Getting new passport abroad, any problems re-entering Thailand?

Hi

I will get a new passport made next time I go abroad (no embassy from my country here).

I have my non-immigrant visa with several one year extensions in the old passport.

I'm wondering if there should be any problems with immigration at the airport when re-entering Thailand on the new passport if I bring both new and old back with is that sufficient for them to let me re-enter on the same non-immigrant visa?

If the "Visa" / Extension in an old passport is Valid they will allow entry if you have a re-entry permit.

A load of old out of date visas + extensions in an old passport will not permit entry

Edited by nzexpat
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thank you, yes the visa extension is indeed still valid, sorry that wasn't clear.
Thanks again, then I can stop worrying about that!

You can stop worrying ONLY if you have a re-entry permit

• Like 1

Your Thai stamps are in order.

You should have both with you upon arrival.

My question is ... when they stamp you back into Thailand .. which passport will you want the stamp in?

Hmmmm...

I had same problem as old passport was only 3 years old but full. Immigration guy at desk had to refer to his boss but no problem on entering, just asked me to go to local immigration office to have visas transfered to new passport.

I had same problem as old passport was only 3 years old but full. Immigration guy at desk had to refer to his boss but no problem on entering, just asked me to go to local immigration office to have visas transfered to new passport.

Immigration does not transfer visas. If you have a valid visa you have to use both passports until it expires.

Immigration will do a stamp with info about the visa you used for entry. They will then transfer the your extension of stay stamp and a re-entry permit if you have one.

My question is ... when they stamp you back into Thailand .. which passport will you want the stamp in?

Hmmmm...

Not so much a question of which passport the OP wants the stamp in, but rather which passport the IO at BKK (or wherever) wants the stamp in.

Which will be the new one since the old one will presumably have already been cancelled.

Immigration does not transfer visas. If you have a valid visa you have to use both passports until it expires.

Immigration will do a stamp with info about the visa you used for entry. They will then transfer the your extension of stay stamp and a re-entry permit if you have one.

Joe, could you confirm what the current position is with transferring 'extensions' to a new passport.

I thought the practice of transferring had ceased and you now had to apply for a new extension in the case of getting a new passport.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663684-new-rules-for-extensions-of-stay-with-expiring-passport/

Immigration makes the following annoucement:

Announcement

According to the New Regulation from August 13, 2013,

when submitting application for Visa Extension if the validity of passport of the applicant is not longer than one year left before expiry,

the extension of stay will be permitted not exceeding the expired date of passport.

After the renewal of your passport of obtaining a new passport,

you have to re-apply for Visa Extension by submitting required document and paying extension fee ( 1,900 Baht ).

In case of overstay, the fine is 500 Baht per day.

Source: http://bangkok.immig....th/intro1.html

In the past when your passport expired, you would get a permission to stay until the expiry date of your passport. When you had a new passport you returned to immigration to transfer the details to the new passport and get the remainder of the extension of stay placed in your new passport for free.

The new policy means that now when you get a new passport because the old one has expired you have to apply for a new extension of stay, with all the accompanying paperwork and of course pay the usual extension fee of 1,900 baht.

This will mean more paperwork and a better preperation for people who's passport is about to expire

Joe, could you confirm what the current position is with transferring 'extensions' to a new passport.

I thought the practice of transferring had ceased and you now had to apply for a new extension in the case of getting a new passport.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663684-new-rules-for-extensions-of-stay-with-expiring-passport/

A lot of people got confused from the way that topic was written and was clarified in later posts. It has also been discussed in dozens of topics since then.

Immigration still transfers the extension stamps.

The only time you need to get a new extension is if you apply for an extension with less than a year remaining on your passport because the extension will only be issued to the date the passport expires. When you get the new passport immigration will transfer the stamps to the new one and then you have to apply for a new extension when the shortened one ends.

• Like 1

Correct. The IO will stamp entry into Thailand in the new passport. The OP must enter the new passport details in the landing card.

