The Trans Pacific Partnership

The United States is negotiating the TPP with 11 other like-minded countries (Australia, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, and Vietnam) that share a commitment to concluding a high-standard, ambitious agreement and to expanding the initial group to include additional countries throughout the Asia-Pacific region. We are in the endgame of negotiations, making TPP the most promising platform for Asia-Pacific regional trade integration.

Notice anyone missing from the list?

What it means, my less than learned friends, is that the future Pacific power stratagem of the West is leaving Thailand behind. Me thinks that robust export growth, in the long run, is not in Thailand's future if the country is going to have to rely on China as its primary trading partner. And remember, "He that lieth down with dogs shall rise up with fleas" - Benjamin Franklin. I can see LOS starting to scratch now.

The TPP is not much of a trade agreement. Instead its chief goal is to extend intellectual property protections for which the chief beneficiaries will be the US drug companies, although I am sure that Bill Gates will also be pleased. Thailand and other developing countries are wise not to sign on since it will prevent them from producing or selling low-cost drugs.

• 7 months later...

It appears that the current government is considering its position regarding The Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Features/Trans-Pacific-Partnership/Thailand-giving-serious-thought-to-joining-deputy-prime-minister

Much is written about how it will have positive and negative effects on the Thai people. I was wondering what is the viewpoint of

ex-pats living in Thailand. Will it help improve our ability to be employed in the kingdom. What happens to laws that restrict foreign ownership to 49%.

Will it benefit ex-pats whose home countries are members of the TPP FTA.

Don't worry, Thailand will jump on the TPP band wagon after it goes around the track a few times and there is hardly any seats left. Thailand has never been the type to do things fast....they still have years of committee meetings in studying TPP before they decide what to do. Thai time.