Where to buy a good belt in Bangkok?

redwing777

I arrived in Thailand a few days ago without a belt. I thought I could just buy a new one on arrival. After wandering around aimlessly for 3 hours I finally found a belt on Khao Son Road. The belt looked, and smelt, like real leather. It looked rather stylish, and with my pants falling down past my waist causing an enormous amount of chaffing, I was ready to pay whatever the lady wanted. She quoted me 300 baht. So I purchased it and everything was good!... for two days! Now the "leather" is peeling off and a little water is causing the thing to warp and basically dissolve. So.. Does anyone know a place I can buy a good belt that'll last, not too formal, and will go well with everyday shorts and tank tops? Also the price? Thanks!

Go to a branch of La Franche - there's one in the Ploenchit Centre by Sukhumuvit 2, and in Times Square by Sukhimvit 12 and maybe others. You pick from hundreds of leather belts, choose the buckle you want, they measure you and then put it all together. You can get a great belt for maybe 1200 baht - can't remember as I've had three or four from there and they've lasted years. Booths rather than shops. Excellent service.

Go to a branch of La Franche - there's one in the Ploenchit Centre by Sukhumuvit 2, and in Times Square by Sukhimvit 12 and maybe others. You pick from hundreds of leather belts, choose the buckle you want, they measure you and then put it all together. You can get a great belt for maybe 1200 baht - can't remember as I've had three or four from there and they've lasted years. Booths rather than shops. Excellent service.

Awesome, thanks for the info! They sound nice! I'll go check them out today.

Sounds like the shop I was going to recommend in Amarin Plaza (BTS Chidlom), 2nd floor, don't remember the name, but I think it's the same.

If you have any intention of visiting Chatuchak market either today or tomorrow, I recommend going to visit a genuine leather craft guy that has a little shop inside the Chatuchak Park MRT station. All the stuff is handmade by this guy and he uses the saddle stitch which is far stronger than any machine can produce. I'm not sure of the price, but back in the UK I normally charge 4000Bt for a top quality handmade belt. A quarter of that price is for the excellent materials I use and the rest is for my labour.

Gosh the essence of style- I would suggest Prada or Chanel.

Will go deliciously with your shorts and ' tank top' - otherwise known as a wife beater.

Thai Visa seems to have descended into a shopping channel.

There is a vendor on second or third floor next to the escalator. Their leather is good. Best if you have your old hardware as you can't get ther quality buckles that they use on Polo or Italian belts.

Edited by straylight

Is this a trick question or are you on drugs?

Seems like a legitimate question from a new arrival. Tricks and drugs are often the property of someone asking.

The belt shop in Nana plaza on the third floor down the back has a beautiful array of belts big one small ones all shapes and sizes, there is a change room next door to try it on and the staff there are very good. It is only open at night after 7.30 pm as it is a night shop . Go there and mention my TV name and they will give you 70% discount . Good luck.

I got a good and inexpensive belt at MBK. 300B It is lasting well. Probably could have bargained. Stall on left side on level you enter from BTS.

Seconded. MBK (that's Mah Boon Krong mall at Siam Square district) for real leather belts at good prices like 300 baht.

I second this recommendation. Many get whiplash from the prices, but the fact is that you are paying a fair price for a premium product that also happens to have a *lifetime guarantee.*

Yes. Belts made by these folks are warranted for life.

They use good leather, you select precisely which leather that you want.

They use good hardware, again, you select precisely which hardware that you prefer.

Then they build the damned thing right in front of you, measuring you on the spot, and the belts that they make last forever and look great.

I have no relationship to this small business. I am just a satisfied customer of many years, and many belts.

Every time that I walk past one of their booths, I take my belt off and I hand it to the attendant. She buffs it up and polishes it for me. For free.

I prefer the one in Ploenchit Center, I suppose that it is the 2d floor. Been patronizing them for years.

I second this recommendation. Many get whiplash from the prices, but the fact is that you are paying a fair price for a premium product that also happens to have a *lifetime guarantee.*

Yes. Belts made by these folks are warranted for life.

They use good leather, you select precisely which leather that you want.

They use good hardware, again, you select precisely which hardware that you prefer.

Then they build the damned thing right in front of you, measuring you on the spot, and the belts that they make last forever and look great.

I have no relationship to this small business. I am just a satisfied customer of many years, and many belts.

Every time that I walk past one of their booths, I take my belt off and I hand it to the attendant. She buffs it up and polishes it for me. For free.

I prefer the one in Ploenchit Center, I suppose that it is the 2d floor. Been patronizing them for years.

Yeah, La Franche is the one I go to in Amarin Plaza, 2nd floor. Best place for a decent belt of any style in Bangkok.

this is a ok answer to a ...a....a... question ? ask your mom ..... she can explain why this is kinda dumb .

This is kind of weird. You want an expensive belt? Go to the men's wear section of any department store, Tesco, Central, Robinson's, Big C. You want a cheap, good belt? There are hundreds, if not thousands, of streetside stalls. I just took a look at my belt, I suppose it's some kind of plastic but it might be leather for all I can tell. Can't remember when I bought it, but it had to have been before I moved to Nakhon Sawan eight years ago. Bought it in Bangkok, think it was a little over 100 baht. Who in the world thinks about belts, for goodness sake? A belt is meant to hold your pants up. A piece of rope works just as well.