Cheap trick by alleged South Asian conmen works in Lampang

Thaivisa News

Lampang:- What appeared to be a cheap trick by alleged black conmen from a South Asian country caused a cake vendor in Lampang to lose Bt910 in cash and two pieces of cake.

And other vendors in the northern province told police that they have also fallen to the trick.

Mueang Lampang police said a couple of black man and woman from a South Asian country have been preying on foods and vegetable vendors in the Mueang and Hangchat districts.

The latest incident happened to Patcharee Rerngkasettakorn, 35, on Saturday. Patcharee has a small bakery shop near the Kelang Nakhornram Hospital.

She told police that the South Asian couple came to her shop and selected two pieces of cakes that were Bt90 worth.

Patcharee said the couple gave her a Bt1,000 bank note and spoke in English, bargaining for a discount. But she insisted that the price was right so the couple put back the two pieces of cake into the cake cupboard and she returned the banknote to them.

But after a while, the couple walked to the cupboard again and took two pieces out and showed them to her and asked for a change.

Patcharee said she was busy and confused so she gave them a change of Bt910 and two left the shop immediately.

Once the two got out, Patcharee realized that she has fallen victim to the couple because she had earlier returned the banknote to them.

She rushed out of the shop but it was too late. The two were nowhere in sight so she called police.

Quote "Patcharee said she was busy and confused so she gave them a change of Bt910 and two left the shop immediately" cheesy.gif

"busy and confused" = more classic Thainess

Depending on how busy the shop was and how long she was working.. this is quite possible. Some people actually have to rush in their job and make mistakes.

I guess you never made a mistake in your life.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Quote "Patcharee said she was busy and confused so she gave them a change of Bt910 and two left the shop immediately" cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3- alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

Depending on how busy the shop was and how long she was working.. this is quite possible. Some people actually have to rush in their job and make mistakes.

It's hard enough to get a refund once in Thailand, yet the "busy and confused" assistant refunded twice. Do you think refunds occur often in a cake shop?

??? How could she forget them, not local "people of coloured" , tried to haggle the price on cake, then returned the cake... and she forgot this ??? ok. ...

Up until a few years ago Iodine deficiency was a real problem and the effects of that will show for quite awhile longer.

I don't believe this story. She gave the correct change, impossible.

I'm surprised she had change of a thousand. How many times do you get asked for small money as the smaller shops don't seem to have a float of change?

Quote "Patcharee said she was busy and confused so she gave them a change of Bt910 and two left the shop immediately" cheesy.gif

Probably never worked in their lives to make a mistake.

Someone gets cheated and the bashers immediately have a go at the one who has been cheated. Thai haters at their worst.

Edited by Robby nz

African Grifters in Lampang!?

Crikey, what's next?

Geographically speaking, where do Africans come into this story?

South Asians are usually Indians, Sri Lankans or Bangladeshis .

And there are plenty of very dark skinned people in all those lands. Thailand too has its own dark hued population.

Easy. Just get the police to round up and shake down every Indian in and around Lampang. Im sure if they looked inside the suspects baan they would find gtreat caches of stolen cake and piles of bank notes.

What a photo op for the bib that would be!

Well thank you so much to Thai Visa ......................another stunning breaking news exclusive from the No News Team!!

Guys, get your cvs off to Reuters immediately, your journalism is quite exceptional.

How many Africans are in Lampang do you think?

Not exactly crime of the century...but should no be too hard to find them.

Cake's gone, however.

Article stated that the couple came from South Asia. Africa is not there, it is in Africa

Well you can get confused taking money from customers all the time and giving change. When I was very young they taught me to keep the bill the customer gave me in my hand whilst giving him the change. Because 1) he cannot claim he gave you a 1000 Bongo bill whilst actually it was a 500 and 2) putting the 1000 Bongo bill on the table is dangerous, he could take it back plus the change. (happens more often than you would think).

Having played the cash sales game for over 40 years now, it can still occur I get confused, there is many things happening at the same time, people asking questions, telephone ringing and so on.

So I don't think the pastry lady was stupid, if you have never worked in a busy retail sales situation yourself it might be more difficult to understand.