Will they ignore my 90-day when I leave the country next Thursday 7/5 ?

Hi All,

This is my situation:

- next reporting date is May 5 - a holiday in Thailand this endless long weekend

- my re-entry permit is valid till 30 Sept 2015

- I fly out May 7 - within the 7 day 'grace' period but I dont know if that will upset anyone at Immigration when I turn up at Swampy

From memory, the worst that happens with a late 90-day report is a small fine, but I thought I should check. I admit that I should have done a little more planning around this weekend, but I spent the last week just trying to get everything out of my old apartment and handing it back to the owners : May 5 crept up on me.

Thanks,

MrWW

You can report by post,just copies of passport,or now I believe

on line, never done it that way yet but there have been reports

it can be done, the fine for failure to report is 500 THB per day

regards Worgeordie

OK - tried the online reporting and it told me I had to use IE or piss off - will try again from a net cafe as the only computer I own is a Macbook Pro.

If I can go back to my OP, this is the 'grace' period I refer to (from the immigration.gov.th website):

Procedure and notification
  1. The foreigner makes the notification in person, or
  2. The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or
  3. The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.
  4. The notification must be made within 15 days before or after 7 days the period of 90 days expires.
  5. The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

The 7 days after the report date is only for reporting. Leaving the country is not the same as doing a report so the report must be made before leaving.

Since it is to late to a mail in or online report. all you can do is leave and hope they don't notice you did not do the report before leaving when you your report 90 days after entering the country and charge you the 2000 baht fine.

They do not look for 90 day reports when leaving the country. You can take the report receipt out of your passport and save until you do your next one in case they try to say you did not do it

Note about 90 day reporting online. It will work with about any browser. See the topic about online reporting for info.

If I were in the OP's shoes I'd be seriously inclined to leg it to my local immigration office on Wednesday the 6th and submit my report in person there.

Edited by OJAS

Either:

try your luck on Wednesday May 6th (first opening day after the long weekend) to show up in person.

Take food and water with you, maybe a folding chair whistling.gif

Or:

pay 2000 Baht on the next due date (90 days from your date of reentering the country).

Maybe a chance that they don't even notice (but can not say for sure).

Online, snail mail: all too late.

For the future: get a big wall calendar, mark all holidays, extra holidays, super long weekends ... and your 90 day dates smile.png

Check and update for short notice extra holidays as a present from the government.

You know that you can do it two weeks before the scheduled date?

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thanks for the feedback, all - at this stage, I dont intend coming back to Thailand between now and when my extension of stay expires in September (moving to Cambodia for the forseeable future), and I should have made that clear in the OP : just wanted to see if I might be able to get out of the country without Immigration trying to fine me. It's a small fine, admittedly, even with another 400 baht on top of the 2000 baht they start with but if people were leaving the country after overstaying 10+ years (!) for nothing more than a 20K fine, I thought it was reasonable that they would let me leave without questioning my 90-day status.

regards Worgeordie

Is it not a 2000 Baht fine , with receipt ?

The grace period is only for when you submit the report, not an allowance for if you need to report.

Only potential problem would be when you next do a 90 day report. But if you're not going to be in Thailand on your existing extension again, I would guess it would go unnoticed assuming you once again got an extension and began doing 90 day reports again.

You say leaving the country is not the same as a report? Well I have found that it is. I work abroad and have a marriage visa. I also renewed my visa at a Thai embassy abroad. The 90 days countdown begins when I arrive back. I've never had such problems in the 8 years I've been doing this.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You say leaving the country is not the same as a report? Well I have found that it is. I work abroad and have a marriage visa. I also renewed my visa at a Thai embassy abroad. The 90 days countdown begins when I arrive back. I've never had such problems in the 8 years I've been doing this.

Stop posting nonsense !

If you really have a "marriage visa" which was obtained abroad it is either a single entry "visa" good for one 90 day stay OR the "visa" is one which permits multiple entries non of which can exceed 90 days!

In neither case are 90 day reports required!

• Like 1

Can someone comment on the claim made above, namely that you can renew a visa at a Thai embassy abroad.??????

Surely, this is incorrect?

(I am on an O-A retirement visa, and have never seen on the Embassy website the possibility of merely "renewing" my current visa.)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Can someone comment on the claim made above, namely that you can renew a visa at a Thai embassy abroad.??????

(I am on an O-A retirement visa, and have never seen on the Embassy website the possibility of merely "renewing" my current visa.)

No need for much comment!

"Visas" are NEVER "renewed" !

Many members say "renew a visa" and mean "get a new visa" or "renew an extension" and mean "get a new extension" ie to replace something that is no longer valid or has expired, and the true meaning is usually clear from context and replies are based upon that. A dictionary definition I looked up just now gives "renew" these two different meanings:

1. to increase the life of something old
  2. to replace something old

If you wish to discuss this use of the English language further, please go to an apposite forum, eg https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/alt.usage.english

• Like 2

At no stage did I mention renewing anything. My extension of stay was granted on the understanding that I report to Immigration once every 90 days and submit a form basically confirming my address - that's it - but when I got on a flight to Japan last November and returned to Thailand, that 90-day period started from the day I landed at Swampy, and after I did my report in Feb the next reporting date was May 5 : a normal sequence of events, but at that stage I had never missed a reporting date.

