SURVEY: What Is the Main Deterrent to Living in Thailand?

Scott

What is the main deterrent to living in Thailand?  

577 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My (Thai) wife informed me recently that she never wants to live in Thailand again - just short visits.

I used to want to live there full time - and now I see, said the blind manthumbsup.gif..that

3-4 months a year is more than plenty,

for about a million and one different reasons..

(once THAT is out of your systemgiggle.gif )

whip-clipart-rg-cartoon-1c.png

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Naam:

according to German government, dual nationality is possible since December 20, 2014:

http://m.bundesregierung.de/Content/DE/Artikel/IB/Artikel/Staatsangehoerigkeitskampagne/2014-12-16-kampagne-heimat-oder-herkunft.html

You're right, it's not limited to EU citizens.

Thais that have been to school in Germany for at least 6 years can now also get dual nationality.

I cant find any. Thailand definitely provides more pros compared to cons. People who are used to a western way of life might find Thailand behind in many levels, but for me thats not the case.

Economic factors? Hell no, its just so much cheaper to live here.

Lifestyle issues? No way, I feel as free as a bird here.

Safety? Its as safe as any western city as long as you use common sense.

Lack of acceptance into the thai society? I dont wanna be part of the Thai society, as long as we respect our differences its all good.

when I get older and start to experience age related medical issues, most of my health care options are back in the US

This is my main objection to fully retiring in Thailand, other than that, most other objections are easily managed.

when I get older and start to experience age related medical issues, most of my health care options are back in the US

This is my main objection to fully retiring in Thailand, other than that, most other objections are easily managed.

USA, 98,000 people were dying every year from preventable errors in hospitals. That came from a widely touted analysis by the Institute of Medicine (IOM) called To Err Is Human.

As it turns out, those were the good old days.

According to a new study just out from the prestigious Journal of Patient Safety, four times as many people die from preventable medical errors than we thought, as many as 440,000 a year.

With these latest revelations, medical errors now claim the spot as the third leading cause of death in the United States,

http://www.forbes.com/sites/leahbinder/2013/09/23/stunning-news-on-preventable-deaths-in-hospitals/

I'm staying in Thailand.

Edited by lostoday

USA, 98,000 people were dying every year from preventable errors in hospitals. That came from a widely touted analysis by the Institute of Medicine (IOM) called To Err Is Human.

According to a new study just out from the prestigious Journal of Patient Safety, four times as many people die from preventable medical errors than we thought, as many as 440,000 a year.

With these latest revelations, medical errors now claim the spot as the third leading cause of death in the United States,

http://www.forbes.com/sites/leahbinder/2013/09/23/stunning-news-on-preventable-deaths-in-hospitals/

I'm staying in Thailand.

Thailand where medical errors are rare? That;s probably why people all over the world when needing the latest advances in medical care, they opt to go to Thailand instead of the US.

But regardless. My medical insurance is in the US, I can not buy medical insurance in Thailand that will cover pre-existing conditions, and the insurance I can buy will probably not be renewed after a certain age

I'm staying in Thailand.

Thailand where medical errors are rare? That;s probably why people all over the world when needing the latest advances in medical care, they opt to go to Thailand instead of the US.

But regardless. My medical insurance is in the US, I can not buy medical insurance in Thailand that will cover pre-existing conditions, and the insurance I can buy will probably not be renewed after a certain age

I think the rich Arab people that I see in the hospital could go anywhere but they come to Thailand. I've been in the hospital in both Thailand and the USA and Thailand is better (My opinion - heart problems).

Insurance is personal so can't discuss. Is free care better than no care at all?

What is the third leading cause of death in America?

In Europe doctors advised me to get through expensive surgery therapies. I refused, decided for minimal invasive therapies, and now in Thailand I need no therapies at all.

Farang health insurances could really make a good deal if they would accept Thai medicine as an equal alternative to Farang medicine.

In Europe I would be a crippple now (both physically and mentally) if I would have surrendered to these medical experts with all their machines and personal careers in their minds, in Thailand I'm a happy dancer.

Another reason not to go back.

Edited by micmichd

I'm staying in Thailand.

I think the rich Arab people that I see in the hospital could go anywhere but they come to Thailand. I've been in the hospital in both Thailand and the USA and Thailand is better (My opinion - heart problems).

Insurance is personal so can't discuss. Is free care better than no care at all?

Poverty?

I find it difficult to believe you all presumably live in Thailand and all you can do is make slights at the country that is your host, criticize everything Thai and then 'look down' at Thai people.

You should return for a visit to your home countries and possibly think again.

Road accidents, scams, corruption and suicides.....everyday and every country.....why bitch about Thailand?

Sorry to generalize but most of you fail to try to understand Thai culture and Thai people......while claiming some moral high ground as in an old colony of the British.

