Finding a carpenter? Or someone who can make small things for my condo

bkk7

I was having some trouble finding a "baby gate". My place is 2 stories and the stairs are quite steep and I am worried about my 12 year old small dog falling down the stairs. I haven't been able to find a baby gate at Big C or Lotus so I thought it might be easier to find someone locally that can make one, which might be less expensive, actually.

I also have a bed that is quite high, so while I am at it, if I have a baby gate made, I would like to have a pull out ramp or something under my bed.

I am near BTS Punnawithi, so if this is someone local, I imagine they wouldn't want to travel too far. Does anybody have any contacts for someone who could do this not too expensively? Or does anybody know how I could go about hiring someone for a project like this?

Thanks!

there's a whole section of the city of Bangkok dedicated to the arts and crafts in carpenteering of wood. It's located north of the Banglampoo / Samsen area. You can gogle for it. Also, near the Giant Swing temple, taking a taxi in directin t the MBK, there s a road lined with carpenter's work - doors and bits bits and rails and windows hundreds f shops

Thanks. Appreciate the suggestion on Samsen. However, as these are smaller projects and that's about as far on the other side of the city as it could possibly be, I don't think it would be cost effective. Really looking for something toward this area. It would also be difficult to explain unless a carpenter saw my place and what I need as this isn't as straight forward as a door or a table that I'm capable of giving appropriate measurements for (as I'm not a carpenter)

Thanks though!

If you lived in an apartment building then the maintenance crew would help with exactly this sort of thing - even if they didn't take on the project themselves they would know where to go. But it seems you live in a house. So, here are two options I would suggest:

(1) Look for a nice apartment/condo building in your area and ask the security guard to fetch a maintenance guy. 20 b. to the guard and then 50 b to the maintenance guy and he should be happy to pop by your place and sort you out.

(2) Motosai taxi drivers know the area best. Ask one if there's a freelance carpenter in the vicinity.

Of course, both options require being able to get your point across in Thai.

Edited by The Dancer

They have baby gates on Lazada and dog gates at Shamu Quarterly. I have used both companies and they are ok. If you still want go custom made, try near Port area around Bangkok Uni, near railway line. About 20 different carpentry stores there. Without translation will be a challenge I guess ! I did a rough Google maps pin as follows: 1318 Rim Thang Rotfai Kao Sai Pak Nam, Khwaeng Phra Khanong, Khet Khlong Toei, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10110

http://goo.gl/maps/EYf7t

Wow, is this a first? 3 great, helpful replies on TV without a single troll post!

Thanks to all of you.

Bangkok Uni is not *too far* away so I may check that out. My Thai is ok so I might be able to figure that out. Shamu Quarterly... good call.

Really great idea with the maintenance guy as well!

I think all of these suggestions are enough to get sorted!