If I flew out on May 5 and returned May 10, I believe my next reporting date would have been somewhere in early July - beyond that, I would have been back at Immigration in December to apply for another extension of stay based on retirement. Instead, it seems that I'll be giving some nice man in Cambodia a little under 300 USD on the expectation that he'll give me a 12-month Business visa - chok dee, right people ? :D

I renewed my marriage visa just over a month before it was due to expire in Muscat, Oman. I exited the country on 24th February and will do my 90 days locally later this month. As I have done many times in the past 8 years.

post-21260-0-22288700-1430584114_thumb.j

Referring to post #9.

You are not on overstay.

Immigration at the airport will not fine you.

Never heard/read that they care about the 90 day report.

True this is what the immigration official told me at the airport they don't even look at the 90 day reporting they're only interested in seeing that you have not overstayed your current visa I personally twice have not checked in at 90 day check in because I was flying out within 2 weeks after that date never been a problem Edited by hereforgood

I renewed my marriage visa just over a month before it was due to expire in Muscat, Oman. I exited the country on 24th February and will do my 90 days locally later this month. As I have done many times in the past 8 years.

Very "confused" post !

A picture of A MULTI-ENTRY "O" VISA!

This visa only allows entries for a maximum period of 90 days !

Therefore 90 day reports are never required

Maybe posting a picture of the 90 day report receipt (stapled inside the passport) will convince me that I am wrong !

Unless you apply and get a 1 year extension of stay from immigration, you do not do "90 days locally". You will have to leave the country after 90 days in Thailand, on or before 24th of May.

You can get a 1 year extension of stay if you qualify, than you would do 90 day reports.

Your use of the phrase "do my 90 days locally later this month" is highly unusual and makes it impossible for the reader to divine what you mean to say with it. Based on the copy of the multiple-entry non-O visa you posted, valid for entry into Thailand for an unlimited number of times until 17 FEB 2016, I am inclined to guess that you will make a new entry into Thailand with this visa and on arrival will receive the usual permission to stay for 90 days, but like I said, this is just a guess on my part.

The OP mentioned "my 90-day" in the topic title and "90-day report" in the opening post, from which it was clear that he means the notification of staying in Thailand longer than 90 days with the form TM.47. Therefore, if my guess regarding your use of "do my 90 days" is correct, your posts in this thread are totally off topic.

• Like 1

Don't tell them--- In the 16 years that I have lived here I have for different reasons gone over the 90 check-in three times, including last February (counting different friends/associates its well into double figures) we have always just removed the paper from the passport----especially if its a night/WE/Holiday flight. They are just checking you out. unless things have changed in 2 months--checking to see If your visa is current, I have never seen them ask about 90 day check.

• Like 1

Don't tell them--- In the 16 years that I have lived here I have for different reasons gone over the 90 check-in three times, including last February (counting different friends/associates its well into double figures) we have always just removed the paper from the passport----especially if its a night/WE/Holiday flight. They are just checking you out. unless things have changed in 2 months--checking to see If your visa is current, I have never seen them ask about 90 day check.

This is not "news" Immigration officers at borders and airports are not involved with or interested in 90 day reports.

There is no Marriage Visa. You have a Non Immigrant O multi entry Visa.

You may have acquired that Visa on the basis of being married, but Thailand does not offer a Marriage Visa.

I acquired the same Non Immigrant O Visa (single entry) to originally Thailand and I wasn't married.

Towards the end of the Visa I got an 12 month extension of stay from Immigration.

One of the differences is that with a Non Immigrant O multi entry Visa you must leave and re-enter Thailand every 90 days.

With an extension of stay you do not have to leave Thailand, just report to Immigration every 90 days.

You also have to get those Visas from a Thai Consulate or Embassy from another Country, so you continual exit Thailand.

An extension of stay is replaced by a new one every year from an Immigration office so you never have to exit Thailand to remain here.

They are two completely different Immigration routes to living in Thailand.

• Like 1

Stop posting nonsense !

If you really have a "marriage visa" which was obtained abroad it is either a single entry "visa" good for one 90 day stay OR the "visa" is one which permits multiple entries non of which can exceed 90 days!

In neither case are 90 day reports required!

Overly pedantic, utterly useless post. You forgot the ruler slap to his knuckles...

"Stop posting nonsense", indeed.

regards Worgeordie

There is no "500 Baht / Day fine" for not reporting the 90 days, (500 a day is for overstay) it is usually 1500 to 2000 baht all in, I paid 1200 for not reporting for 3 years ( I didn't know and no one told me).

I suspect that you are in fact a Macum, and not a Geordie, you can be paid 500 Baht a day just to live in Macumland!