2 work permits for 1 person.

I want to change employer but I can't be a single day without a valid work permit.

My first thought was to apply for a 2nd book but I read in previous posts that if I remain within the same province this is not possible.

And that I can only add my new job to my current work permit if I get approval from current employer.

My current work permit can be cancelled on the day the new work permit becomes valid as long as I don't miss a single day with a valid work permit.

I was advised by colleagues not to inform my current employer that I'm planning to change jobs before the new permit is ready because the owner can be very vindictive and can show very irrational behavior.

Any idea how to handle this?

You apply in advance with all the paperwork from the new employer, so everything si ready when the big day comes.

When you change employers you cancel your WP at the labour office and would ideal like get the new WP (or a WP3 form to show immigration). Next you go to immigraiton (if on an extension based on employement) and cancel your permission to stay. At that time you apply for a new extension to stay based on your new job.

Immigration prefers a letter from your old employer, clearly stating the last day of employement.

Sorry if I placed it in the wrong way. I thought work permit issues and question have to be under Thai visas, residency and work permits.

Thanks for your answer Mario! My visa is not linked in any way to the WP.

I just need to be 100% sure I don't miss a single day without valid WP.

You apply in advance with all the paperwork from the new employer, so everything si ready when the big day comes.

When you change employers you cancel your WP at the labour office and would ideal like get the new WP (or a WP3 form to show immigration). Next you go to immigraiton (if on an extension based on employement) and cancel your permission to stay. At that time you apply for a new extension to stay based on your new job.

Immigration prefers a letter from your old employer, clearly stating the last day of employement.

If the OP is already in Thailand then the new employer would use form WP1 to apply, not form WP3 which for prospective employees who have not yet entered Thailand.

As you are already on your local labour department's books, then they might well flag a WP3 application.

If the application is successfully filed sufficiently far in advance, then in theory the new WP can be ready for issue the same day that your old WP is cancelled (if necessary, the WP cancellation procedures allow you to do this yourself, without your employer's input/permission).

I have multiple work permits for almost 15 years, at one time I had 5 work permits. This was under the old system of using one book, so I cant comment on the newer system of multiple books, but I never had an issue of adding a work permit with other work permits in force. I currently have 2 work permits in the same book.

Two jobs can only be in the same WP at the same time, if you are doing them simultaneously and have written permission from the first employer to do the second job. Otherwise, when you change jobs, they issue a new WP for the new job.

The current regulations state that the WP can be cancelled either by the employer or the employee but, in practice, they usually ask for a letter from the employer confirming the last day of work. If you have any doubts about the procedure in your case, you can go along and ask at the Labour Office at the enquiries desk. They are usually quite helpful and generally have some one with reasonable English on hand.