failed retirement extension Chiang Mai

You give an impression that Chiangmai can be difficult.

But stick within the rules next time, keep the 800k available and untouched if you possibly can.

Thankfully Jomtiem was easier on my friend. Whilst telling him 800k in a joint account was now not acceptable for him and his wife to get extensions, once he closed that account and moved the money to a single name account, they were prepared to give the extension (despite the money not having been seasoned). I believe they then processed his wife on a dependency basis (both farang).

You think after 12 years living in Thailand I am not aware of your point? My wife isn't Thai she is English!

Don't get upset you did not disclose that in your first post. It looks like you may need to exit Thailand and get a single entry O visa based on retirement from Lao. Wish you the best. UJ this OP needs you.

i beg to differ and claim he bloody well disclosed it with three clear indications:

This will involve us in a 27 day overstay which is not difficult to calculate but is B27,000, not to mention endorsements in our passports.

i never understood why people always assume that every married chap living in Thailand is married to a Thai lady.

• Like 1

I am applying for a marriage visa this year and am required to lodge the documents 45 days prior to my retirement visa running out, therefore it is not likely that converting to a marriage visa will assist at this point.

You think after 12 years living in Thailand I am not aware of your point? My wife isn't Thai she is English!

Don't get upset you did not disclose that in your first post. It looks like you may need to exit Thailand and get a single entry O visa based on retirement from Lao. Wish you the best. UJ this OP needs you.

i beg to differ and claim he bloody well disclosed it with three clear indications:

This will involve us in a 27 day overstay which is not difficult to calculate but is B27,000, not to mention endorsements in our passports.

i never understood why people always assume that every married chap living in Thailand is married to a Thai lady.

Ok he did in a back handed way.wink.png Point taken. Now they can both leave Thailand and start the process over again. They made an honest mistake based on greed and it cost them.whistling.gif

why all the angst.. It is quite simple.. all you have to do is a standard visa run to any country.. Once you leave Thailand the 90 day reporting goes off the books..When you return just do the 30 day visa on arrival so you can wait the additional time needed to apply for a new retirement visa. As far as over stay being a black mark.. It rarely does unless you are over staying for years.. As a newbie I once overstayed for almost 3 months when I thought my 90 day report was an extension.. I went to immigration paid the 20K baht max fine plus I believe another 1900 baht for a 7 day visa.. I flew to Cambodia and returned with a 30 day on arrival visa went back to immigration and got my retirement visa.. No issues..no problems..no black marks in passport.. This was at the Chonburi immigration office which is a super fantastic place.. If your visa is already expired I suggest you get it settled at the immigration office instead of at the airport.. Like I already mentioned .. you will pay the fine and for a 7 day visa which will allow you to avoid any issues when you exit Thailand..

why all the angst.. It is quite simple.. all you have to do is a standard visa run to any country.. Once you leave Thailand the 90 day reporting goes off the books..When you return just do the 30 day visa on arrival so you can wait the additional time needed to apply for a new retirement visa. As far as over stay being a black mark.. It rarely does unless you are over staying for years.. As a newbie I once overstayed for almost 3 months when I thought my 90 day report was an extension.. I went to immigration paid the 20K baht max fine plus I believe another 1900 baht for a 7 day visa.. I flew to Cambodia and returned with a 30 day on arrival visa went back to immigration and got my retirement visa.. No issues..no problems..no black marks in passport.. This was at the Chonburi immigration office which is a super fantastic place.. If your visa is already expired I suggest you get it settled at the immigration office instead of at the airport.. Like I already mentioned .. you will pay the fine and for a 7 day visa which will allow you to avoid any issues when you exit Thailand..

Since late last year it is no longer possible to convert a 30 day visa exempt entry (it's not a 30 day VOA) into a "retirement visa" anywhere but in Bangkok and you must make two trips to do this. The days of easy conversion in Chonburi or Chiang Mai are over. That's why everyone is advising the OP to leave the country and get the proper visa, a 90-day O visa -- that's only one that can be extended for 12 months due to retirement. --- well, that and an O-A visa, but I doubt the OP and his wife want to return to the U.K. and apply for an O-A visa!

• Like 2

I am beginning to get confused.

The Immigration Officer told us we could get a pension letter in a few days but he was wrong. He anticipated us arriving back with money and time period resolved before the current extension expires. He gave us back all our papers and said we could use the same application and forms and even gave us our queue tickets back so we would be first in line. Therefore we left without pursuing the issue of overstay. Only upon asking the Bangkok Office were we told 10 working days - no urgent cases accepted for reducing this time.

Its an interesting point about the non-immigrant visa having "expired long ago". I am sure this cannot be right as both my wife and I have been using the same one for at least eight years. She got hers in UK and I got mine in Penang. Every year since then, Immigration Officers have examined our passports and nobody ever raised the issue. Does a non-immigrant 'O' visa have a limited life?

