It's getting Hot in Here :)

mania

Yesterday I saw 43c

Today I'm seeing 39-40 smile.png

On the good side this year I am not much bothered by it...Maybe after a few years I

am finally getting more acclimated wink.png Does not mean I enjoy it though biggrin.png

post-82547-0-78040900-1430896559_thumb.j

But at least it's dry heat which I think is much more bearable. Here in Pattaya the humidity is unpleasant and every afternoon we are getting the most spectacular black thunderstorm clouds and you can hear the thunder but every day goes by without a drop of rain.

I can remember the meteorologists warning that this year the rainfall in Thailand would be well below average.

Where I'm from at 26 degrees it would be bikinis and bbqs, and feigning illness for a day off work.

lets not haggle over a few degrees in the upper 30's........thats like eating steak in front of a beggar.

All this hot weather feels good on these old bones. It's one of the nice things we can count on living in Thailand.

How old do the bones have to get for it to start feeling good? I'm dying here, boss.

All this hot weather feels good on these old bones. It's one of the nice things we can count on living in Thailand.

How old do the bones have to get for it to start feeling good? I'm dying here, boss.

Like I said previously, wet/damp hand towels placed in freezer for half an hour to hour. Remove from freezer and place on head/neck or both.

An affordable luxury.

It's not the age nor is it the temperature. It's the attitude. We're in Thailand and it's gonna be hot. We may as well choose to enjoy it. Being happy about it feels a whole lot better than being miserable about it. Neither will change the climate, but the former makes you smile more than the latter.

Asiantravel: "But at least it's dry heat which I think is much more bearable."

It's 10:30pm in Chiang Mai right now and 30 degrees with the relative humidity at 65 percent.

So 65 percent is "dry" heat?

Why are you posting about weather in Chiang Mai when you are in Pattaya and don't know what the weather is like up here? Weird.

It's not the age nor is it the temperature. It's the attitude. We're in Thailand and it's gonna be hot. We may as well choose to enjoy it. Being happy about it feels a whole lot better than being miserable about it. Neither will change the climate, but the former makes you smile more than the latter.

I truly envy your ability to choose to enjoy it. I can't. I find a/c feels a whole lot better than being miserable about it.

I really don't understand this thread at all. It is hot. But it is always hot in May. This is why we call it the HOT season. This HEAT is predictable, expectable, and typical - it is as usual.

I like the advice about chilled towels. It suggests how to deal with it.

I conclude that the above is simply what we in the States call - VENTING.biggrin.png

I truly envy your ability to choose to enjoy it. I can't. I find a/c feels a whole lot better than being miserable about it.

That works too! :)

So do the chilled mini-towels sold by 7-Eleven, swimming pools, and really big hats with a vented crown. Personally, I find the vented hat to be one of the most important ways to keep comfortable. Ball caps just don't seem to offer as much.

What ever gets us through the day comfortably is all that matters!

Hear, hear!

This is the only time of year that I really dislike in Thailand. Thank heavens for air-con and the excellent hot season fruits. .

re

im with him ... im 66 and love the heat :)

a pic of doi suthep taken ten minits ago and the forcast for the next few days

in chiang mai

dave2

post-42592-0-35609100-1430965466_thumb.j

post-42592-0-65917000-1430965531_thumb.p

It's about 36 degrees. The 43 would be your car sensor on a hot piece of road somewhere.

Yes I am sure that truck sensors are not accurate to a degree but....

I have found this to be pretty indicative & consistent.

Meaning if I see it is 37+ it is pretty hot today

Also I have always been curious a bit about where the sensor is taking its reading from.

Because like this time shown it was traveling at a good pace down Mahidol

I initially would have guessed most sensors may also be wind cooled/affected but not this one as I see it rise

(correctly I think) on such stretches & I know from riding bikes that road is hot due to the concrete soaking heat all day.

I also note even though my truck is black...if left parked in a hot area when I come back the sensor is not reading higher

like I would have guessed so seems pretty consistent...but yes not accurate to the degree

I really don't understand this thread at all. It is hot. But it is always hot in May. This is why we call it the HOT season. This HEAT is predictable, expectable, and typical - it is as usual.

I like the advice about chilled towels. It suggests how to deal with it.

I conclude that the above is simply what we in the States call - VENTING.biggrin.png

Nothing to understand wink.png

It is not venting it is just chatting ....you know...shooting the breeze wink.png

No different than talking with pals & saying pretty hot today eh?

Like I said in my post I am acclimated fine now & no longer get soaked like years past when out for lunch around 12-1 mid day on bike.

Yes it is usual to be hot this time of year...I have no problems dealing with it & do not need cold towels wink.png

Just chatting..........TV is not such a good place for that anymore? wink.png

really big hats with a vented crown. Personally,

I find the vented hat to be one of the most important ways to keep comfortable. Ball caps just don't seem to offer as much.

I sure have realized this to be true over the last few years.

I use to use a Bball cap & finally figured out it was hotter or holding in the heat anyway

Yes. Hang a photo like this one where you can see it each day. The sun and heat will feel much better.

I've reached the point where, if the temp drops below 30, I feel chilly.

a_woman_carries_a_shovel_through_a_parki

I find the vented hat to be one of the most important ways to keep comfortable. Ball caps just don't seem to offer as much.

I use to use a Bball cap & finally figured out it was hotter or holding in the heat anyway

not if it is pure cotton or tropical wool.

It was with good reason that the old cowboy hats had a high crown ('10-gallon hats.') Perhaps the same reason the older Thai houses have such high ceilings? That space to allow heat from the top of the head to dissipate, especially if there is good ventilation so it can escape, is as important as the protection from the heat of the sun. The hat I wear has a thin layer of foam insulation on the top surface, and complete ventilation all around the circumference below that. Combined with a wide brim, I don't mind walking around all day in the sun. It's nice to be outdoors in such fine weather.

Archived