peddlers. Alcoholic drinks, the only recreational drug which is legal. The first rule of successful business: eliminate the competition. Oh, and the old men making (and executing) the laws are alcohol drinkers (and bosom buddies with alcoholic drink execs). 1 + 1 + 1 = 3.

These people knew the laws and consequences, they didn't give a single thought about the lives of others they were destroying. They broke the law and paid for it. The execution of drug dealers is no loss to society, the trash has been taken out.

You know their thoughts? Perhaps you should pick another career path - call yourself 'Chooka The Psychic!'

Every time some driver passes me on an inside lane, they're breaking the law. Should they all be executed also? Who is harmed by a guy smoking some pot in his apartment with headphones listening to music? Another Q: How stoned can a person get from smoking a kilo of hemp in one sitting? Answer: not stoned at all, because smoking hemp can't even get a person a buzz. Yet: having a smidgen on hemp leaf can get a person criminalized in Indonesia. Perhaps you should get some knowledge about recreational drugs before advocating killing people, some of whom did nothing more than agreeing to take money for taking a small package on a plane. Yes, it's stupid, but people do stupid things all the time. Did you never do anything stupid when young? If so, you're a better man than I.

At least they didn't Kill that Philipina, but could be temporary, Bloodthirsty Bastards...I'm sure we' ll have the usual Alcoholics, spouting off about drugs dealers and such, the Rush Limbaugh brigade, it's a Prescription Drug it's OK, cmon bring it on.

It not just Alcoholics who despise drug dealers, tea drinkers see drug dealers and paedophiles as equally disgusting people.

You can despise who you choose to despise. And you can lump drug mules together with pedos, ....might as well add Hitler-lovers, and those with AIDS who have unprotected sex with unsuspecting partners.

Australia has withdrawn thier ambassador and suspended political ties with indonesia.

These people knew the laws and consequences, they didn't give a single thought about the lives of others they were destroying. They broke the law and paid for it. The execution of drug dealers is no loss to society, the trash has been taken out.

The best retaliatory action the Australians could do would be to issue the most stern 'do not travel' warning to Indonesia - the one that voids all travel insurance policies and implement economic sanctions.

All but one of those executed were foreigners and probably not of the same religion which suggests some politician sabre rattling to gain a few votes.

This country needs to be punished for its barbaric and medieval ways.

What about all other countries that have the death penalty? Shall we have economic sanctions against the US, Thailand, Singapore...etc. Care to rationalise your statements? We all know how elections with in south-east asia....so lets not punish the poor populace because they have a government that sucks.

A post using a foreign language has been removed. This is an English language forum, English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

At least they didn't Kill that Philipina, but could be temporary, Bloodthirsty Bastards...I'm sure we' ll have the usual Alcoholics, spouting off about drugs dealers and such, the Rush Limbaugh brigade, it's a Prescription Drug it's OK, cmon bring it on.

I think that the complete drug politics is wrong. But the laws in Indonesia are well known. Last time I was there, there was a big warning about death penalty for drugs and big box where you can drop any drugs before you enter the country. So everyone knows what he does.

question. they would NEVER have been caught without the assistance of the Australian police
So how can the goverment have any reason to ask for clemency or object?

Mick Keelty, who led the Australian Federal Police when they chose to tip off the Indonesian authorities to the activities of these two men, knowing full well that this information would likely lead to their deaths,

Australia has withdrawn thier ambassador and suspended political ties with indonesia.

The best retaliatory action the Australians could do would be to issue the most stern 'do not travel' warning to Indonesia - the one that voids all travel insurance policies and implement economic sanctions.

All but one of those executed were foreigners and probably not of the same religion which suggests some politician sabre rattling to gain a few votes.

I think a warning: Don't travel with drugs to Indonesia would be enough....and I think this warning exists already.

Fact: more deaths and suffering are caused by Pharma drugs than all illegal drugs combined.

The cumulative suffering and deaths from alcohol are probably greater than the suffering and death caused by Pharma drugs.

Yet, all recreational drugs other than alcohol are criminalized, and Pharma drugs are dispensed like there's no tomorrow.

There's big money in Pharma, in alcohol and in illegal drugs. But one of those three can get you executed, if caught one time with a package.

Conclusions: Pharma and alcohol have great lobbyists and have friends in high places, and don't want any competition from pot or opiates.