Oh, now I understand. He thought the process of getting an income letter was like it is for the Americans where they'd work you in pronto without an appointment for an "emergency" like this. Won't the British Embassy do the same thing? It's absolutely essential you get this resolved before your current extension expires. I suggest you appeal to a higher authority at the British Embassy or contact the British Honorary Consul in Chiang Mai, especially if travel to Vientiane is a hardship for either of you. Otherwise, you'll just have to resign yourself to an unexpected little holiday to Laos. It takes a couple days to get an O visa in Vientiane. The process is time-consuming, but not especially expensive.

Everyone's correct in saying your visas have been dead for a long time -- what you've been doing is extending your permission to stay from year-to-year. That's now the date that's relevant, not the date of your original visa. People talk about "renewing their visa" when actually they're "extending their permission to stay". Once you're here past the date of your current extension to stay, then you're on overstay and there is nothing the nice officers in Chiang Mai can do to help you. You're going to have to leave the country and apply for a new O visa in a neighboring country. That makes more sense than just getting a 30 day non-exempt entry and doing the two-visit conversion to an O visa in Bangkok.

Nancy you said "once your here past the date of your current extension to stay, then your on overstay and there is nothing the nice officers in Chiang Mai can do to help you" Thats not necessarily correct. My extension to stay expired on March 6th 2015 but I read it wrong and thought it expired on the 16 March . I went to Chaeng Wattena Immigrationn in BKK paid 4,000 baht for 8 days overstay ( got receipt ) then had extension granted after paperwork with letter from embassy ( USA) was checked by her supervisor who said "see you next year"

That's interesting news from Chaeng Wattena -- not Chiang Mai. It might be worthwhile for the OP to return to Chiang Mai Immigration and explain the situation and ask the friendly Immigration officer if he and his wife can do the same thing. Don't know. I've never known them to do it in Chiang Mai for people who went on overstay while in hospital, but perhaps they would in this situation. I've heard of others claiming they were able to do it in Chiang Mai for being a day or two late for retirement extensions but not recent reports. And frankly considering the source of the reports, I kind of doubt the credibility of the reports I've heard.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Since late last year it is no longer possible to convert a 30 day visa exempt entry (it's not a 30 day VOA) into a "retirement visa" anywhere but in Bangkok and you must make two trips to do this. The days of easy conversion in Chonburi or Chiang Mai are over. That's why everyone is advising the OP to leave the country and get the proper visa, a 90-day O visa -- that's only one that can be extended for 12 months due to retirement. --- well, that and an O-A visa, but I doubt the OP and his wife want to return to the U.K. and apply for an O-A visa!

Thank you.. I stand corrected.. It was a few years ago when I did this.. smile.png

Thank you.. I stand corrected.. It was a few years ago when I did this.. smile.png

Yeah, the change caught many people by surprise, including the Immigration officials in Chiang Mai. They continued to accept applications for a few days after 1 December 2014 without realizing their authority to do so had been yanked! They had to contact everyone and say "sorry, we can't get approval for your application" wow, what a major loss of "face" and it scared the poop out of some applicants thinking there was something the matter with them, not the authority of the CM office.

• Like 1

I have read that we can leave Thailand and get a 30 day tourist (visa) or 60 day tourist visa from Laos. Surely this would compromise our non-immigrant 'O' visa already in passports?

According to his post, OP is living in Thailand for (min) 10 years on retirement extensions, so his Non-Imm O is long expired.

I also think that leaving Thailand before the actual retirement extension expires (thus not being bothered with overstays and possible fines and stamps), getting a new Visa abroad and then re-apply for the retirement extension with the new Visa might be a solution?

That is what everybody would have to do if they leave Thailand with or without re-entry permit and their extension expires while they are abroad. But not sure if that option (travel out to get a new Visa) is suitable for the OP

Have no idea what you are on about? An annual visa extension based on retirement is a category Non Immigrant O visa as is an annual visa for married to a Thai spouse.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have read that we can leave Thailand and get a 30 day tourist (visa) or 60 day tourist visa from Laos. Surely this would compromise our non-immigrant 'O' visa already in passports?

According to his post, OP is living in Thailand for (min) 10 years on retirement extensions, so his Non-Imm O is long expired.

I also think that leaving Thailand before the actual retirement extension expires (thus not being bothered with overstays and possible fines and stamps), getting a new Visa abroad and then re-apply for the retirement extension with the new Visa might be a solution?

That is what everybody would have to do if they leave Thailand with or without re-entry permit and their extension expires while they are abroad. But not sure if that option (travel out to get a new Visa) is suitable for the OP

Have no idea what you are on about? An annual visa extension based on retirement is a category Non Immigrant O visa as is an annual visa for married to a Thai spouse.

Realy ?

Best you produce the evidence for stating that garbage !

I have been here in Thailand for many years and I have an extension of my permission to stay

My very old "visa " is now as dead and useless as a deceased parrot !

Why can I find no reference to a "Category Non Immigrant O visa" associated with my most recent "extension of stay" in my passport ?

Edited by nzexpat
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Realy ?

