How much do you spend per day?

Stan42

I was in Sukhumvit and asked a very professional-looking taxi driver how much a ride to Pattaya would be.

He told me, "One baht."

He was probably referring to 1 baht of gold.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

e23b150df18138e7c1e5b9d4e97c2ed612f04e4f

Seriously you pay a grand a day for food, drinks and transportation? You must eat at 4-star restaurants 3 times a day, drink champaigne and have a personal chauffeur.

That ain't hard to do especially if you're not into street food and are a little picky about the kind of places you'll raise a glass.

200-300 baht is typical unless it is a drinking day. Almost all my food is street food and I walk everywhere. That doesn't include money given to the wife or the rent(averages a measly~3k baht per month). If I didn't have a wife or drink I'd probably be able to get by on 10,000 baht a month easily. That's US$300 a month so don't say it can't be done.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

e23b150df18138e7c1e5b9d4e97c2ed612f04e4f

Seriously you pay a grand a day for food, drinks and transportation? You must eat at 4-star restaurants 3 times a day, drink champaigne and have a personal chauffeur.

That ain't hard to do especially if you're not into street food and are a little picky about the kind of places you'll raise a glass.

I eat meals between 100-200, anything above 300 I consider to be an occasional treat. I walk, which saves me tremendous traveling costs (remember the meter already starts at 35) and I buy my beer at 7-11 to drink at home. All the bars in my soi charge 65+ for a glass. But that said, my weekly shopping costs 3'000, my medical bills cost 1'500 a week and I left out rent and electricity. Maybe I should fit that in too... I now agree it's difficult to get a rough estimate :(

For the two of us i average about less than 600 baht a day. This includes house rental, meals, travel, hotel, gas for bike, misc. Totally possible and it is a good life. Learning to speak Thai can save you a great deal of money.

How would learning to speak Thai reduce my rent/electric/water/shopping at foodland/car repayments etc etc etc ?

While you are learning Thai you cant spend money

For the two of us i average about less than 600 baht a day. This includes house rental, meals, travel, hotel, gas for bike, misc. Totally possible and it is a good life. Learning to speak Thai can save you a great deal of money.

How would learning to speak Thai reduce my rent/electric/water/shopping at foodland/car repayments etc etc etc ?

So whilst iam learning Thai I can ignore my fixed outgoings, thats awesome.... where do I sign up ?

I spend 4,000 baht / day and all other expenses are already paid .. so lunch & dinner & beer & tips come to around 4,000 ( breakfast is included in my Sheraton room rate.

Every few weeks I tip my limo driver 1,000 baht for being prompt.

So whilst iam learning Thai I can ignore my fixed outgoings, thats awesome.... where do I sign up ?

Dont be bloody stupid of course you cant but you dont need to pay for travel and fuel for bike / car.

(Note: Please let those 2 brain cells you have get to meet sometime)

I spend 4,000 baht / day and all other expenses are already paid .. so lunch & dinner & beer & tips come to around 4,000 ( breakfast is included in my Sheraton room rate.

I spend 5,000 a day and all my other expenses are paid as well.

I have a suite the Peninsula on a three year lease and tip my driver 1,000 a day.

I spend 5,000 a day and all my other expenses are paid as well.

I have a suite the Peninsula on a three year lease and tip my driver 1,000 a day.

Birds in a goldcage.

What a boring live. When was the last time you could hear the bird singing in the morning or you like more to hear the rustle of your money?

ok HONEST, I have never actually counted or been concerned but for the benefit of answering the question I totalled my credit card payments and cash withdrawals for 365 days.. My daily spend is 1895 thb...seems ok for me smile.png I might add. this of course is what I deem as "essentials" my needs and wants may be far different to others. For instance I include imported beef and cheese with I consume daily and for me these two are essential... Of course when I add my total living cost including my mortgauge its 7234thb A DAY!! hahaha

Dont be bloody stupid of course you cant but you dont need to pay for travel and fuel for bike / car.

(Note: Please let those 2 brain cells you have get to meet sometime)

No need to pay for travel or fuel.... do I walk to the language school ?..... who pays the fee's ?

Also not sure where it would fit into my schedule as currently 60+ hr's per week are occupied with my employment.

you should go see the monks times to times. some of you really need help. money has never brought happiness. happiness is when you can do more with less and have lot of free time for yourself. being a slave of the system will not bring you happiness and the first thing is to get rid off of all these stupid things that you don't need or rarely use (Porsche , jet ski, big mansion, your western lady, spoiled children ...)

this is turning into just another pissing contest,

you spend what you can aford to spend, end of story

Finally, some sense on this thread... Everyone's budget, wants, needs and desires are different... No two people will be alike, whether in Thailand or Timbuktu...

you should go see the monks times to times. some of you really need help. money has never brought happiness. happiness is when you can do more with less and have lot of free time for yourself. being a slave of the system will not bring you happiness and the first thing is to get rid off of all these stupid things that you don't need or rarely use (Porsche , jet ski, big mansion, your western lady, spoiled children ...)

Money may not buy happiness, but it makes it easier to be happy.

"Happiness is not getting what you want, it's wanting what you have."

If 2 people together are living here on 219,000 a year (600/day) including house food and transportation.....

You are way way way not a typical foreigner. You are quite simply, imho of course, being way too cheap.

Anywhere between 6-9k a month, v similar to OP up to 300bt per day, roughly as follows:

Billls:

750 Internet

750 electric

30 water

Living expenses:

1-2k Food market

1k+ buffet restaurants

1k+ CJs

(2-3k beer - depending if I'm drinking or not)

1k+ family (gifts etc)

Other (not included):

Rent on townhouse in smallish central town prepaid (25k for 3rd year in advance):

Car loan 10k washed through the wife's business profits

Archived