Addendum: One of the founders of the cruel anti-pot and anti-opiates drug laws, (US's Mr. Anslinger, in the 1930's), was himself an opiate junkie (he mainlined every morning). The laws from that era, including criminalizing pot, have become the laws of most countries worldwide ever since. A big reason the US's DEA has such a large influence ww, is its willingness to spend billions of dollars annually to force its policy on other countries.

Ironically, the US is starting to change its drug laws - toward being less draconian. A recent meeting of the most conservative right-wing lawmakers in the US concluded that America's laws against recreational drugs were cruel and its 'War on Drugs' has been a dismal failure. SE Asia will follow, but will always be decades behind trends set by the US.

I suspect drug smuggling will take a hit after this.

Well done Indo.

Drug smuggling and drug use will not be affected in the slightest. The trade will continue, those responsible for it will enjoy the usual protection afforded by the police, the military and by politicians. The presumption that this has anything to do with trying to stop drugs is fanciful. The drug trade is a vital element of the black economy in Indonesia and provides a huge source of revenue to many, including some of those with direct responsibility for its eradication/control

Edited by Prbkk

Bill Shorten, Australia's Opposition Leader, and author of several Mills and Boon novels, replied to the executions in the following manner:

".....Yet today, they were made to pay for one stupid decision of 10 years ago with their lives...."

As alleged ring leaders of the Bali Nine, I doubt very much that this incident ten years ago was their first involvement in drug trafficking. I also doubt, had they not been caught, that it would have been their last.

Lots and lots of stupid decisions Mr Shorten?

I can guess who is making the big bucks on the drug trade. Same as in LoS...

Worst than in Thailand, this piece of shiiite land make me throw out.

The criminals are the ones who kill someone for drug charges. Go to hell.

It is well know that the purpose of the drug politic, no matter if in Indonesia, Europe or USA, is to keep the prices and profits high.

Giving drugs for the addicted at low prices at pharmacies would fix all problems and saves huge amount of money. But the drug mafia would be ruined and drug mafia is usually well connected with politics.

Fact: more deaths and suffering are caused by Pharma drugs than all illegal drugs combined.

The cumulative suffering and deaths from alcohol are probably greater than the suffering and death caused by Pharma drugs.

Yet, all recreational drugs other than alcohol are criminalized, and Pharma drugs are dispensed like there's no tomorrow.

There's big money in Pharma, in alcohol and in illegal drugs. But one of those three can get you executed, if caught one time with a package.

Conclusions: Pharma and alcohol have great lobbyists and have friends in high places, and don't want any competition from pot or opiates.

Addendum: One of the founders of the cruel anti-pot and anti-opiates drug laws, (US's Mr. Anslinger, in the 1930's), was himself an opiate junkie (he mainlined every morning). The laws from that era, including criminalizing pot, have become the laws of most countries worldwide ever since. A big reason the US's DEA has such a large influence ww, is its willingness to spend billions of dollars annually to force its policy on other countries.

Ironically, the US is starting to change its drug laws - toward being less draconian. A recent meeting of the most conservative right-wing lawmakers in the US concluded that America's laws against recreational drugs were cruel and its 'War on Drugs' has been a dismal failure. SE Asia will follow, but will always be decades behind trends set by the US.

Do you have a reference to an opiate addiction for Anslinger? I do see accounts that Anslinger supplied Tail-gunner Joe McCarthy with morphine, which I had never known before.

Bill Shorten, Australia's Opposition Leader, and author of several Mills and Boon novels, replied to the executions in the following manner:

".....Yet today, they were made to pay for one stupid decision of 10 years ago with their lives...."

As alleged ring leaders of the Bali Nine, I doubt very much that this incident ten years ago was their first involvement in drug trafficking. I also doubt, had they not been caught, that it would have been their last.

Lots and lots of stupid decisions Mr Shorten?

Almost certainly true, Andrew Chan first tried heroin as a 14 year old and was running with some very bad people. But the fact is after getting caught both he and Myuran had turned their lives around and become useful members of society.I reckon teens already on the wrong path are much more likely to listen to an ex-con telling them to wake up rather than some middle class social worker.

