Bill to legalize marijuana clears Texas House panel

webfact

Bill to legalize pot clears Texas House panel
Ryan McCrimmon, The Texas Tribune

AUSTIN — A proposal to legalize marijuana in Texas will head to the calendars committee and possibly the House floor after it was approved by a House committee Wednesday evening.

House Bill 2165 by state Rep. David Simpson (R-Longview) would allow possession and delivery of marijuana beginning in September, 2015. It would still be illegal to sell the drug to minors. The measure passed the House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee on a 5-1 vote.

"I don't believe that when God made marijuana he made a mistake that government needs to fix," Simpson wrote in a March op-ed in the The Texas Tribune. He said the plant should be "regulated like tomatoes, jalapenos or coffee."

The measure's passage caught at lease one member of the committee by surprise: state Rep. Jeff Leach (R-Plano), who wasn't present for the vote, asked Chairman Abel Herrero (D-Robstown) to take another vote on HB 2165 so that he could register a vote against the measure. Leach said Herrero knew that he was opposed to legalizing pot.

The only no-vote came from state Rep. Matt Shaheen (R-Plano).

Source: http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/politics/2015/05/06/bill-to-legalize-pot-clears-texas-house-panel/70918838/

-- WFAA8 2015-05-07

The trend seems to be legalizing it. Good. My only concern is that once western nations are utterly stoned, muslim invaders will attack and seize power while the populace is mellowly ROFLing.

Although I agree with the bill, it is unfortunate that the reasoning is highly flawed.

""I don't believe that when God made marijuana he made a mistake that government needs to fix," Simpson wrote in a March op-ed in the The Texas Tribune. He said the plant should be "regulated like tomatoes, jalapenos or coffee.""

So, it follows that opium, to name but one of many plant products should not be controlled.

Put better reasoning behind the bill before you pass it, otherwise you set a very bad precedent.

This could seriously change the red neck tea party attitude of TEXAS.cheesy.gif

It's just another type of tea. What's bringing more and more republicans to changing their mind ... and vote ... about legalizing pot is the multi-billion-dollar industry that's emerging. If you can beat them then make some money.

Probably one of the most sensible bills to pass the house in years. It's time for Thailand to follow suit.

Fat chance...

The reason Thai government made pot illegal is because the USA threatened to withhold mega-millions of dollars in agricultural aid if they didn't. In fact, many other countries illegalized pot for the same reason.

Edited by HerbalEd

It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings.

There's going to be opposition to this.

Given it passed the panel with scant opposition, it sounds like the fat lady may be clearing her throat. Texas is a great area to grow quality pot and it could rapidly turn into a maga-bucks industry, plus generate many millions in taxes. In the end I think it'll be republican's religious zeal for capitalism and a free market that'll turn the tide to legalizing pot nationwide.

Edited by HerbalEd

Probably one of the most sensible bills to pass the house in years. It's time for Thailand to follow suit.

Fat chance...

The reason Thai government made pot illegal is because the USA threatened to withhold mega-millions of dollars in agricultural aid if they didn't. In fact, many other countries illegalized pot for the same reason.

That's a startling allegation...care to provide a bit of back-up?

Really, it would be interesting.

Although I agree with the bill, it is unfortunate that the reasoning is highly flawed.

""I don't believe that when God made marijuana he made a mistake that government needs to fix," Simpson wrote in a March op-ed in the The Texas Tribune. He said the plant should be "regulated like tomatoes, jalapenos or coffee.""

So, it follows that opium, to name but one of many plant products should not be controlled.

Put better reasoning behind the bill before you pass it, otherwise you set a very bad precedent.

He doesn't say that God made no things that the government should regulate, simply that marijuana is not one of them.

Edited by cocopops

Fat chance...

That's a startling allegation...care to provide a bit of back-up?

Really, it would be interesting.

You're right on cue with the response I assumed was coming.

You startle easily. Is it too startling to imagine that the USA ... and other governments ... attach lots of strings to their billions-of-dollars in aid worldwide? That's a key way they wield power over poor countries. "You want the money then do what I ask"?

I didn't just make this up. I read about what I wrote a couple years ago in what I remember to be a reliable source. However, I'm not going to take the time right now to try and find the source for that info. If you really want to know you can do the googling as easily as I.

Edited by HerbalEd

Fat chance...

Thailand's first anti-drug laws were passed in 1922, when it became a member of the League of Nations.

The country's first law specifically targeting ganja was called the Marijuana Act B.E. 2477, and was passed in 1937.

I've never heard of the US Government being involved in the passage of those Thai laws... but maybe you know something I don't.

Fat chance...

Thailand's first anti-drug laws were passed in 1922, when it became a member of the League of Nations.

The country's first law specifically targeting ganja was called the Marijuana Act B.E. 2477, and was passed in 1937.

I've never heard of the US Government being involved in the passage of those Thai laws... but maybe you know something I don't.

I only "know" what I remember reading a few years ago. However, I would not bet my life on the full accuracy of the story. Actually I just spent some time googling the history of cannabis and cannabis laws in Thailand and came up with same info you write of. Of course, almost all history books do not tell the behind-the-scenes and back-rooms history Indeed most of it will never be known.

Not that I have the details of the inside story, but I think most of us here are well aware of the influence the USA and other rich countries can have on small ... and especially third-world countries. And that influence is most often wielded with money.

BTW, I'm an American and while I do love my country I'm also very aware that it has many faults and corruptions.

I would not believe this could be true if I wasn't reading it blk and white, Texas Unbelievable...

People don't understand a lot of things about Texas. We just don't like other people or the government telling us what to do, think, eat, or drink--or how many guns we can have. There is going to be serious opposition to this--but wait until you see where it comes from. It will not be primarily from the descendants of multi-generational Texans. It will come from relocated Yankees in places like Plano, Frisco, and Richardson, along with some very unusual religious coalitions (think Muslims seeing a good PR opportunity to work with Southern Baptists and vice versa).

A pot smoking Texas will be a huge nail in the coffin for the GOP. I don't think you'll find a mellow pothead in the whole of the US voting for thembiggrin.png

I don't think you'll find a mellow pothead in the whole of the US voting period.

Scientific tests have proven beyond any reasonable doubt that it improves certain cognitive abilities.

Edited by DaddyWarbucks

A pot smoking Texas will be a huge nail in the coffin for the GOP. I don't think you'll find a mellow pothead in the whole of the US voting for thembiggrin.png

I don't think you'll find a mellow pothead in the whole of the US voting period.

Scientific tests have proven beyond any reasonable doubt that it improves certain cognitive abilities.

I know lots of long-time pot smokers who vote and are politically active ... and run multi-million dollar companies, are pillars of the community, and lead very productive and successful lives. And I know others who are wasted and low achievers. However, I can say the same about not pot smokers.