Why does my PC keep giving me electric shocks?

pinkpanther99

And, since connected to UPS, the UPS would also need to carry the ground. You could also try taking off the PC cover and giving the inside a good vacuum.

Sure, that will definitely hoover up all those nasty excess electrons that have collected in the case.cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3-cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3-cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3- .

Maybe an extra fan is needed to simply blow them out?

In my experience, the dust webs that collect inside of equipment and can conduct some charge from a live contact to the frame is the reason most PC's will have the "tingle".

And, since connected to UPS, the UPS would also need to carry the ground. You could also try taking off the PC cover and giving the inside a good vacuum.

Sure, that will definitely hoover up all those nasty excess electrons that have collected in the case.cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3-cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3-cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3- .

In my experience, the dust webs that collect inside of equipment and can conduct some charge from a live contact to the frame is the reason most PC's will have the "tingle".

Sorry, but that is absolute misleading nonsense.

The "tingle" or in some cases "severe jolt" comes from not earthing the external metal parts of the equipment.

Some really bizarre solutions.smile.png

Two things. Earth Motherboard (systemboard) by screwing the motherboard to case - which in turn grounds through the Earth Terminal through Plug Socket. Motherboard is also grounded through the PSU with the POWer connection from PSU.

Ground all CD-Rom's, Hard-drive's, floppy's - otherwise you are asking for it!.

Some info here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/359132-28-ground-motherboard-metal-case

On a more funny note, you could wear something similar to the picture below (or wear flip-flops), it will stop the hard-drive, motherboard or other components being fried due to static electricity:

post-232297-0-89586000-1430327061_thumb.

Edited by meltingpot2015

Sorry, but that is absolute misleading nonsense.

The "tingle" or in some cases "severe jolt" comes from not earthing the external metal parts of the equipment.

Apology accepted. FYI: There will not be a 'tingle' if the unit is grounded. When there is a 'tingle' it is just as likely to be from dust build up as from the PS.

hello,

I have the same problems, as soon as I touch the metal, as well as computer, toaster, plates from the oven.

These are very mild tingling, but very unpleasant.

But in my THAI housing, there is no ground connection, ground line.

OK chaps, I think we can draw this one to a close.

There is some 'interesting' advice in this thread, but the overwhelming theme is ground, ground, ground!

The exact mechanism by which the tingle gets to the metalwork is overwhelmingly via the mains filter. I've not come across a PSU sufficiently dirty to allow detectable leakage without the PSU itself stopping, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

A note to those vacuuming out their PCs, POWER OFF!. The best way is to disturb the dust with a small paintbrush and use the vacuum to pull it out of the air rather than try to use the vacuum direct, and don't be tempted to spin the fan using compressed air, you can actually damage the motherboard.