Thai postman fired after lost mail found at his home

webfact

I am lucky, I think, not to have had serious problems with Thai Post but have heard many stories from friends and fellow posters but if I letter I wasn't expecting has ever gone missing I would never know unless the sender followed up.

I will say that in recent times the delivery has slowed down and I'm gauging this by the regular mail i get from the Hong Kong Government and a bank in HK which used to arrive in less than a week but now can take up to three. For outgoing important mail I use DHL and the cost is worth peace of mind.

As to the case in point I have no idea of the Thai definition of theft but to my mind it was and being fired was too easy.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I must be born lucky ,have had many items from uk ,non went missing

How do you know nothing has has gone missing?

You only know that items you were expecting have arrived.

Could it be possible items you are unaware of have never arrived?

Agreed. I made the same point in Post 61 and unless the original sender follows up somehow the intended receiver will never know.

It's different with letters etc that are expected or come on a regular basis and non-arrival can be dealt with.

The poor guy is probably under stress with a lousy job. A warning would have been more appropriate.

It's no excuse but with the large number of stray and pet dogs roaming the streets it is a job I'd not want.

Fired? Shouldn't he be arrested and charged with theft at the very least?

Thought there might be have been a reshuffle and a transfer to an inactive post (no pun intended). Oh well, that lazy arse was the author of his own misfortune...

The poor guy is probably under stress with a lousy job. A warning would have been more appropriate.

Really? Committing a criminal offence, which might have caused loss or misery to the person who did not receive the information, and all he should get is a warning?

I have strong feelings about this as during the December-January period almost no mail was delivered to me. The missing stuff included not just bills but Christmas cards from overseas friends and flower seeds as well as who knows what else. Normal service has since been resumed,so I assume the person responsible has been promoted.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

Over a six month period I got none of the six items I bought online ...I complained to the boss & they were in my box the next morning the problem is that this happens every 6 months getting no or almost no mail they just seem to leave it somewhere for many months at a time & maybe you will forget about it ...in my case I had to buy all the items twice so when they showed up the next day they were useless to me

Agree - I go months without mail. When I visit the PO to inquire they find it within a day. The post office is in Ban Amphur serving Bang Saray.

Thailand Post, the organization known for folding, breaking, throwing and totally losing mail.

Exactly who`s expert opinion is this?

visiting the local mail centre to pick up a package, I was sitting there watching them sort the packages & they were throwing them up to 4 metres into piles on the floor, they were simply too lazt to carry them and didnt care what was inside them so yes I can definitely say thet this is exactly how they sort their packages, Add to that 2 seperate visa cards went missing in the mail and the local PO told me that the workers are known to take them so they can sell them, even their bosses knows it happens but do nothing.

Barclays in the UK refuse to send me renewal Visa cards to Thailand, and even told me they would cancel the account I've had for 30 years. I have to get anything from them sent to my sister in Spain. Something for Thailand to be proud of.

I had the same message from Barclays re. debit card and also BOS MasterCard. They both said Thailand was on a 'no send' list. As you say, a pretty damning indictment of a country's postal service.

I solved it by renewing both (early) when I was back in the UK for a holiday.

Three years ago a debit card sent by registered mail from Europe failed to arrive. I filled in a complaint form. One of the questions was "What is the value of the contents?' Since a debit card has no value in itself, I put "0." When I got the reply a few weeks later, it said "Package left <some location> and did not arrive at <some location>. Customer did not ask for compensation." So if this happens to you, make sure you put the compensation you require in the "value of contents" section.

Thailand Post, the organization known for folding, breaking, throwing and totally losing mail.

Exactly who`s expert opinion is this?

I receive a parcel worth 2000 euros from Europe every month since 10 years, and never had any problems...

I love Thai post office, they are very very good and their tracking system is the best i know.

From your supplier?

Sounds like the general needs to dig out article 44 to shake up the postal system?

Is it me or does every facet of Thai life suffer from corruption? In which case the general has alot to sort out!

Actually i have found that stuff always gets here, it's just that it takes so long. I have had letters that have taken 3 days to get from Germany to my local post office but 10 days to travel the 17 Kilometers from the post office to my house

Fired? Shouldn't he be arrested and charged with theft at the very least?

another clueless Farang who has no idea how this country works..... here, very few people are actually being "arrested" or "charged" as this would make them lose face.

Instead they are being moved to an "inactive position"

Edited by siam2007

I would say you have been very lucky. I have had 4 items sent from the UK in the last month, one package with a book, one with a DVD and two replacement Visa cards. None have arrived.

If his motor cycle was broken down how did all that mail and packages get into his room. No even a good response on his part. They knew he was not telling the truth when his lips were moving!

I would say you have been very lucky. I have had 4 items sent from the UK in the last month, one package with a book, one with a DVD and two replacement Visa cards. None have arrived.

A tip, get your stuff sent registered post, it always gets to you, my experience anyway.

Thank you. Unfortunately the book and DVD were presents sent by an old lady who dotes on my daughter but doesn't understand, and the bank refuses to use use registered. You know, "our system doesn't allow blah blah blah...."

Interestingly it's not just Thailand. Some years ago I had an airline ticket go missing, before the days of e tickets. The UK Post Office told me, off the record, that it would have been taken by "temporary agency staff" and that the trouble with registered mail was that the label "told the temporary staff that there was something worth stealing".

Edited by JAG

I subscribe to a weekly UK newspaper. They usually arrive in a bundle of three, and that's it for another month. No idea where the 4th issue is.

Is there a Thai postman Interested in a UK newspaper? I don't think it's censorship, as some of the articles are less than flattering.

My feeling about a lot of issuse with post ,servicing of car ,electricity,water stuff like that I just don`t see pride of work sad.png

Thais take pride in not having to work. While I sort of agree, if you're shafted to a degree you're forced to work in, at least do it right.

I tried to post a package to Kalasin from the Nana PO, and the girl there asked me what country it was in.

Best larf all day BKK Barry. I get the same at my pub, " Where you flom ? " I say Maechan then " Where you flom " I repeat Maechan then I get " Oh .......Maechan " They might mean where did I live 11 years ago but great fun . This can be followed by " No no ferlung ,where you come flom " To this I say my house , soi ha. OK a bit of a wind up but things usualy end up with shaking hands or wai ing, It has been known for a chok dee and a drink coming over to my table, My kind of town. 'ang on what has this to do with lost mail/lost thread.