But sadly it was not to be. If it's any consolation to their families it will be in the warm tributes to the two from many who knew them in prison, at least there their lives were not in vain.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Let us for a moment assume that they were convicted by a real court, on real evidence - not by a mickey mouse court, <deleted>land style.
The death penalty would still be a horror, an abomination.
But it would be a horror, an abomination that is not high on my list. After all, those people were serial murderers.

You've lost me there, who murdered who ?

Drug sellers murder their customers. Slowly.

Their customers also have an option to say no to drugs, and don't you forget that.

All the one cry now and rumble against Indonesia, why do not you cries out against Saudi Arabia, Yemen and and and many other country's.Those country's have death penalty for really stupid reasons and they even kill with stones.

I find it a little disturbing that nearly all of those who were murdered today are foreigners. Only one was from Indonesia.

This sounds political or worse still religiously motivated to me.

yeah right coffee1.gif

And this happened while there is an investigation into the judges being corrupt.

Yet the Indonesians reported the investigation was completed, with no witnesses questioned and no answer to what was the result of the investigation.

No one is saying they didnt deserve punishment. 20 or 30 years would have been just, then some time off for their good deed whilst locked up, those good deeds cannot be denied.

Gaol is there as punishment, not for punishment, it is also for rehabilitation. They deserved more years in gaol, not death.

Yes they knew the risks and have accepted the consequences.Who are we to interfere with indonesian law?Western govts. would not accept it if the "boot was on the other foot"

But i have to ask myself,where is the forgiveness,for it would appear they were remorseful and did many good deeds while in prison.I would like to think everyone deserves a second chance.

Would have preferred they be given a

prison sentence and made to work in drug rehabilitation centre's so they could see the damage that drugs like heroin do to people.

Pluralistic politics has some merit but pluralistic laws IMO are unreasonable. Government sanctioning of tobacco and alcohol products for example that ruin many peoples' lives and endanger many of our childrens' lives set a double standard and a bad example.

Obviously, highly dangerous and addictive drugs need to be controlled and penalties be in place for breaching related laws but again IMO these penalties of languishing in jail for years followed by execution are backward, draconian and hypocritical.

Edited by piersbeckett

Let us for a moment assume that they were convicted by a real court, on real evidence - not by a mickey mouse court, <deleted>land style.

The death penalty would still be a horror, an abomination.

But it would be a horror, an abomination that is not high on my list. After all, those people were serial murderers.

You've lost me there, who murdered who ?

Drug sellers murder their customers. Slowly.

As do tobacco and alcohol manufacturers. How will this muslim state deal with them. Bali, predominantly Hindu, did not want them executed on their island but were powerless to prevent it on Java. I have many Balinese Hindu friends who are all of the opinion that only God (or whatever name you give him) has the right to take life.

What God gives, only God can take away. I agree with them.

All the one cry now and rumble against Indonesia, why do not you cries out against Saudi Arabia, Yemen and and and many other country's.Those country's have death penalty for really stupid reasons and they even kill with stones.

Because they have oil!

Death penalty is an abomination wherever it exists. But as punishment for drug offenses it's very stupid. It has never stopped illegal drug distribution. Why would it? Increasing the risks of the drug business just raises the price of the drugs to the point that someone else is willing to take the risks. But the people who love punishment continue to love it no matter how little it accomplishes.

The deterrent appears to be effective in Singapore?

Well Bali would be on its knees in no time without Australian tourists.

There is strong support within Indonesia for the death penalty and anti-drugs actions, so this is also political.

Not only Indonesia has the death penalty........do you also condone punishing say the USA?

Yes to the question.

Unfortunately the Balinese Hindus are a small minority in Indonesia who are rarely heard.

Legalise all drugs and the problem will dsappear overnight.

Mostly true. There will always be problems with drug use, as long as people do things to excess and/or get violent or harmful. Greed for money can be harmful. Too much sugar can be harmful. Advertising sugar products for infants can cause lots of harm. The list is endless. It's hard to legislate for people to be less stupid and harmful to themselves and others and the environment. But you're right, the Drug War has been a colossal failure, except for the people who got rich from it, and those (like Nixon and Reagan) who gained political traction from it.

Excellent news to wake up to this morning. Really made my day.

Another Rah Rah Type

For me the rights and wrongs of the death penalty is a separate issue.

The fact is, Indonesia has the death penalty. These guys knew the penalty, tried it on anyway and got caught. Can't really see what the problem is.