Nepal tells foreign rescue teams not to come: UN

webfact

Nepal tells foreign rescue teams not to come: UN
Agence France-Presse
KATHMANDU

KATHMANDU: -- Nepal has told foreign search and rescue teams not to come because there are already enough in the earthquake-hit country, a senior UN official said Wednesday.

Resident coordinator for Nepal Jamie McGoldrick said the government had decided it had enough foreign experts in and around the capital Kathmandu, which has been devastated by a

"They feel they have enough capacity to deal with the immediate needs in search and rescue," he told AFP.

"Those that are already en route can come but the others are being told not to."

Kathmandu’s tiny single-runway airport has struggled to accommodate the huge rush of flights bringing in aid and foreign experts.

A French military plane carrying relief supplies and medical charity workers was on Wednesday stuck in Abu Dhabi because it could not get permission to land in Kathmandu, according to a French foreign ministry source.

McGoldrick said most of the foreign search and rescue teams in the country were still in the capital.

"There is a window of seven to nine days, tops, to rescue people. We are now on day four," he said, adding that by Saturday operations would likely move on to the next stage.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Nepal-tells-foreign-rescue-teams-not-to-come-UN-30259005.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-29

i have been there and lived there and its a wonderful country full of warm friendly people.

The government is f@#ked thou, I read the above as;

Dont send teams and we will need 10 x more help getting the country back together long after all the search and rescue teams have left.

• Like 1

i have been there and lived there and its a wonderful country full of warm friendly people.

The government is f@#ked thou, I read the above as;

Dont send teams and we will need 10 x more help getting the country back together long after all the search and rescue teams have left.

I can only agree. Generous people with nothing to give but the heart.

• Like 1

Perfectly reasonable. Their appears to be an insurmountable bottleneck in getting in and out of the country. Right now, it would seem medical supplies, emergency shelters, water, and even food are the priorities over hordes of rescue volunteers unloading themselves and then taking up supplies, rations, and facilities that need to go to those hurt by the earthquake.

Can you people criticising them not read properly or something?

They are saying that they have enough resources for the search and rescue job.

They are not saying they don't need any other help.

For heaven's sake take the time to absorb the message before you go off on your little rants.

Pi55ing in the wind.

It is a sign of the times. It used to cost time and money to write letters and make comments, and comments were reviewed before being published, so people would not bother or put some effort into what they wrote.

Nowadays we have the age of instant free messaging and posting. A quick scan of a sentence, some thought pops into the brain, off go the fingers to the keyboard and "send" to the entire world.

Job done, "click" next topic please.

I guess most do not even bother to follow the topic after the instant thought dump.

Nepal is an awesome country full of truly friendly people struggling to get by in a very adverse climate.

Given the limited capacity they obviously need to prioritize what they need sending. I would have thought they would also ask the world to stop sending journalists as well though.

• Like 1

Given the limited capacity they obviously need to prioritize what they need sending. I would have thought they would also ask the world to stop sending journalists as well though.

Well a positive is that all those drones might come in handy (the journalists' ones, not the US military's :) )

I remember watching some documentaries about rebuilding efforts on Haiti years ago.

Seems the NGOs flew in (first class), booked entire floors in the very best hotels (security, they claimed) and partied in the hotel bars until the wee hours, breaking only to load an occasional vehicle with bottled water every couple of days.

They brought their own trucks and drivers (so they didn't have to hire the unwashed local drivers) And they bought virtually nothing locally.

The way the documentary came off, it looked like a real boondoggle for most of them, pretty much ignoring the need to put locals to work whose jobs had been eliminated by the earthquake.

But, in fairness, this was long after initial rescue efforts and long term rebuilding was in progress. The documentary also pointed out that the value gained for contributors money was less than "efficient". Billions of dollars and most of it seemed to be spent maintaining the lifestyle of the NGO folk...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

I remember watching some documentaries about rebuilding efforts on Haiti years ago.

Seems the NGOs flew in (first class), booked entire floors in the very best hotels (security, they claimed) and partied in the hotel bars until the wee hours, breaking only to load an occasional vehicle with bottled water every couple of days.

They brought their own trucks and drivers (so they didn't have to hire the unwashed local drivers) And they bought virtually nothing locally.

The way the documentary came off, it looked like a real boondoggle for most of them, pretty much ignoring the need to put locals to work whose jobs had been eliminated by the earthquake.

But, in fairness, this was long after initial rescue efforts and long term rebuilding was in progress. The documentary also pointed out that the value gained for contributors money was less than "efficient". Billions of dollars and most of it seemed to be spent maintaining the lifestyle of the NGO folk...

Back in 2004, the "DEC" had about 100m of UK peoples money and instead of getting it where it was needed, essentially squandered it because they did not have a f---king clue.

I wouldn't give any of the Red Cross, Oxfam, Save the Children a bloody satang.

• Like 1

Offer them money and see what their response will be... but than again, what do you expect from

a forth world country?

to send money , the officials would like, dont avoid it, most of this money would end in their pockets

and not used for the poores; Better pay to some help organisations which will spend the money more effectively;

But dont think you can buy drinking water cheap as in Thailand !! All water, even up in the mountains have to be purified to be healthy ! Enviromental the country was already before a garbidge bin !! sorry to be so hard,

but I travell there for 30 years !!

Please stay on topic.

The people of Nepal will need assistance in rebuilding their homes and lives.

I have worked in countries that had disasters. An influx of outsiders, including the press, take a lot of precious resources. The situation can be quite chaotic and in some of these situations it's a matter of too many chiefs, not enough Indians.

Offer them money and see what their response will be... but than again, what do you expect from

a forth world country?

I wonder from which ?th World this sort of comment is coming 'forth' from?

Who would want such even at ones grave site?

bah.gif

I've seen this sort of thing first hand during the 2004 Tsunami.
In the aftermath it was realized that some places had more 'complications' created by the do-gooders than from the Tsunami itself!
If I am not mistaken, India refused foreign aid totally.
Nepal's decision cannot be condemned 100%, although it might offend some.