Canadian family raising money to get son home after scooter crash in Thailand

webfact

Campbell River family raising money to get son home after scooter crash in Thailand
By Marlisse Silver Sweeney

jh.jpg
Source: Internet

VICTORIA, BC: -- Just four hours after Jason Hoffman arrived in Phuket, Thailand in mid-April, he was involved in a serious scooter accident.

The Campbell River native, who now lives in Calgary, broke his leg and smashed his head in the crash. He later learned one of the three Thai nationals on the other scooter died, with the other two being sent to hospital.

Many of the details of the accident are still unknown to Hoffman and his family, according to older brother Clinton Hoffman. Jason only remembers getting on a scooter, getting into a collision and waking up in hospital, Clinton tells Global News.

Jason spent a few days convalescing in the hospital, where doctors operated on his leg, inserting a steel rod to stabilize his fractured femur. Then, Thai police showed up and transported him to prison.

“I was very concerned, obviously, for his health and safety,” says Clinton. The family contacted The Department of Foreign Affairs, asking them to get involved in the case. Eventually, Jason was released from prison after his friend posted bail, and he is now recovering from his injuries at a hostel.

Jason was told he must pay $100,000 in compensation for the accident, says Clinton, or else he could face prison and not be allowed to leave the country. The demand was made just days after the accident, before a complete investigation had occurred, he says.

Full story: http://globalnews.ca/news/1975760/campbell-river-family-raising-money-to-get-son-home-after-scooter-crash-in-thailand/

-- Global News 2015-05-04

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How does a convicted sex offender make their way into Thailand ? whistling.gif

"Hoffman was also ordered to provide a DNA sample to the national police registry and his name is now on the national sex offender registry." (source http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/news/114741954.html)

Also been convicted of drunk driving in Canada https://justice.gov.bc.ca/cso/criminal/file/charges.do?fileID=1158010.0007

And according to phuketwan his blood alcohol was .195 during this accident. I would say that this is the reason it is Hoffman's fault......

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How does a convicted sex offender make their way into Thailand ? alt=whistling.gif>

"Hoffman was also ordered to provide a DNA sample to the national police registry and his name is now on the national sex offender registry." (source http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/news/114741954.html)

Also been convicted of drunk driving in Canada https://justice.gov.bc.ca/cso/criminal/file/charges.do?fileID=1158010.0007

And according to phuketwan his blood alcohol was .195 during this accident. I would say that this is the reason it is Hoffman's fault......

How did you come by that information ?

Those links don't work , for me anyway

Edited by ExPratt

Driving drunk or not I've had 4 serious accidents here in Pattaya on my scooter. The last one I was going back to hotel (after dinner and a few beers) down a one way street and a drunk thai going wrong way on the same street hit me head on. I suffered a minor concussion and my wife lost vision in one eye and banged up her elbow pretty badly. Regardless I paid the drunk thai guy 2000 baht and got back on the bike and we went to the hospital the next day. In hindsight I could of walked over to soi 9 police box (we were on soi 10) but in the back of my mind the farang is always wrong here.

Got sidetracked there. My point is between the potholes you can't see when it rains and the unpredictable-ability of Thais don't ride the scooters here. I still ride them to get to the gym once a day but after all these accidents I'm 41 with two herniated discs and terrible sciatica down my right leg. I was a successful lawyer at home now after 5 concussions my memory isn't great and your personality permanently changes after too many head injuries.

Be careful all on these scooters. I love driving them but be aware of the consequences driving them, especially drunk.

Phuketwan has more details. Unfortunately, links to the article are not allowed here.

wai2.gif

Just check phuket forum.

But drunk driving, killing someone and injuring others opens oneself up to high cost. Bad lawyer as well maybe?

Edit: sorry, thought it was phuket forum but can't find the info, must have been Phuket wan I read it on.

Edited by stevenl

25,000,000 baht compensation? How much goes to the police? Think there's more to the story than is reported.

. Where did you get that Figure, I saw b100,000
article quotes $100,000. Apologies, that's 2.5 million baht. Edited by jerojero

Whether he's guilty or not, the fact that the Royal Thai Police take somebody to a filthy prison merely days after invasive surgery astounds me, I didn't realise how stupid they really are..... An afterthought, did a doctor approve his release from medical care knowing that the patient was going to be taken into the "care" of a prison system that would obviously put the patient's health at high risk? As for the ransom negotiations, I suppose it's a step up from the jet ski scam.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How does a convicted sex offender make their way into Thailand ? alt=whistling.gif>

https://justice.gov.bc.ca/cso/esearch/esearchHome.do <- public search database of British Columbia Court system.

Screenshot attached of his 2003 convictions for :

Operating a Motor Vehicle while impaired Section 253 (a) Criminal Code of Canada (Guilty)

Driving while Prohibited Section 95(1) Motor Vehicle Act of British Columbia (Guilty)

Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle Section 249 Criminal Code of Canada (Guilty)

If you wish to know about the sexual assault conviction, search "Jason Hoffman Campbell River"

post-65266-0-83968100-1430702391_thumb.j

25,000,000 baht compensation? How much goes to the police? Think there's more to the story than is reported.

. Where did you get that Figure, I saw b100,000

Suggest you read the post again... what you saw was $100,000 not Baht $=dollars

I think many of us have jumped on a scooter whilst having drunk too much. This is another lesson in how stupid it really is! When I first came to Thailand I did it too - now I have stopped having realised how dumb and dangerous it is. He was unlucky.

I think many of us have jumped on a scooter whilst having drunk too much.

Speak for yourself. Those who understand motorcycle safety would never ride after having drunk alcohol.

Interestingly, in 45 years of motorcycling I have never fallen or had an accident after drinking though there have many while sober. Logic suggests that I should have a couple of beers before each ride, but reality tells me that you have to understand your limitations, and there is such a thing as "too much".

Whether he's guilty or not, the fact that the Royal Thai Police take somebody to a filthy prison merely days after invasive surgery astounds me, I didn't realise how stupid they really are..... An afterthought, did a doctor approve his release from medical care knowing that the patient was going to be taken into the "care" of a prison system that would obviously put the patient's health at high risk? As for the ransom negotiations, I suppose it's a step up from the jet ski scam.

Ransom negotiations? He killed someone while drink driving. He's lucky to even have that option.

The funny thing about how they worded the title of this article. At first glance, I thought it was a humanitarian plead for help. Then I read and found it to be a drunk driving offense. Fooled again

I think many of us have jumped on a scooter whilst having drunk too much.

Speak for yourself. Those who understand motorcycle safety would never ride after having drunk alcohol.

well goodie for you - now you can throw the first stone

don't forget the others were 3 on one bike so it's not just this guy was drunk - and what about their test results?

So there was 3 of them on a Motorbike and its the other blokes fault

Why, it is perfectly legal for 3 people to ride on one motorbike/scooter, they are designed for 3 Asians to fit on them.

Yes links do not work.

The funny thing about how they worded the title of this article. At first glance, I thought it was a humanitarian plead for help. Then I read and found it to be a drunk driving offense. Fooled again

Aren't all drunks really just pleading for help? Seems this kid didn't learn his lesson in Canada. Too bad his parents allowed him to come here to Thailand to screw up again.