[Caution] Got 30 Days Instead of 90 Days >'<

Caution: Always check your entry stamp.

I have a 1-yr multiple entry and always get 90 days. Seems like immigration officer made a mistake and gave me 30 days instead, last April 17.

How should I correct it? Can I just go back to the airport and ask them to correct it?

Or if it has to be at an "immigration office," can it be any? Even one of the "satellite" offices? I work near Chamchuri Square in Siam/Samyan. Can I just do it there?

Mistakes are sometimes made, like in your case. You can go to immigration at CW-road and have it corrected. They have a special desk for this.

The satellite offices in BKK only offer 90 day reporting.

• Like 2

To complicate things... The long holiday and I must have my work permit renewed on Thursday.

Last time I renewed my work permit, the officer told me that with my 1-yr multiple, I need at least 60 days left on my entry to renew my 1-yr work permit (I have no idea why) so advised me to exit and entry just once so I could get another 90 days. (No worries about that as I enjoy traveling often).

Is CW open during holidays, etc?

Any idea what time that particular desk closes? Is it worth trying to get off from work at 3pm to get there at 4pm on Wednesday to try and get the correction done that day?

Hoping to renew my Work Permit on Thursday... >.<

Closing time is 16:30, you will be cutting it close.

• Like 1

If the airport isn't a pain to get to, would it be worthwhile for the OP to head back there and try and get them to correct it?

Just curious whether others have done this when given a wrong exit date.

Seems like less hassle than trying to deal with an immigration office after a long holiday - that would surely be a nightmare.

• Like 1

ALWAYS immediately check your stamp whenever you are given your passport. Good for visa too.

And make sure you insert the visa number in your arrival card. It should prompt the officer to find the relevant visa or re-entry permit. Without that you're expecting him/her to search through what may be a lot of stamps and visas to find the correct one.

• Like 2

ALWAYS immediately check your stamp whenever you are given your passport. Good for visa too.

And make sure you insert the visa number in your arrival card. It should prompt the officer to find the relevant visa or re-entry permit. Without that you're expecting him/her to search through what may be a lot of stamps and visas to find the correct one.

This is very important and good advice!

Caution: Always check your entry stamp.

I have a 1-yr multiple entry and always get 90 days. Seems like immigration officer made a mistake and gave me 30 days instead, last April 17.

How should I correct it? Can I just go back to the airport and ask them to correct it?

Or if it has to be at an "immigration office," can it be any? Even one of the "satellite" offices? I work near Chamchuri Square in Siam/Samyan. Can I just do it there?

To complicate things... The long holiday and I must have my work permit renewed on Thursday.

Last time I renewed my work permit, the officer told me that with my 1-yr multiple, I need at least 60 days left on my entry to renew my 1-yr work permit (I have no idea why) so advised me to exit and entry just once so I could get another 90 days. (No worries about that as I enjoy traveling often).

Is CW open during holidays, etc?

I assume you're saying you have a 1 year multiple re-entry permit and you have a work permit which is about to expire/needs renewing next week.

If the same rules apply to re-entry on your work permit visa that apply to 90 day reports with a retirement extension when you re-entered the country will only give you a stamp up to the validity of your current visa.

eg: my extension needed to be renewed by 18th March but my 90 day report needed to be done in February. Normally I would renew my extension first but I mixed the dates up and had to do the report first. Because my extension expired in three weeks I was only given three weeks on my report stamp. I had to report again as soon as I'd renewed my extension. The same applied on my multiple re-entry permit when I re-entered Thailand less than 90 days before my retirement extension expired. I only got a stamp up to that expiry date.

When you are re-entering you are effectively starting a new 90 day report so I would think that if your entitlement to stay in Thailand (your work permit) expires in less than 90 days you will only get a stamp up to that expiry date. Do the work expiry and re-entry dates match?

If the airport isn't a pain to get to, would it be worthwhile for the OP to head back there and try and get them to correct it?

Seems like less hassle than trying to deal with an immigration office after a long holiday - that would surely be a nightmare.

