Thai SIM registration [DTAC]

I have a six-year old DTAC PAYG SIM that I'm very happy with that I use in my cheapo Nokia for calls and texts. Every time I top up the validity of the SIM extends for one year as it has done from day one. I couldn't ask for a better calls and texts SIM so reluctant to let it go.

I purchased a separate SIM for my iPhone, as usual, just for mobile internet and this is now registered. Though, next time I'm here, towards the end of the year, I'll have to purchase a new one as they only offer one month top ups and then the SIM expires. I've no problems with this set up.

Came to LOS on Saturday night for our biannual visit and was keen to register my old PAYG SIM to abide by the rules. Got to DTAC shop this evening to be told that I'll have to relinquish my trusty faithful PAYG SIM and purchase a new one with registration. I merely wanted my existing SIM to be registered. I would have immediately lost the benefit of my one year extensions if I listened to DTAC so didn't even bother handing over the phone and they've no idea what the phone number is or what plan I was on. I can't be doing with all that 2 baht per month extension spiel. It's not the price, just the inconvenience.

Anyway, I declined DTAC's offer and they never mentioned another word about it and they didn't force the issue either. I simply purchased my iPhone internet SIM and all was well.

I'm not going to cry if my PAYG SIM gets cut off, but, my question is, what is the chance that it will be cut off in the coming months without registration? And, are DTAC taking advantage of the situation for their own benefit?

From now on I'll just go to 7-Eleven for top ups.

Edited by wooloomooloo

I have had the same Dtac pre-paid for ten years. I use it with an el-cheapo Nokia like you. Went to the Dtac shop in Terminal 21 and they registered it without a problem. Maybe try a different Dtac shop and see how you go.

As an aside, just noticed that my DTAC iPhone SIM is 4G in name, sort of. A random speed test reveals 7 Mbps down and 9 up.

Not so bad, I suppose, considering 3G barely went beyond 2Mbps down.

Edited by wooloomooloo

Got to DTAC shop this evening to be told that I'll have to relinquish my trusty faithful PAYG SIM and purchase a new one with registration
they've no idea what the phone number is or what plan I was on.

If they have no idea what your number is or what plan you are on, on what basis did they say you'd need to buy a new one? They certainly don't tell that to everyone who walks in to register their phone number.

When I went into the AIS office I just told them my phone number and showed my passport. The person who took the info wouldn't have known if I got the sim card a few months ago or had it for nearly 9 years, which I have, or anything about the plan I'm on. I'm also using a plan that extends my service for a full year each time I add anything to top up and I don't think it's now available to new customers.

A friend had an AIS payg sim for many years, went to register it at AIS office in Central Pattaya store, they replaced the sim/registration at no extra cost. Suspect someone at DTAC either is not aware of changing procedures or is working a flanker

You can extend your prepaid card maximum for one year at the time. Just go to the DTAC shop and pay the amount needed (just a few baht for each month) You can also do it over the phone, just make sure you have enough credit on the card.

I have had the same DTAC sim/phone number for a few years now. I visit Thailand twice a year and during each visit I always go to a 7/11 shop and top up. And the sim/number is always OK for me next visit.

Anyway about 3 weeks ago I bought a Samsung Galaxy s5 here in England. And the phone only takes a Micro sim. So my old DTAC sim wont fit. So the next time I visit Thailand I will have to go to a DTAC shop and ask for a Micro sim and ask the shop to transfer my old DTAC number to my new sim

If they have no idea what your number is or what plan you are on, on what basis did they say you'd need to buy a new one? They certainly don't tell that to everyone who walks in to register their phone number.

When I went into the AIS office I just told them my phone number and showed my passport. The person who took the info wouldn't have known if I got the sim card a few months ago or had it for nearly 9 years, which I have, or anything about the plan I'm on. I'm also using a plan that extends my service for a full year each time I add anything to top up and I don't think it's now available to new customers.

Agreed. Just doesn't sound right. Though, she was a young girl and may not understand the routine. She stated that I'd have to purchase a new SIM in a red package!! I wasn't in the mood for negotiating anyway.

If I give this card up then I obviously won't be able to get the same service on an alternative card. Even my wife wishes she had this card, but she has to extend her service at 2 baht per month which means having to go to DTAC shop before we come back to the UK and extend six top ups to give it enough life before our next visit. Like I say, it's just inconvenient.

I'm going to go to the main store at Central Plaza in the next few days and see if they can sort it out, properly, this time.

Edited by wooloomooloo

I read various threads talking about DTAC and AVIS. I bought mine 10 years ago, and my prepaid SIM card is "Freedom 12call." When I turn on my phone, it shows TH GSM on top. Where should I register my SIM? Any advice, please?

I registered my DTAC number, which I've had for many years, just a few weeks ago. They had no interest in the SIM card. They just took my phone and opened the phone app and typed in a number. A 2nd dtac rep was there with a 2nd phone. Appears the 1st got a number back from the call he made on mine, gave it to the 2nd guy who entered it into his phone and it was done.

I used my Thai drivers license and they photographed it. About 2 minutes total time.

As for where to register, any DTAC for Dtac Sims and AIS office for AIS Sims. Also, 7/11 is supposed to do it (no, that is not a joke). biggrin.png And BigC, Tesco Lotus.

http://tech.thaivisa.com/sim-card-registration-thailand-update/3112/

I read various threads talking about DTAC and AVIS. I bought mine 10 years ago, and my prepaid SIM card is "Freedom 12call." When I turn on my phone, it shows TH GSM on top. Where should I register my SIM? Any advice, please?

AVIS have since diversified in to car rentals but you can try your local Advanced Info Service (AIS) office for registering a One-2-Call SIM smile.png

AVIS have since diversified in to car rentals but you can try your local Advanced Info Service (AIS) office for registering a One-2-Call SIM smile.png

Thanks! I'll try 7-11 first before driving to an AIS office. biggrin.png

Went to Central Plaza in PHS this afternoon and they have a dedicated desk with two girls working flat out registering SIM cards. No sales pitch and handed over my Nokia and she entered a code which brought up the SIM card number [not mobile phone number], then a photo of my passport and that was it. I received an immediate SMS to inform my SIM was registered detailing mobile and passport numbers.

As Tywais' experience, all done in two minutes.

Many thanks for all your comments.

Edited by wooloomooloo

Thanks! I'll try 7-11 first before driving to an AIS office. biggrin.png

7/11 would be more interested if you had a True sim as they are both owned by CP !

I have had the same DTAC sim/phone number for a few years now. I visit Thailand twice a year and during each visit I always go to a 7/11 shop and top up. And the sim/number is always OK for me next visit.

Anyway about 3 weeks ago I bought a Samsung Galaxy s5 here in England. And the phone only takes a Micro sim. So my old DTAC sim wont fit. So the next time I visit Thailand I will have to go to a DTAC shop and ask for a Micro sim and ask the shop to transfer my old DTAC number to my new sim

Bought a new Samsung and had my sim card cut to a micro sim at MBK.

Later I took it to DTAC and they made a new sim to update it to 4G.

Had the same phone number.

They did it right in front of me and took less than 5 mins.

Bought a new Samsung and had my sim card cut to a micro sim at MBK.

Later I took it to DTAC and they made a new sim to update it to 4G.

Had the same phone number.

They did it right in front of me and took less than 5 mins.

Done at Parago shopping center, Bangkok.