Licensing Officials continue to check Pattaya Bars and issue Shisha Warning

webfact

Licensing Officials continue to check Pattaya Bars and issue Shisha Warning

bar-21.jpg

PATTAYA: -- A warning has been issued by the Banglamung District Licensing Unit that the checks on late-opening Bars around Pattaya City will continue for the foreseeable future and special attention will be placed on searching for venues offering Shisha which can only be sold in bars with the correct license.

In the early hours of Wednesday the team visited a number of small Thai Bars located along Pattaya Third Road and found a number of bars open late and selling Shisha without the correct license.

Source: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/188609/licensing-officials-continue-to-check-pattaya-bars-and-issue-shisha-warning/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-04-30

What on earth is "Shisha" ? A very poor news report !

Shisha is strong tobacco, smoked in a Hookah, which is a water pipe. The smoke from the burning tobacco is sucked through water, to cool it. The tobacco may, or may not, have 'additives'. If you Google 'shisha' you can see pictures of these things.

Originally a Middle Eastern thing but now popular in a lot of places. The Arab quarter in Pattaya has bars in which you can indulge.

DM

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

These days with Google available at the touch of a button, why does anyone have to ask, on a public forum, what shisha is, or anything else for that matter!

Whats Google ?

Ask Google.

• Like 1

These days with Google available at the touch of a button, why does anyone have to ask, on a public forum, what shisha is, or anything else for that matter!

Because they can. It's called freedom of choice.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Whats Google ?

Google it! cheesy.gif

Of course they can, and it is, but I'd call it lack of thinking because, and I'm not particularly pointing the finger at this poster, many people who ask what seems to me to be an easy question, could save themselves from looking silly, by simply Googling it instead of putting the question out on an open forum for all to see.

If you Google "Shisha" for example, it comes up with the perfect Wikipedia answer ... and a whole lot more! wai.gif

Of course they can, and it is, but I'd call it lack of thinking because, and I'm not particularly pointing the finger at this poster, many people who ask what seems to me to be an easy question, could save themselves from looking silly, by simply Googling it instead of putting the question out on an open forum for all to see.

If you Google "Shisha" for example, it comes up with the perfect Wikipedia answer ... and a whole lot more! wai.gif

I have to admit that I was a bit confused at first. The OP picture indicates he is looking at food or drink and then it goes on to say 'bars selling it", as though it was a food or drink. It might have been better if they had said simply 'smoking' ......

I remember a recent post (by an American) when he talked about 'the perp packing heat'. Again, I had to think about this for a moment........

It's only a forum, and most people scan the answers and don't break off to interrogate Google half way through.

Not meant to be argumentative at all, but Shisha may be well understood to many, but not others like myself - who lead a sheltered life!

Whats Google ?

An extraordinarily useful service product which the EU is trying to nobble out of 'not invented here' jealousy.

I don't understand when they say the correct license is needed. Sisha is illegal in Thailand. Do the police mean the correct donations are not being paid.

Precisely. The bars - AFAIK - dont make a satang from the sale of Shisha : the guys who sell it bring the pipe into the bar, collect the money and leave. What really surprises me about it is that many of the biggest 'addicts' are people who dont smoke cigarettes, and many cigarette smokers wont touch it. I've never been a fan of any form of smoking, but I dont find shisha as annoying as cigarette smoke unless its being blown directly in my face.

The BiB would have recognised this as a solid gold revenue stream from the day the first pipes began appearing in Pattaya and I believe that its no coincidence that the General's crackdown on their revenue raising activities coincided with a jump from 150 to 180THB for a pipe and the tobacco/charcoal etc. Ironically, it seems even more popular with many of the girls when their bars are empty for most of the night than when they're busy - presumably it helps kill time. I've had both sexes tell me it has an aphrodisiac effect and others tell me they get some sort of high from it - smoking simply doesnt appeal to me but obviously there is a huge market for it.

I don't understand when they say the correct license is needed. Sisha is illegal in Thailand. Do the police mean the correct donations are not being paid.

Precisely. The bars - AFAIK - dont make a satang from the sale of Shisha : the guys who sell it bring the pipe into the bar, collect the money and leave. What really surprises me about it is that many of the biggest 'addicts' are people who dont smoke cigarettes, and many cigarette smokers wont touch it. I've never been a fan of any form of smoking, but I dont find shisha as annoying as cigarette smoke unless its being blown directly in my face.

The BiB would have recognised this as a solid gold revenue stream from the day the first pipes began appearing in Pattaya and I believe that its no coincidence that the General's crackdown on their revenue raising activities coincided with a jump from 150 to 180THB for a pipe and the tobacco/charcoal etc. Ironically, it seems even more popular with many of the girls when their bars are empty for most of the night than when they're busy - presumably it helps kill time. I've had both sexes tell me it has an aphrodisiac effect and others tell me they get some sort of high from it - smoking simply doesnt appeal to me but obviously there is a huge market for it.

I'll admit to smoking shisha and I'm not, nor have I ever been, a cigarette smoker. I first tried it on a trip to Dubai and fell in love with it. I can't comment on the aphrodisiac qualities (I've never experienced that) but there is a little "hit" that you get when you smoke it. We're not talking drug high or anything. I assume it's similar to the hit that cigarette smokers get with their first smoke of the day.

I like it because it is very smooth, the flavors taste wonderful and it's just relaxing. I'm not addicted to it by any means - I might smoke shisha once every couple of months. And you're right, most of the bars that have it aren't making anything off of it. They don't actually sell it, there's just a guy that drives by every 15 minutes or so offering it and changing out the charcoal on the ones that are in use.

The stuff is popular on soi 6 in Pattaya. Quite apart from the health risks of smoking the equivalent of 40 cigarettes, the guys who deliver the hot coals do so at breakneck speed going the wrong way up the soi as the drivers try ti impress the girls.