Nicon D3200

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying the NICON D3200 from Lazada.

It comes with 18-55 lens and the price is 13,490 Baht.

What I would like to know is if anybody is using or has used this camera in the past.

What is your opinion on the camera?

I want to upgrade from a compact camera.

Your opinion and input will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

TP

^ never used one but it should be a good choice for an entry level cam . . . especially at that price, & with a lens thumbsup.gif

haven't looked recently, but the old D7000 (now discontinued) is still a really great DSLR & it may still be available . . . not far off that price either i'd imagine

yep . . . Digitalrev still got it @ 399GBP (body only) so i'm sure others will.

Welcome to the wonderful world of camera choice! (be prepared . . it may get bumpy biggrin.png)

Thank you Goshawk, but this is 20,000 Baht and without any lens.

That's over my budget and I would like some more input from members that have used the D3200.

Hi TP1,

I don't believe you will find anyone on this forum that has used this particular camera. I have a Nikon 3100 with the same kit lens but do not use it much (actually I haven't touched it in a long time) as I opted for the Canon products a while back. Now the 3100 is an older generation with far fewer pixels. My impressions of the 3100 were that the kit lens was too restrictive for me. I found that I constantly wanted either a wider or longer lens. I also did not like the fact that I could not auto bracket (not sure if this limitation exists on the 3200 or not. Apart from that, it took nice sharp photos and was quite good given its price point.

To really evaluate a new camera selection, it is helpful to have some idea of what area of photography really gets your juices flowing. Is it street photography, portraiture, landscape, sports, macro/close-up, bird photography, travel . . . etc. Each of these areas has its own best fit equipment-wise. For example, if you want to do sports or action photography then the 3200 with that kit lens would likely not be a great choice.

If you just want to get your feet wet and find out where your interests lie then I would say the 3200 is a fine camera which will allow you to add additional lenses as your need evolve.

Hope this helps a little bit. I think if you are able to articulate your photographic area(s) of interest then you may get some pretty good suggestions from the helpful folks on this forum.

I have used this camera body as my GF owned one, played around with it for a while with different lenses, for the price I have nothing bad to say about the camera it performed well.

Its no pro body, but for the price It will not disappoint^^

Buy any Nikon body in Thailand to can get free training, for various things flash, post processing, many other courses, though I have never been I have sent my GF a few times and she learned a lot^^

Fiddlesticks, that was great help.

Thank you very much.

Photography is a new hobby for me and I was inspired by the amazing photographs displayed on this forum by other members including your good self.

The compact I've got it's an old one and has passed it's sell by date.

So I decided to get a new one that will give me more options help me to learn and get better photos.

As you said in the future I can add more lenses and be more adventurous.

I've read some reports on the internet about this camera and seems to be OK for me for now.

But I thought it's better to ask for first hand experience before I press the button and buy the camera.

Your advice was much appreciated.

@TP1

I think the Nikon D7000 or better the D7100 are vastly superior to the D3200, in terms of "amazing photographs".

Seeing that the price is of big concern to you, I would warn you against going into DSLR.

Using DSLR you will need to invest in additional equipment such as a flash unit and additional lenses.

Also, budget lenses rarely achieve good picture quality, and lenses are often moch pricier than the camera body.

Also, budget DSLR are going to disappoint in performance and picture quality.

My advice is to try to get your hands on a good mid-level crop sensor DSLR such as the Nikon D7100 or the Canon 7D, if necessary save longer to have more money at your disposal.

If jumping from a compact camera, the D3200 at 13,490 is a good place to start, tune your skills before jumping into paying more cash, people will always tell you to bey a better camera but better to learn the skill before you start spending the cash, as I sad the camera will do the job and have the manual controls for you to learn the art^^

Thank you Goshawk, but this is 20,000 Baht and without any lens.

That's over my budget and I would like some more input from members that have used the D3200.

Actually, I have tried the lower model, the D3100, it also had a 18-55 lens.

At the time I was using a Canon 550D, so I naturally compared both.

My impression was that picture quality was not good, it was only acceptable for close ups and portrait type photos, anything landscape was lacking detail.

Also, budget lenses rarely achieve good picture quality, and lenses are often moch pricier than the camera body.

on a budget? don't forget about the older Nikkor lenses . . . most long since out out production, but gleaming second hand examples can be had easily & cheaply . . . and they are the bees knees IQ wise. Not sure how many of em would work on a D3### though. Glass is where it's at really . . . bodies? well they come and go. Be wise in your purchase OP.

A DSLR is like a whore, after you use one they are all the same, though some more expensive than others thumbsup.gif

there is some truth in that!

OP might keep the budget under control by buying a good camera that will last many years for example a D7100, along with a nikkor 18-140 lens which is small enough for the built-in flash to be used at wideangle, while the 18-200 lens would make a separate flash unit necessary.

D7100 + 18-140 lens is my winning suggestion for anyone serious about making "amazing photos" with a crop sensor DSLR on a small budget.