Is there a need for the OP to get a supporting letter declaring the new passport is a legitimate replacement? I know that some Immigration offices require that for passports that are renewed while the passport holder is in Thailand. Some Immigration offices in Thailand want to see that letter before they will transfer any pre-existing and valid EXTENSIONS from the old passport to the new passport.

Hi Joe

It was a UK passport. When you are issued a new passport the previous one is

effectively cancelled. So entry stamp in new passport and visit to Jontiem to have existing valid Thai multi entry and retirement visas transfered to new passport.

Hi Joe

It was a UK passport. When you are issued a new passport the previous one is

effectively cancelled. So entry stamp in new passport and visit to Jontiem to have existing valid Thai multi entry and retirement visas transfered to new passport.

I suspect you do not have a valid visa from an embassy or consulate. You have an extension of stay based upon retirement and a multiple re-entry permit that you applied for at an immigration office.

A lot of people got confused from the way that topic was written and was clarified in later posts. It has also been discussed in dozens of topics since then.

The only time you need to get a new extension is if you apply for an extension with less than a year remaining on your passport because the extension will only be issued to the date the passport expires. When you get the new passport immigration will transfer the stamps to the new one and then you have to apply for a new extension when the shortened one ends.

I have dual nationality so my question is...................... if I have a non-o extension in my Irish passport with re-entry permit but I return using my British passport, can I have the stamps moved over to my Uk passport from the Irish one?

I have dual nationality so my question is...................... if I have a non-o extension in my Irish passport with re-entry permit but I return using my British passport, can I have the stamps moved over to my Uk passport from the Irish one?

When you get your new Passport, the old one will be annulled, by either clipping a corner
or punch a hole in your old Passport.

Make sure, your Embassy doesn't punch holes on any pages where you still have any
valid visas from any country on them. As long those pages have not been clipped or
punched holes in them, those pages are still valid in conjunction with your new Passport.

I got 20 years old Passport where I still have two pages with a valid visa for the USA and

permanent residence permit for the UK on it and together with my new Passport, (the 3rd
since then) they are still valid.

(It's not possible to have to valid Passports from the same country at the same time.)

Good luck

You can not have two valid Passports from the same nationality at the same time.

It's just not possible.

You can not have two valid Passports from the same nationality at the same time.

It's just not possible.

US citizens can legally possess two passports. Yes, you can have the normal 10-year passport plus a second, limited validity passport, normally valid for 1 or 2 years. Commonly referred to as "Duplicate Passports",second passports offer the ability to travel internationally while processing a visa in the US or to visit countries who do not allow entry to passport holders with stamps from enemy countries.

Although often called Duplicate US Passports, a second passport is not a duplicate passport. The second passport will have its own dates of issue and expiration and their own passport numbers. This is a critical difference between a second passport and a duplicate. In order to get a second passport, the applicant must prove that they are in possession of their standard 10-year passport and that they truly need the second passport. The US State Department prefers to limit the number of duplicate passports, so your reasons must be honest and valid - otherwise the second passport may not be issued.

• Like 1

It's just not possible.

Yes, it is possible. Some countries allow it under certain circumstances. For example, the US: http://chrisguillebeau.com/how-to-get-a-duplicate-us-passport/

It's just not possible.

US citizens can legally possess two passports. Yes, you can have the normal 10-year passport plus a second, limited validity passport, normally valid for 1 or 2 years. Commonly referred to as "Duplicate Passports",second passports offer the ability to travel internationally while processing a visa in the US or to visit countries who do not allow entry to passport holders with stamps from enemy countries.

Although often called Duplicate US Passports, a second passport is not a duplicate passport. The second passport will have its own dates of issue and expiration and their own passport numbers. This is a critical difference between a second passport and a duplicate. In order to get a second passport, the applicant must prove that they are in possession of their standard 10-year passport and that they truly need the second passport. The US State Department prefers to limit the number of duplicate passports, so your reasons must be honest and valid - otherwise the second passport may not be issued.

By having a second passport, a traveler can travel outside of the US while leaving the second passport in the US for visa processing. smile.png

There are some exceptions but they are not the norm.

DO NOT get caught with them both outside of your country as it will cause major problems.