I have been here in Thailand for many years and I have an extension of my permission to stay

Why can I find no reference to a "Category Non Immigrant O visa" associated with my most recent "extension of stay" in my passport ?

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=48

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/retirementvisachecklist.pdf

http://pattaya-funtown.com/visa_retirement/

http://www.thaiembassy.sg/consular-visa-matters/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa-o-a-long-stay

http://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa/Thailand-Retirement-Visa.php

The op with no extension will be on overstay once the current extension ends, in order to prevent this, a trip out the country will be required to get a fresh permission to stay stamp, this could be a visa exempt entry or a tourist visa, But to in order to obtain a new yearly extension, a fresh non 'O' will be required for himself and his wife, in the final month of that permission to stay stamp, a fresh application for the yearly extension can be made, the money should be well seasoned then.

• Like 1

Realy ?

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=48

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/retirementvisachecklist.pdf

http://pattaya-funtown.com/visa_retirement/

http://www.thaiembassy.sg/consular-visa-matters/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa-o-a-long-stay

http://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa/Thailand-Retirement-Visa.php

Regardless of what some of these websites state, a Visa is obtained from an external Embassy or Consulate of the Country you with to enter.

The proof of the pudding is under your nose in your passport.

You have an original document obtained from another Country which will clearly state: Type of Visa.

That Visa has an expiry date, thereafter it is USED (Finished, of no further use).

When you apply for an extension at Thailand's Immigration they will stamp or write USED across your Visa.

You are not applying to extend the Visa. You are applying to 'extend the permission to stay in Thailand' that the now USED Visa originally gave you.

Look at your extension stamp. It is a 'permit', not a Visa.

Quote: *********** Immigration Office extension of stay permitted up to............

Further down:

-To keep your stay permit, re-entry permit must be made before leaving Thailand.

- Notification of Residence must be made every 90 days.

• Like 2

I have not read all of this and it may have been said:-

A friend was in a similar situation with his 800K, his Immigration Office (Sakhon Nakon), although strict, showed some compassion and granted him a interim "Extension of stay" until the 90 day deposit period was reached. So all up it only cost him 1900 Baht for the additional extension. Maybe the OP could try this approach in CM.

Regardless of what some of these websites state, a Visa is obtained from an external Embassy or Consulate of the Country you with to enter.

You have an original document obtained from another Country which will clearly state: Type of Visa.

That Visa has an expiry date, thereafter it is USED (Finished, of no further use).

When you apply for an extension at Thailand's Immigration they will stamp or write USED across your Visa.

You are not applying to extend the Visa. You are applying to 'extend the permission to stay in Thailand' that the now USED Visa originally gave you.

Quote: *********** Immigration Office extension of stay permitted up to............

Further down:

-To keep your stay permit, re-entry permit must be made before leaving Thailand.

Fair enough. I am on a non Immigrant visa based on retirement that I acquire in Thailand, not from abroad, and you are on a permit. Good luck to all who sail in her.

Further down:

Fair enough. I am on a non Immigrant visa based on retirement that I acquire in Thailand, not from abroad, and you are on a permit. Good luck to all who sail in her.

"I am on a non Immigrant visa based on retirement that I acquire in Thailand,"
Wonderful !
When was this "visa" obtained and is it still valid ?
Is the VISA "renewed" every year or is a new "VISA " issued ?
Think very carefully before answering .
The traps are primed to catch the ill-informed ! smile.png
  • Like 2

Further down:

Whilst I accept that you can do a conversion in Bangkok to a Non O Visa for the purpose of retirement, that Visa expires after 90 days and you must then get an extension of your permission to stay in Thailand based on retirement.

Perhaps a scan of the document (omitting your personal details) you say you have would be proof. (or not).

• Like 1

Apropos my failed retirement extension.

I now discovered that I have a 90 day report to file by 18th May. The retirement extension expires on 14th May. Application won't succeed until maybe as late as 26 May. I wont bore you with the details now.

Am I able to file a 90 day report irrespective of the dates above?

I now discovered that I have a 90 day report to file by 18th May. The retirement extension expires on 14th May. Application won't succeed until maybe as late as 26 May. I wont bore you with the details now.

If you remain in Thailand after May 14 you will be on Overstay !

You need to stop worrying about 90 day reports and seek a means of remaining "Legal" after 14 May !

Yes.

Why not try to file online tonight (you're just barely within the 15 days before to 7 days before due date window)? Here's the site: http://extranet.immigration.go.th/pibics/online/tm47/TM47Action.do

Works without any tweaking in the Internet Explorer browser.

If you would rather do in person (or online doesn't work for you, which is also a possibility) you can go to the immigration office 15 days before your due date or up to 6 days after your due date (the late grace period). Someone you designate can do this for you, or you can do it yourself. You also have the option to mail in your 90 Day Report (if your local immigration office allows this), but it would need to be sent soon as it needs to be received by the due date.

this happened to me a few years ago.I went out of thailand to malaysia,got a tourist visa,came back in,and waited for the extra month to season money.went back to immigration and they re instated my retirement extention.Ask your immigration if they will do this for you.