Where to buy black Trash Bags?

beb

In my neighborhood, we're required to put our garbage in approved, black trash bags. I used to buy them at the local shops in the area. Today I went in and the lady told me that these shops don't sell them anymore and must be found at other places. Does anybody know where they are sold now?

edit: Just to clarify, the bags I am looking for are printed on to show they are the correct bags. We have to have the printed bags or they will not pick up.

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I wasn't able to find anything in a search.

Thanks!

Edited by beb

The big shops (Big C Lotus etc) have them but way too thin

I get mine from the day market - the shop next to Chiang mai Plastic with the wide frontage. Actually sandwiched between CM Plastic 2 entrances. Much more heavy duty.

Thanks for the replies.

In another country I was in, the bags were specific to neighborhoods. Is that the case here or can I buy anywhere to use in my area?

Thanks again.

Go to Makro on the Super Hwy. Go in the entrance and straight ahead on that Aisle on the left hand side almost to the end and there you will find the black plastic in many sizes the big garbage size is a 12 pak for about 89 Baht. .... unprinted..... printing is extra dependent on what you want printed on them.....printing photos of garbage is double extra

ummmmmmm.... not necessarily altogether true.

In our area, we must get our black garbage bags from the head man and only him. The bags are stenciled with a while mark to id the neighbourhood.

To find out if that is the case in your area, talk to the head man (or go look at the bags out out for the garbage truck).

Thanks for the replies.

In another country I was in, the bags were specific to neighborhoods. Is that the case here or can I buy anywhere to use in my area?

Thanks again.

This is Thailand, nothing is specific biggrin.png

Something sounds out of wack with that program. Does that mean that only govt. approved garbage/trash gets picked up. If you don't have the right bag the garbage stays un-picked up???

Sounds like a little local money for me scheme somehow.

I thought the job was to keep the area clean and sanitary not sell or promote garbage bags. This program needs more explaining.

Makro has the strongest ones I've found.....important as I carry them out and don't want them breaking all over me after baking the contents for a week in the heat....

You could try putting less than a weeks worth in one bag. biggrin.png

Something sounds out of wack with that program. Does that mean that only govt. approved garbage/trash gets picked up. If you don't have the right bag the garbage stays un-picked up???

I thought the job was to keep the area clean and sanitary not sell or promote garbage bags. This program needs more explaining.

Not an uncommon program in out of town villages. Selling the bags pays for the pick up, only properly marked/labled bags are picked up. Good way to have people pay for the trash they produce.

Not an uncommon program in out of town villages. Selling the bags pays for the pick up, only properly marked/labled bags are picked up. Good way to have people pay for the trash they produce.

Seems quite a reasonable scheme really, and an easy way to make sure those availing themselves of the service have actually contributed to it.

IMO the trash bags sold at the plastic shops (Thai markets - and not ones that sell food) sell the strongest trash bags. They come in 28X38, 30X40, 32X42, etc.; actually several sizes. 30X40 is the standard size trash can. You get about 12 for 59 Baht. They all come from the same company. I've tried them all, (Tesco are the worst, followed by Big C). Makro are better but not as good as the ones sold in the plastic shops. We have never had one break - ever. The ones at Tesco will only withstand a few kg. before the trash comes through the bottom.

Gonzo:

You pay for the bags, much like the "tag" system used in many North American and European communities. The bags are the only payment you make - otherwise, trash collection is free.

We live in a rural area and all of the com,munoities around here use this system. Does that explain "the program" for you?

I've lived in other countries with this system. It is actually a pretty simple way to have users contribute to the pickup service costs.

Yeah, I picked up some from Tesco today and they are not stamped. I need to get a Thai friend to find out for me where to get them. The truck won't pick them up unless they are stamped.

Yep. That is how it worked in my previous moo bahn. In this case, the local mom & pop shop had them. Believe it was 9 Baht but no garbage collection fee. You would have to use a lot of them to exceed the collection fee.

Always bought them from the Moo Baan shop, in our case 5B.

Gonzo, you could cheat the system, but everyone would know the rubbish you left out in the street not being picked up was yours, and life is just therefore easier spending that 30B/month.

If the moo baan shop stopped selling, I'd ask the neighbours, not Thai Visa who doesn't live in your moo baan.

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks again.

They had this system when we lived in New Zealand; each year in early January we got 54 bags, 1 extra for Christmas and Easter week (this was before the days of recycling) although you could put as many out as you liked. Once your annual supply was used up, you had to buy extra bags from the council offices. Each local council would only take the colour/printing from their own areas - ours were sky blue with big yellow writing.

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks again.

The bags are not even rat proof nor dog proof.

Heavy duty 'wheelie bins' would be the answer, as they keep out dogs and rats, but they'd soon find other uses for them here I'm afraid.

post-111567-0-11393700-1431248535_thumb.

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks again.

Heavy duty 'wheelie bins' would be the answer, as they keep out dogs and rats, but they'd soon find other uses for them here I'm afraid.

Yes the old wheelie bins are great but only in countries where a truck comes along and the driver sends out the arms,from his drivers seat, which picks it up and empties it in the truck ie a one man operation. Imagine in Thailand upending yourself to pick out one plastic bag of shrimp leftovers,the smell,in the heat, would render you unconscious.

Most neighbourhoods in Australia now have 3 different coloured wheelie bins which have to go out on specific nights to get picked up.Put out the wrong coloured bin and its ignored. My wife was totally fascinated by this.One bin for general waste,one for glass and aluminium ,one for paper and cardboard all of which gets re cycled.

Not sure Thailand is ready for this.I believe Belgium has the best re cycling operation in the world something like 90 % is re cycled.

• 9 months later...

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks again.

Thats what we have .I put the black plasic bags when full into the wheely bin .Its totally dog ,cat and rat proof .When the trash lorry comes once a week ,they take the individual bags out to the compressor at the back of their truck .I have the wheely bin chained to my garden fence for security .

I didn't notice the recent replies but as people above mentioned, I ended up finally finding the local government office that sells the specific bags for my neighborhood. Bags that don't have the correct markings won't be picked up. It's a pain but glad to get it figured out.

thanks

Supermarkets don't sell them, local shops in your vicinity do. That is black bags with a white logo printed on them, you place them on he road and they get collected twice a week. They come only in one size.

Had the same problem, shop did not understand what I want and sent me to 7/11. Can't get it there. Try a local market. Around 6B/piece.

Edited by MadMac

In my neighborhood they pulled them from all the local shops. That's why I posted the question because I couldn't understand the locals' directions to the government location. I don't know why they made the change but it's a big pain to have to make a special trip, and to have to fill out your personal info, to pick up garbage bags.