It's getting Hot in Here :)

mania

really big hats with a vented crown. Personally,

I find the vented hat to be one of the most important ways to keep comfortable. Ball caps just don't seem to offer as much.

I sure have realized this to be true over the last few years.

I use to use a Bball cap & finally figured out it was hotter or holding in the heat anyway

It was with good reason that the old cowboy hats had a high crown ('10-gallon hats.') Perhaps the same reason the older Thai houses have such high ceilings? That space to allow heat from the top of the head to dissipate, especially if there is good ventilation so it can escape, is as important as the protection from the heat of the sun. The hat I wear has a thin layer of foam insulation on the top surface, and complete ventilation all around the circumference below that. Combined with a wide brim, I don't mind walking around all day in the sun. It's nice to be outdoors in such fine weather.

Where did you get that hat?

really big hats with a vented crown. Personally,

I find the vented hat to be one of the most important ways to keep comfortable. Ball caps just don't seem to offer as much.

I sure have realized this to be true over the last few years.

I use to use a Bball cap & finally figured out it was hotter or holding in the heat anyway

It was with good reason that the old cowboy hats had a high crown ('10-gallon hats.') Perhaps the same reason the older Thai houses have such high ceilings? That space to allow heat from the top of the head to dissipate, especially if there is good ventilation so it can escape, is as important as the protection from the heat of the sun. The hat I wear has a thin layer of foam insulation on the top surface, and complete ventilation all around the circumference below that. Combined with a wide brim, I don't mind walking around all day in the sun. It's nice to be outdoors in such fine weather.

Same place as his tie LOL

Seriously though, FolkGuitar is absolutely correct about attitude being the problem.

What you resist will persist.

Once you accept the heat rather than fighting it, it feels less hot!

It's a brain chemical thing.

As long as your body produces the right brain chems, it really doesn't matter what the temp/humidity is (within reason, of course you would die in an oven!).

The suggestion by Suradit69 is also very good as it helps to refocus your attention away from TOO HOT!!!

Don't knock it till you've tried it but;

You have to believe in the acceptance with no doubts at all.

This is the hard part for those not practised in doing it.

Best of luch Yall, Like "thrilled #6", we go north to cooler climates next Wednesday and stay there for 6 months or so.

The other benefit of this move it that the evenings will still be light at up to 9 - 10 p.m.!

In my homecountry almost everybody is complaining the whole year about the weather. Its to cold, its to hot, its to windy, its to rainy.

Same is happening here.

I think good weather only exist when you are on a 14 days holliday.

So keep on complaining. Its a way of life.

Seriously though, FolkGuitar is absolutely correct about attitude being the problem.

.... we go north to cooler climates next Wednesday and stay there for 6 months or so.

Thanks for the advice. Have a nice exodus.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I I live in Thailand 6 months out of the year.The hot months I have to go.

I'm off to Europe for 6 months, i'll see you there.

I don't have a problem with the heat, I have air conditioning.

Yeah, I have a hard time feeling sorry for those who complain about the heat--just turn on the a/c, go to an a/c bar, or go to the mall and walk around or watch the girls. No problem.

Bought it on line. http://www.tilley.com/canada_en/men/hats/ I've had it for 15 years, and it still looks as new as the day I received it, despite going through the washing machine at least once a week. It's guaranteed for life not to wear out and insured against loss for 2 years

What you resist will persist.

Once you accept the heat rather than fighting it, it feels less hot! It's a brain chemical thing.

As long as your body produces the right brain chems, it really doesn't matter what the temp/humidity is (within reason, of course you would die in an oven!).

The suggestion by Suradit69 is also very good as it helps to refocus your attention away from TOO HOT!!!

I try to keep away from people who constantly need to announce the weather. I don't need to be told "it's so damn hot" every 20 minutes. I have a thermometer. I know that it's hot. But I'd rather focus my attention on the positive aspects of this weather rather than constantly reminding myself how hot it is. I've got a cold glass of ice tea in my hand and my fingers are almost numb from the chill. I've got the season's first mangosteens on the table for dessert tonight. There are a plethora of wonderful things happening right now that consume my attention, far more enjoyable than wallowing in misery over the temperature. I prefer to revel in the feel of the breezes that cool me, in the blue skies with big white thunderclouds over me...

This is the hard part for those not practiced in doing it.

Unfortunately, this is true. It's NOT easy. It DOES take mental discipline. It even takes practice! But it works. You can be comfortable in any weather.

In the US, I come from the mountains of Northern New England. 8-9 months of winter, three months when the temps never rise above Zero F, with two that always seemed to be around -20F. Flatlanders used to come up to go skiing, but often never ventured out of the Lodge because they were too cold. But you rarely heard the locals complaining about the weather, blizzards and all.