Any answer to this?? :(

• Like 1

@Sumrit:

I'm not sure I get you... I have a 1 yr multiple entry visa, expiring in Sept 2015, issued at a Thai embassy abroad. It is not a 1-yr multiple entry extension of stay. So I don't have any "re-entry permit," and I have to leave the country every 90 days. Despite that 90-day rule, I have never had a problem getting a 1 yr work permit renewal, as long as I have 60-90 days left on my current entry.

Work permit expires end of May, I wanna get it renewed the soonest in case of any contingency and also coz I'll be busy and traveling later this month.

Edited by junkofdavid2

@Sumrit:

I'm not sure I get you... I have a 1 yr multiple entry visa, expiring in Sept 2015, issued at a Thai embassy abroad. It is not a 1-yr multiple entry extension of stay. So I don't have any "re-entry permit," and I have to leave the country every 90 days. Despite that 90-day rule, I have never had a problem getting a 1 yr work permit renewal, as long as I have 60-90 days left on my current entry.

Work permit expires end of May, I wanna get it renewed the soonest in case of any contingency and also coz I'll be busy and traveling later this month.

Sorry If I was confused with what 'visa' you have, but you've now confused me more. What type of one year multiple entry visa do you have?

If you have a one year work permit to work in Thailand surely that entitles you to stay in Thailand anyway (with just ninety day reports). If you want to leave the country at various times you just get a (multiple) re-entry permit from immigration. Why do you need a separate one year multiple entry visa?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

@Sumrit:

Sorry If I was confused with what 'visa' you have, but you've now confused me more. What type of one year multiple entry visa do you have?

If you have a one year work permit to work in Thailand surely that entitles you to stay in Thailand anyway (with just ninety day reports). If you want to leave the country at various times you just get a (multiple) re-entry permit from immigration. Why do you need a separate one year multiple entry visa?

"If you have a one year work permit to work in Thailand surely that entitles you to stay in Thailand anyway" !

NO!

A "work permit" provides no "right of stay "

Only a valid visa or extension of stay allows one to "stay" within the country .

No, a work permit allows you to work in Thailand. Still need to obtain a valid, relevant visa to enter and stay. Showing up on arrival with only a work permit wouldn't get you in on that basis.

And as for needing a separate one year multiple entry visa, for most it is the convenience of this over having to get a (multiple) re-entry permit which makes it more desirable than just having an extension of stay

true. happened to me too once. immediately after passing the Immi-desk, I checked the stamp, saw it was only 30 days, and went back. Officer didn't say a single word, let alone apologise, but changed stamp and handed me back my passport.

Not sure if it was a mistake or if he was just trying to be naughty.....

As regards those arriving on the basis of extension of stay combined with a re-entry permit, my understanding of the advice here is that you're supposed to enter you're current re-entry permit number on your airport card -- not your current extension of stay number or your past visa number.

• Like 1

As regards those arriving on the basis of extension of stay combined with a re-entry permit, my understanding of the advice here is that you're supposed to enter you're current re-entry permit number on your airport card -- not your current extension of stay number or your past visa number.

That is absolutely correct. At immigration you use the re-entry permit number as the 'visa number' on the arrival card

• Like 1

@Sumrit:

What the hell is a "1-yr multiple extension of stay"? And why are you leaving the country every 90 days if you have a 1 year work visa extension? Have you made any 90 reports? Seriously bro you posted some confusing crap.

The confusing crap, is by people like you, who apparently can't be bothered to read and understand the process. Apparently Sumrit could stand to do a little more reading also.

The Op plainly states, he has a one year multiple-entry visa, each entry is for 90 days. He does not have a one year extension of stay, so does not need to do 90 day reports. He also does not have a problem, obtaining a one year work permit, even though he is stamped into the country for those 90 day periods. Work permits, visas, and extensions of stay are not the same thing.

Edited by beechguy

@Sumrit:

What the hell is a "1-yr multiple extension of stay"? And why are you leaving the country every 90 days if you have a 1 year work visa extension? Have you made any 90 reports? Seriously bro you posted some confusing crap.

The confusing crap, is by people like you, who apparently can't be bothered to read and understand the process. Apparently Sumrit could stand to do a little more reading also.

