DHL to Thailand

MZurf

I've ordered an item on Ebay which will be shipped by DHL from Europe to Thailand. I assume all shipments will have to clear Thai customs first so any idea what kind of delay I can expect?

When my company ships something over by DHL from Europe, we have it in 3-5 days.

Would expect it's the same for you.

But attention: DHL can mean DHL or for German people it can mean the regular German post office.

When my company ships something over by DHL from Europe, we have it in 3-5 days.

Would expect it's the same for you.

But attention: DHL can mean DHL or for German people it can mean the regular German post office.

Do hope it means regular post, if it's DHL couriers expect a bill for import duty, storage and VAT :(

I paid 90 US $ for the item and 26 $ for the shipping. How many percent tax would I likely pay for it? It says DHL as well as Deutche Post DHL on the tracking page so I'm assuming this is the regular DHL company?

DHL handle all mail in Germany, so it could be arriving through the regular mail channel, not through the courier channel.

The post directly above yours has stated whats "likely" to be charged if it comes through the courier channel.

116 x 30% = 150.80 x 7% = 161.35 - 116 = $45.36 around 1400 Baht approx.

DHL handle all mail in Germany, so it could be arriving through the regular mail channel, not through the courier channel.

The post directly above yours has stated whats "likely" to be charged if it comes through the courier channel.

116 x 30% = 150.80 x 7% = 161.35 - 116 = $45.36 around 1400 Baht approx.

Thanks for the break down of the costs. That's not an insubstantial extra cost, but I'm more worried it will get stuck in the system once arriving in Thailand.

Whenever I have a delivery by DHL I always seem to pay more tax than by other means such as regular post. If ordering something I always ask the shipper to avoid DHL like the plague. I think they have customs officers embedded in their office in Thailand and they assume that a lot of shipments are for farangs who can pay more. Just my guess.

If it is dhl couriers you are in for a nightmare. Am going through a drama with them as i write this. They are absolutely useless. When i buy from ebay in future i will be telling seller if it comes to dhl couriers then i will not be doing the transaction. They hold the stuff up until you throw money at the problem. They tell we need a paper to clear the item but cannot tell where to get the paper and are not interested in helping. Fkn useless comes to mind

Edited by callaway

Agree with the above negative comments DHL are in league with Thai Customs. A parcel of clothes and a child's toy was seized and the owner held to ransom for 6 times the original cost of the items - this after many days trying to track parcel over Songran.

I've ordered from eBay about two dozen times since I've been here and everything has always been delivered to my door regardless of carrier with one exception. I ordered a specimen of silica aerogel which is extremely fragile and it got stuck at the customs office on chaengwatana road. I went to get it, they asked me to open it so they could inspect it. It had "FRAGILE" and "DO NOT HANDLE" stickers all over the box, so of course once I opened it the lady had to poke at it with her fingernail. It snapped into three pieces and she ended up charging me 2000 baht duty for it.

What an awful day that was.

Agree with those who say DHL =problems (and extra cost) but would add same is true of Fedex and other couriers. You want to avoid delivery by courier and stick to regular post. Fewer delays, fewer customs hassles and often lower duty levied.