Thailand looks to sea transport for its relief cargoes to Nepal

webfact

Thailand looks to sea transport for its relief cargoes to Nepal

5-5-2015-12-48-45-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand is now considering transporting its relief aids to help earthquake stricken people in Nepal by ships after heavy air traffic at Kathmandu airport posed difficulties for its C130 transport plane to land.

Deputy government spokesperson Col Sansern Kaewkamnerd said that Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed the Royal Thai Navy to find the best possible sea route to ship large amount of relief items to Nepal after Kathmandu airport has turned congested with relief flights.

The prime minister suggested sea transport to ship large amount of relief cargo instead and instructed the Navy to find the best route.

Yesterday, two Thailand’s C130 transport planes departed Don Mueang for Kathmandu carrying relief supplies donated by Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn and the Thai government.

The goods were successfully handed to the Thai ambassador to Nepal and the Thai Army’s rescue team would distribute them further to those in need.

Meanwhile the government said its Krungthai bank account 067-0-10330-6 “Thais Giving Their Hearts to Nepal” is still accepting donations to help those affected by the earthquake.

Donations could also be made via all 7-Eleven convenient stores nationwide.

So far the donations have amounted to about 111 million baht.

The Foreign Ministry’s spokesperson Sek Wannamethee told the press that World Health Organization (WHO) has extended its appreciation to the Thai government and the Thai people for their ongoing efforts to provide support for the quake victims in Nepal.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thailand-looks-to-sea-transport-for-its-relief-cargoes-to-nepal

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-05

"The prime minister suggested sea transport to ship large amount of relief cargo instead and instructed the Navy to find the best route."

I don't envy the navy officer tasked to submit the best sea route to Nepal to the PM.

Imaginative! Just the type of free thinker we really need in this country.

So, airport congestion. Find other ways. Many roads damaged and unusable by motorised traffic. Use horses and donkeys (don't forget a bit of fodder for them). Ship goods to Chittagoon Port, move it to smaller ships which can navigate the Ganges up to maybe Patna or Benares? Load on trucks to get a bit closer to Nepal and rely on the horses and donkeys for the remainder.

Easy, minor logistics problem. goods should arrive this decennium.

You just can't make this stuff up...

You just did

The need for emergency medical and search & rescue supplies where time is of the essence is pretty well over.Now the need is for rebuilding supplies wherein the extra few days for a sea & land route won't make much difference.

Edited by JLCrab

I havemixed feelings about this. Sure, some Thai medical teams were on the ground pretty quickly and provided much needed assistance.

However, irrespective of the logistics or sea transport, why oh why does everything in this country have to wait until the General 'orders' or 'suggests' it?.

I'm perfectly sure the Thai military have been considering all options for the pst few days. But, of course, if this initiative gets off the ground it will be only because the leader insisted.

I read a news report yesterday (I think) that around 2000 new 'generals' had met the King for his endorsement.

Do these guys not take initiatives?.

maybe they could use their submarines

TOP SECRET

"Due to the farsighted officials of this government we have been busy creating an underground tunnel system that would enable our :High Speed Trains to deliver this aid direct to Base Camp 1. From there our Army of volunteers who have been training to become Sherpas will Take over from the Gurkhas & carry the vast amount of aid we are providing down to Kathmandu. Please do not be concerned about the safe arrival of this Aid. It will never arrive" - Anonymous spokesperson - (Gender Equality).

In a more serious note. I believe that this aid if sent overland via Bangladesh and India will be pilfered en route. Decades ago I came across M&S shirts, Moss Bros., suits etc on sale in Calcutta. Imported clothing unavailable in India then. This was shortly after aid carrying trains were despatched from Bombay to Dacca,(East Pakistan in those days).

And then a 4 - 5 day trek, without ground transportation, over dangerous territory ? Hell, the Thai military can't swiftly deliver

emergency supplies WITHIN Thailand ! Just give the stuff to the US who has choppers and VTOL, ( vertical takeoff//landing) planes that can take heavy loads and don't need runways 1

Fme with a capital F, perishable, emergency disaster relief sent by sea and transnational road to the Himalayas.

It beggars belief.

Helicopters anyone ??

Edited by philw

Well I hope those in the PM's office and the Royal Thai Navy have learned their lesson and next time they choose to make an announcement, such as moving large amounts of relief supplies to help rebuild Nepal, they will clear it with the Thai Visa hoi polloi beforehand.

Edited by JLCrab