The Op plainly states, he has a one year multiple-entry visa, each entry is for 90 days. He does not have a one year extension of stay, so does not need to do 90 day reports. He also does not have a problem, obtaining a one year work permit, even though he is stamped into the country for those 90 day periods. Work permits, visas, and extensions of stay are not the same thing.

BEECHGUY,

If you look at the OP junkofdavid2 does NOT clearly state he has a one year multiple entry VISA, only that he has 'a 1-yr multiple entry'. In junkofdavid2's second post (post 4) he states he has a work permit. I was responding to those two posts and (wrongly) assumed that, because he had a work permit, in saying he has 'a 1-yr multiple entry' he was re-entering Thailand using a multiple entry re-entry permit to maintain his status quo.

I read those two posts clearly and there is no mention of VISA in either of them.

The OP only made it clear that he was using a 1-yr multiple entry VISA in response to my post and questions.

@Sumrit:

BEECHGUY,

If you look at the OP junkofdavid2 does NOT clearly state he has a one year multiple entry VISA, only that he has 'a 1-yr multiple entry'. In junkofdavid2's second post (post 4) he states he has a work permit. I was responding to those two posts and (wrongly) assumed that, because he had a work permit, in saying he has 'a 1-yr multiple entry' he was re-entering Thailand using a multiple entry re-entry permit to maintain his status quo.

I read those two posts clearly and there is no mention of VISA in either of them.

The OP only made it clear that he was using a 1-yr multiple entry VISA in response to my post and questions.

Post #1. The clue is, he said he always gets a 90 day entry. As to the work permit, it has nothing to do with his stay or visa.

Title of the OP, clue #2, if he had an 'Extension of Permission to Stay", he would have been stamped in for the remainder, not 30 or 90 days.

Edited by beechguy
  • Like 2

UPDATE:

Seems like normally CANNOT fix it at the airport if not on the same day as the mistake, but I was ABLE to fix it at Suvarnabhumi today (There's no particular office as the "starting point" for help... I just stood outside one of the Suva staff doors until I saw people in Immigration uniform then did my sales pitch. tongue.png )

Thanks to the very helpful Immigration staff who took pains and efforts to pass me around from person to person,floor to floor (and back to the original floor), office to office until someone could finally help me.

Finally got brought into one office where they asked me very cordially to wait while they were sorting out stuff (even offered me drinks while waiting tongue.png ), and then finally passing my passport on to an arrival officer on duty who could correct the mistake with signature etc.

It helped a lot to flash a warm smile and struggle with broken Thai each time; seems like it charmed them (mostly nice middle-aged ladies), and they seemed flattered that I could speak some Thai and even gave the usual "puut Thai geng!" ("you speak good thai") even if I speak Thai like a carabao and had a very hard time getting my message across each time... but which I paired with a smile which communicates a thousand good words.

I would go to Chaengwattana if I ever had to do it again; wouldn't do it again at Suva unless desperate... but I was a bit desperate coz I have to renew my work permit tomorrow smile.png

Edited by junkofdavid2
  • Like 2

UPDATE:

Seems like normally CANNOT fix it at the airport if not on the same day as the mistake, but I was ABLE to fix it at Suvarnabhumi today (There's no particular office as the "starting point" for help... I just stood outside one of the Suva staff doors until I saw people in Immigration uniform then did my sales pitch. tongue.png )

Thanks to the very helpful Immigration staff who took pains and efforts to pass me around from person to person,floor to floor (and back to the original floor), office to office until someone could finally help me.

Finally got brought into one office where they asked me very cordially to wait while they were sorting out stuff (even offered me drinks while waiting tongue.png ), and then finally passing my passport on to an arrival officer on duty who could correct the mistake with signature etc.

It helped a lot to flash a warm smile and struggle with broken Thai each time; seems like it charmed them (mostly nice middle-aged ladies), and they seemed flattered that I could speak some Thai and even gave the usual "puut Thai geng!" ("you speak good thai") even if I speak Thai like a carabao and had a very hard time getting my message across each time... but which I paired with a smile which communicates a thousand good words.

I would go to Chaengwattana if I ever had to do it again; wouldn't do it again at Suva unless desperate... but I was a bit desperate coz I have to renew my work permit tomorrow smile.png

Well done - good to hear that it worked in this case for you. Goes to show that some perseverance can pay off.