For shooting indoors, crop sensors don't let enough light in, so a separate flash unit is necessary anyways to bump the light off the walls and get that soft but sharp photo look.

OP...As mentioned already it is better to save up more for a "better body" however...

the 3200 will do you nicely as you get the feel for what genre of photography you

may be interested in. With any photographic genre you must remember one very

important item...the camera body is only a recording device. What you are going to

record must first pass through another item...the lens.

The better the lens the better the results. In today's terms most all camera bodies

have good sensors in them. It is the glass (lens) which will make or break a pic.

As member Goshawk stated....many top notch older Nikkor lenses are very cheap

these days and will work on the 3200. That said...Nikon's 18-55 or their 18-105

kit lenses have excellent optical quality...the only drawback is the plastic construction.

But hey...they're really sharp, cheap & easily replaceable!

As lenses go buy the correct glass, Kit Lenses, Prime Lenses, Telephoto Zoom Lenses, Macro Lenses, Wide Angle Lenses, think about if first

For the body get the kit lens that you mention^^

A DSLR is like a whore, after you use one they are all the same, though some more expensive than others thumbsup.gif

there is some truth in that!

OP might keep the budget under control by buying a good camera that will last many years for example a D7100, along with a nikkor 18-140 lens which is small enough for the built-in flash to be used at wideangle, while the 18-200 lens would make a separate flash unit necessary.

D7100 + 18-140 lens is my winning suggestion for anyone serious about making "amazing photos" with a crop sensor DSLR on a small budget.

For shooting indoors, crop sensors don't let enough light in, so a separate flash unit is necessary anyways to bump the light off the walls and get that soft but sharp photo look.

Crop sensors (APS-C) accept all the light they're sent. It's the lens & aperture which allows the light in...not the sensor.

The 18-200 lens does not necessarily require a seperate flash...it all depends on how far the subject is away from

the "film plane". Then there's the aperture one is shooting at to deal with also. Any flash is almost worthless at

ranges exceeding 30-40 feet...even though there may be a useable image visible after the frame has been exposed.

But useable for what?

Since the OP is new to photography (DSLR photography) & currently has a budget for the 3200 I reckon the OP

should go with what he desires instead of being barraged with other, more expensive options. If the OP stays

with photography as a hobby then the OP can save up for a better bit of kit at a later time. The resale on 7xxx

series cameras is not that good at the end of the day...should the OP decide photography is not the OP's liking.

Another important point to remember...good quality additional lenses is where you will spend heaps of money.

One tends to keep lenses...bodies come & go as models change.

Thank you all very much for your advice and contribution.

I understand it comes from experienced and good photographers.

But before I get more confused and disappointed thinking of the vast amount of money I have to spend to get a good camera, I decided to go for this one for now.

I don't even know if this hobby will last and for how long.

You are very right what you all say but let me start with the basics and later I can upgrade.

Many Thanks to all of you and I will start posting my creations after I receive the camera.

Your advice and instructions for a better use will be always welcome.

Many Thanks again.

TP

The D5200 if you can stretch that far has the same sensor as the more expensive D7100 and both with the right user will take great photos.

The photograph depends upon you and a 5200 v 7100 with same glass = same same, minus some in camera stuff you may or may not use.

Possibly buy the body of your choice and get a 50 1.8D, use your legs as zoom.

Here's a pic from an inferior 10MP 2006 D80 with 50 1.8D...not the best pic I've took but just adding some fuel to the fire.

I've seen worse shots from a D4 body and pro glass.

DSC_2112-J_zpsvxukgzza.jpg

^ remember RW, that the 5200 lacks a pro grade AF system & has an AA filter to name but 2 big differences between these bodies . . . so that guy was not quite "talking out his a** " (chuckles that you removed that line in an edit)

but in general, i agree with you . . . i/you/anyone could get an equally great image from a Galaxy S3 phone as i might with the 7100. It aint about the cam . . . wink.png

^ nice one . . . i know you've been coveting it for a while. Don't forget the Tok 11-16 too! wink.png

Speaking of which...

I've had my camera equipment recently stolen from me, including the Canon 550D body, a Tamron 18-270 lens and a Tokina 11-16.

If you these anywhere for sale second hand, please inform me.

• 2 weeks later...

New camera just arrived.

Hip Hip Hurraaaaythumbsup.gif

At the moment I'm charging the battery.

g/f has been instructed to read the manual that is all in Thai.

If I learn how to use it then I can start creating my masterpieces.

Get ready to admireblink.png

Ps. Already started looking for other lenses on Lazada, I'll come back and ask your valuable advice.

New camera just arrived.

Hip Hip Hurraaaaythumbsup.gif

At the moment I'm charging the battery.

g/f has been instructed to read the manual that is all in Thai.

If I learn how to use it then I can start creating my masterpieces.

Get ready to admireblink.png

Ps. Already started looking for other lenses on Lazada, I'll come back and ask your valuable advice.

If you want the english manual, just pm me your email and I willsend it to you.

Archived