You don't get acclimated to it. You simply learn to accept it and pay attention to the beauty of it.

Asiantravel: "But at least it's dry heat which I think is much more bearable."

It's 10:30pm in Chiang Mai right now and 30 degrees with the relative humidity at 65 percent.

So 65 percent is "dry" heat?

Why are you posting about weather in Chiang Mai when you are in Pattaya and don't know what the weather is like up here? Weird.

Yes it is. At this level sweat will still evaporate quite readily. Once the humidity reaches about 90% the air is too damp for sweat to evaporate effectively and the body's natural cooling mechanism becomes impaired,making it feel very uncomfortable.

I spent a year in the gulf near Dubai and although the temperatures were higher it did not feel so warm because of the lower humidity. The humidity did rise from time to time and if it approached the 100% mark we had to stop work and return to the accommodation to avoid the risk of heatstroke.

I just moved to Chiang Mai from Penang and find the heat here much more bearable. In Penang we had in the hot season often about 35 Celsius and humidity around 80-90%, that completely wears you out.

Well, it's all well and good for those with more than two-thousand baht to spend on a fancy hat made out of nylamtium hand-woven by sequestered Canadian virgins ... but ...

For heat protection, rain-protection, and ambient radio-electric energy amplification, there's nothing beats a tin-foil hat/helmet (of course, using aluminum-foil is fine, too). And, of course, the cost is trivial ... I mean all you need is a simple bamboo frame, and some foil. You change the foil anytime you need to, make holes in it where you need holes. Why absorb the sun light when you can reflect it ?

Oh, I forgot to mention the potential benefits of blinding motorists or motorcyclists with reflected rays causing them to exterminate others rather than your good self.

This study at the world-famous Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 2005 found remarkable benefits from using tin-foil hats:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100708230258/http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/

Wearing your foil-hat you can take pride that you participate in an enduring cultural tradition celebrated in literature and the arts:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-brief-cultural-history-of-the-tin-foil-hat

~o:37;

Well, it's all well and good for those with more than two-thousand baht to spend on a fancy hat made out of nylamtium hand-woven by sequestered Canadian virgins ... but ...

For heat protection, rain-protection, and ambient radio-electric energy amplification, there's nothing beats a tin-foil hat/helmet (of course, using aluminum-foil is fine, too). And, of course, the cost is trivial ... I mean all you need is a simple bamboo frame, and some foil. You change the foil anytime you need to, make holes in it where you need holes. Why absorb the sun light when you can reflect it ?

Oh, I forgot to mention the potential benefits of blinding motorists or motorcyclists with reflected rays causing them to exterminate others rather than your good self.

This study at the world-famous Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 2005 found remarkable benefits from using tin-foil hats:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100708230258/http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/

Wearing your foil-hat you can take pride that you participate in an enduring cultural tradition celebrated in literature and the arts:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-brief-cultural-history-of-the-tin-foil-hat

~o:37;

... to say nothing of the fact that as a side benefit, it keeps "them" from listening in to our thoughts.

Espérons que le temps reste bonne jusqu'à la fin de Août. Anniversaire Koh Samui au Beach Republic. Ne peut pas attendre

. Troll grande ...

If you also do not understand humor quickly put a ridiculous cap ...

Like I said previously, wet/damp hand towels placed in freezer for half an hour to hour. Remove from freezer and place on head/neck or both.

An affordable luxury.

This is always nice when it's getting unbearable. Another thing very, very good on a hot day is a fistful of frozen seedless grapes. Always available Tesco Lotus and on the markets if you can get your meaning across, from US/Aus. Seeded grapes are cheaper and not so good when frozen (or maybe that's just me). Expect to pay 130 -200 baht/kilo depending on variety and competition. When on special at Tesco, buy a couple of kilo's, wash and freeze.

And yet look around you in traffic and see the Thai people on motorbikes wearing jackets and full coverage helmets. (Flip flops for footwear!) Similar to the dress of Indians in the American Southwest, who will be seen wearing substantial coats and jackets in the paralyzing heat. We're all wired differently.

Soon the rains will come...

And yet look around you in traffic and see the Thai people on motorbikes wearing jackets and full coverage helmets. (Flip flops for footwear!) Similar to the dress of Indians in the American Southwest, who will be seen wearing substantial coats and jackets in the paralyzing heat. We're all wired differently.

Soon the rains will come...

Actually years ago when I arrived I thought they were crazy...wearing parker jackets in the heat

Then I realized on a bike/scooter it is cooler to wear a light jacket

I guess it is the same principle as being in the shade etc

Of course the stoplights are warmer but everywhere else on ride your actually cooler/shaded

Archived