Army wants Prayut to use Section 44 to order declaration of sophisticated spying devices

Army wants Prayut to use Section 44 to order declaration of sophisticated spying devices in possession

9-5-2558-16-12-14-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Matichon Online quoted an Army source as saying that the Army wants the prime minister to use Section 44 to order the declaration of such sophisticated spying devices after the previous government did not control the import of such telecom equipment for use by state agencies.

The NBTC is the only regulator that permits import of telecom devices.

This enabled some state agencies to import sophisticated spying devices for use and registered with the NBTC by deceiving it to believe that such devices were just normal telecom equipments.

Matichon said the Army source has found that such spying devices have been used in the Department of Special Investigation, and other state agencies.

The source said at present the Internal Security Operations Command is the only state agency that has procured such sophisticated spying devices legally for use.

The import and procurement has to be permitted by the defence minister.

The source recalled that the interruption of a demonstration of spying devices at the Special Branch Bureau revealed that these devices are so sophisticated and function better than mobile phone jammers.

They can tap target mobile phone signal instantly and even tap 4G mobile phone signals.

The source said now ISOC has purchased two sets of such devices for use in the South.

He said it was not known how many spying devices of such quality are in use in the country as the Israeli firm didn’t give much information.

What the Army was told was that not only the Israeli firm, but also a French supplier was offering to sell to some state agency.

The source added that checking of the selling of spying devices was very loosely, citing the demonstration of such devices which was posted openly on the social networks.

If the First Army didn’t interrupt in the demonstration, it could be held responsible for negligence of duty, Matichon quoted the Army source as saying.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/army-wants-prayut-to-use-section-44-to-order-declaration-of-sophisticated-spying-devices-in-possession

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-09

It almost sounds as if the army is behind in buying spy-toys. In the war on terrorism many have proven to be very usefull. Tapping cellphones is just basic stuff. So let them have their equipment and hope they use it well and not let some general use it to check his wife, mistress or neighbour

Edited by EricBerg

Sounds more like the Army are upset the Police got in with the Israeli's first, and are throwing their teddies once again due to their ever increasing paranoia!!

I dont read it that way. In fact it is a very reasonable concern in my mind. Govt agencies having the equipment and ability to listen in on any private conversation weather it voice or text should be heavily regulated. Companies manufacturing and selling this equipment should be as well.

Sounds more like the Army are upset the Police got in with the Israeli's first, and are throwing their teddies once again due to their ever increasing paranoia!!

I dont read it that way. In fact it is a very reasonable concern in my mind. Govt agencies having the equipment and ability to listen in on any private conversation weather it voice or text should be heavily regulated. Companies manufacturing and selling this equipment should be as well.

Control is about context.

I agree controls on spying equipment would be reasonable where a government can be held accountable and controllable by the Citizens, ie., an elected government. But where you have an unelected government in power through military force whose leadership rules by unchecked and arbitrary fiat, unrestricted control of spying devices takes on a repressive purpose.

Don't worry director general they are just baby monitoring devices sold at 100 times the cost and marketed as surveilence equipment. Similar to the 1000's of golf ball finders you ordered that were marketed as bomb detectors.

It would appear both only have the ability to seek out fools!

I agree controls on spying equipment would be reasonable where a government can be held accountable and controllable by the Citizens, ie., an elected government. But where you have an unelected government in power through military force whose leadership rules by unchecked and arbitrary fiat, unrestricted control of spying devices takes on a repressive purpose.

A moderating factor on the "reasonable" test would be that the government in question is one that abides by and respects the law.

One that openly doesn't and is controlled by a non elected criminal, as an example, would hardly be trustworthy, now would they?

Just another mess in a country full of mess - ups , there seems a concentrated effort in Thailand that the left hand never knows what the right is doing, this all boils down to rules , regulations and executive powers , no-body has a clue of the rules or regulations and the military only knows section 44 the power , not only the constitution needs review but the rules to all departments need review and upgrading to this century level. coffee1.gif

A moderating factor on the "reasonable" test would be that the government in question is one that abides by and respects the law.

One that openly doesn't and is controlled by a non elected criminal, as an example, would hardly be trustworthy, now would they?

It does appears the very first sentence of the OP did not register with Srikcir.

why doesn't the army worry about doing it's job of protecting Thailand's borders and less time worrying about what the police have or don't have? Oh.. I remember now...

Yes I remember too and it's because the police are the most mistrusted & mistrustful gang in the country.

I also remember how the army had to step in early last year to force the police to do their job is an unbiased and fair way.

It's one thing having these 'toys' in the hands of security agencies and a no-no having the police with the potentail to misuse them.

So lets apply your logic to the world outside of Thailand. Does the US army have the right to stop the importation of spy devices by the NSA, CIA or FBI, do they even have the right to know about it ? No they don't and the same should apply in Thailand. The government that represents the people must know which spy agency is importing what and thats it. In this country some uniforms are stepping on toes that will never heal. This was the first coup that was used for revenge by the victor, but like they say the wheel is round.

So lets apply your logic to the world outside of Thailand. Does the US army have the right to stop the importation of spy devices by the NSA, CIA or FBI, do they even have the right to know about it ? No they don't and the same should apply in Thailand. The government that represents the people must know which spy agency is importing what and thats it. In this country some uniforms are stepping on toes that will never heal. This was the first coup that was used for revenge by the victor, but like they say the wheel is round.

I am not sure why everybody needs to compare what and how Thailand does things to the US. It is irrelevant and confusing. If you got something to say just say it, but leave the comparatives out.

Edited by dcutman

I am not sure why everybody needs to compare what and how Thailand does things to the US. It is totally irrelevant and confusing. If you got something to say or make a point, just do it, but leave the comparatives out.

Edited by dcutman

why doesn't the army worry about doing it's job of protecting Thailand's borders and less time worrying about what the police have or don't have? Oh.. I remember now...

Yes I remember too and it's because the police are the most mistrusted & mistrustful gang in the country.

I also remember how the army had to step in early last year to force the police to do their job is an unbiased and fair way.

It's one thing having these 'toys' in the hands of security agencies and a no-no having the police with the potentail to misuse them.

Really? I'm not saying they are a trustworthy bunch. But I am saying the army is absolutely no better, in fact probably worse.

Or worried that someone will track involvement in people trafficking and narcotics?

The OP claims army negligence of duty if they didn;t interfere. What part of armies in a democracy are for protection against outside threats (not not for governing domestic affairs) do the people of Thailand not comprehend?

Edited by arrowsdawdle

Yawn.

Maybe the core of this issue is subversive elements planning to conduct clandestine monitoring of the current leadership - perhaps preparing for some anticipated trouble on the streets (again).

But hey - who cares. Let the usual suspects make their usual schoolboy level comments against the junta. It won't make any difference to what happens. It just gives decent people someone to laugh at.

is this governement more & more sounding like a bunch of clows ?

did they not invite the israeli spies to come demonstrate such equipment ?

good for us farangs, they both hardly speak / understand any english

like thais love thais and let thais spy on thais

stazy thailand is comming