Family holiday - where? Please inspire me:

cyberholz

We're looking forward to spend some quality family time this July/August break, but guess what, should we go to Australia? India? Where else?

Or even Europe? Europe during summer when everyone's traveling is a bit crowded...

The budget, not including flights, is about $5-6k.

We like nature, a bit of culture, walks, good food.

Not the U.S., done that last time and it was gorgeous.

Appreciate your inputs what you'd do, thanks in advance!

I would suggest Germany. Rhine/Mosel valley area around Koblenz. The Mosel valley around Bernkastel Kues is particularly scenic and the town has some very attractive buildings. Weather should be good that time of year.

A couple of days in Cologne would be worth while, stunning cathedral. If you are into theme parks, there is quite a good one not far from Cologne called Fantasialand, its on google.

South America; Peru, Chile, Argentina. Brazil is also wonderful but harder to negotiate linguistically. South America also has the advantage of being winter..much cooler.

S.E. Asia?? Laos & Vietnam. The mountainous area of Laos between Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang is spectacular and the Mon villages are a true culture apart. Many small GH's.along the main route 13, .not fancy but amazing.

North and the Central Highlands of Viet Nam offer a wide range of experience, spectacular mountains but with the coast and beaches never more than a half day away. Great rail journey between Hanoi & HCMC.

I found India to be better as an idea than as an actuality. Traveling in India is a lot of work and the pressure on your pocket unrelenting. I won't say scams although they certainly abound...It's just that you can never escape for a minute being a target...no matter where you are. If you resent the sometimes double pricing in Thailand, you will certainly not enjoy the triple, sometimes quad ripple price gouging you will encounter. Filth and bad air everywhere.

Australia?? I spent 2 days in Adelaide and really liked it. That's all I've seen so far but I hope to go back sometime. Aus. $ is week just now so a good time to go with US $ but prices are really up there.

Edited by dddave

sorry but this is an unanswerable question without

how big is the family

how old are the kids

where are you now

what are ur an the kids interest

where do you want to go

where do the KIDS want to go

$5-6 grand for how long

Its a big wide wonderful world

Many varibels to consider.....Turkey is way cool. Well unless your a jihadi......Vietnam is beautiful and a nice time to go......then again Sri Lanka is nice.......just avoid Indonesia......or the Maldives is awesome....for the adventurous try Sao Taome and Principe.......

New Zealand South Island. Unspoiled natural beauty, few vehicles or people. We went in 2013 and were wowed by it, going back next year.

Late 2014 we took a trip to NZ - Hired a Motorhome for a month (Mostly in the South Island) starting off in Christchurch finishing off in Aukland.

We took the trip with my Wife, Son (11months old at the time) and myself.

The trip was amazing - I'd do the same trip again in a heartbeat.

Incredible nature: Milford Sound, Punakiki, Southern Alps, Lake Taupo, Rotarua, Explorers Highway - way too much to list

Incredible thrills: Skydiving, Bungee, Jet Boating (yes both Wife and I took it in turns between baby watch!)

Amazing food and Wine (white): Marlboro Sauvignon Blanc, Otago Pinot Gris

for anyone who hasn't taken in a trip to NZ (particularly motor homing) - Its on many peoples bucket list for a very good reason.

Australia ..nice but expensive now.

New Zealand....sensational, compact, good wine, great food, was cheap compared to Aussie before the NZ dollar reached parity. But I visit NZ nearly yearly and Australia regularly.

I agree South America is cheap, fun, great food and in my own experience, nice people there. The hardest part is the flight.

For my money I reckon NZ has a bit of everything

Maui motorhome Sydney to brisbane or up to Cairns. Depends on time?

NZ for winter sports and snow. I dont recommend this but just to remind you what the south island is like in jul/aug.

Japan rail pass 7 day/ or 14day or 21day. Buy an airfare via Beijing or hong Kong or taipei and have city break on the way there or a duel holiday Japan and Taiwan? japan and China.

Turkey or Greece for a beach island holiday. Travel indirect via Switzerland, germany , france or the UK and do a stopover?

Motorhome Vancouver to Calgary.

Sri Lanka.

Yorkshire. England.

Everything you could wish for under the sun, when it eventually comes out that is.

Although it is particularly bad for watching football.

Can't have everything I suppose.

This is one beautiful list of suggestions, thank you very much all!

Many of the tours we've done already, NZ, Italy, Switzerland, France, but Germany with Berlin could be interesting, I heard prices are fair, or why not England or Scotland!

I guess during the summer break the islanders all head south, so it's not too crowded?

I'm a continental European, my wife's Thai, son is 16.

Again, really appreciate all the feedback!

I thought asking in here after checking campervan prices in Australia. Gosh!

Just throwing some stuff out. What about South Korea? We loved it there. Bali? Some great places to check out, including nearby islands...some with dragons! LOL

I did a 30 day trip in India with a car and driver. It was fantastic. Wonderful old palaces. Camping in the desert with camels. Fun.

Just throwing some stuff out. What about South Korea? We loved it there. Bali? Some great places to check out, including nearby islands...some with dragons! LOL

I did a 30 day trip in India with a car and driver. It was fantastic. Wonderful old palaces. Camping in the desert with camels. Fun.

India, Craig, India... Lived there some time and loved it, dunno how the family would...

What places did you visit? Didn't feel bothered too much? What about the compulsory train rides!

How much was the 30-day trip? In Indie one could afford nice hotels me guesses.

Could you recommend an agent?

Take Kenya Air direct to Nairobi, get an airport transfer direct to the Maasai Mara to avoid staying in Nairobi and enjoy a spectacular safari. Consider timings if you want to see the Great Migration as an added bonus.

I pretty much just did Rajasthan. Driver picked me up from Delhi and we left town immediately! Too crazy for me. He took care of all hotels and where to eat. I was never hassled as he knew where to go and where not to go! No train rides. Dropped me off at the airport and off I went. Fantastic.

I'm still in touch with my guide. I can ask him what the rates are now. It was a wonderful way to travel. Private car with driver, can stop when you want, and he knows all the good places to eat and stay. Fantastic trip.

why not England or Scotland!

Just a bit of a gamble with the weather.

I am from Morayshire and the Aviemore area is quite spectacular with plenty of family type activities. Most are outdoor and really great if the weather is good but can go downhill if you catch a rainy spell.

It seems you haven't toured the Uk/Ireland. Bet the wife and kid would love to go. Weather at its best july n August. Tour either england or combine it with Wales ..isle of man..ireland..Scotland. ..scottish Islands. ..so much to see and do.

Take Kenya Air direct to Nairobi, get an airport transfer direct to the Maasai Mara to avoid staying in Nairobi and enjoy a spectacular safari. Consider timings if you want to see the Great Migration as an added bonus.

Safari is never going to be more than a week so take a short flight to Zanzibar for a beach break.