You obviously don't understand what is happening on TV general forum. People that are happy here rarely feel impelled to come on and tell us how wonderful it is, so it's a bit one sided. Feel free to start a thread about good things in Thailand.

I for one prefer Thailand to "back 'ome", but it doesn't mean that I see LOS through the saffron tinted glasses, and feel the need to vent sometimes. Where else can I do that? Don't know any farangs where I live, and not going to slag off Thailand to my wife.

Why is there always one halfwit who cannot see the irony of bitching about other people who bitch about Thailand.It's very simple read this slowly...if you think that it is ok to bitch about things YOU don't like then it's ok for everyone else to bitch about what they want to bitch about.It's called freedom of speech moron...do not get on these forums if you don't agree with freedom of speech!Simple1

I find it difficult to believe you all presumably live in Thailand and all you can do is make slights at the country that is your host, criticize everything Thai and then 'look down' at Thai people.

Road accidents, scams, corruption and suicides.....everyday and every country.....why bitch about Thailand?

Sorry to generalize but most of you fail to try to understand Thai culture and Thai people......while claiming some moral high ground as in an old colony of the British.

You obviously don't understand what is happening on TV general forum. People that are happy here rarely feel impelled to come on and tell us how wonderful it is, so it's a bit one sided. Feel free to start a thread about good things in Thailand.

I for one prefer Thailand to "back 'ome", but it doesn't mean that I see LOS through the saffron tinted glasses, and feel the need to vent sometimes. Where else can I do that? Don't know any farangs where I live, and not going to slag off Thailand to my wife.

You don't have any friends you can talk to, and you married someone you can't have an honest conversation with?

Wow. Hell of a live you've carved out for yourself there.

You don't have any friends you can talk to, and you married someone you can't have an honest conversation with?

An honest conversation with your wife? Most of the people I know are just happy they don't talk in their sleep.biggrin.png

I'm staying in Thailand.

My mother in law kept going to the clinic in Thailand complaining that she did not feel well, they keep giving her Tylenol and sending her home.

now she is in Renal failure and on dialysis, the Tylenol destroyed what little kidney function she had.

In her case, no care would had being better, But I agree with you free care is better than no care at all for most people.

I also have heart problems,I was always very healthy, always 5'10'' and 165 lbs, always ate healthy, then one day at a routine physical a heart murmur was detected,upon further investigation, we discover I was born with a bicuspid valve so,

Aortic Valve replacement , cost $240,000 at one of the worlds top heart care facilities, my insurance payed everything.

Now because of the operation I might need a pace-maker, I am being treated by a top notch team, a heart monitor chip has being implanted under the skin near my heart, it records every heart beat, and rate, and via a cell connection sends the info to my doctors office. We will monitor the situation for three months to determine if I will need a pace maker, and if I do , I will get the latest , MRI safe pacemaker .

again All at no cost to me

If I was in Thailand, I dont know this for a fact, but I think I would be dead.

I will admite, I know very little about Medical care in Thailand and I am willing to learn, I appreciate any advise and info.

But I don't think I could get insurance there, Any insurance I get will not cover any of my preexisting conditions, and from what I have being told, most private insurances drop you after age 65

I would like nothing more than to be wrong, I love Thailand, I have enough money to have a very nice place there, and a reasonable pension when I retire.We own two pieces of property , We would do very well there

But not enough to self insure I am afraid, one major medical event such as the one I described above could wipe me out financially, or worst I could loose my life.

When I retire, six months in US, take care of medical issues, spend time with my daughter, and other family members, and Six months in Thailand, maybe more time in Thailand and less time in the US or vice versa.Time will tell.That;s my plan

And that's my main deterrent to living full time in Thailand.

If you think I'm going to slag Thailand off to my wife, you are delusional.

I'm happy with the life I have, and I don't need friends to complain about Thailand- I get to do it on TV forum biggrin.png .

Thailand is not a good place if your have heart and eyes problems.

I have seen people being treated for eyes and finished blind.

in Thailand they don't cure you, they fix you . when it comes to the extreme tech of Medicine, better stay away from Thailand.

Edited by VIPinthailand

If you think I'm going to slag Thailand off to my wife, you are delusional.

I'm happy with the life I have, and I don't need friends to complain about Thailand- I get to do it on TV forum biggrin.png .

If there was not laws against it, I'd be all for it.

Thailand is not a good place if your have heart and eyes problems.

I have seen people being treated for eyes and finished blind.

in Thailand they don't cure you, they fix you . when it comes to the extreme tech of Medicine, better stay away from Thailand.

Quite a number on Thai Visa who would disagree with you in the health forum. Thailand is a leader in medical tourism too. Check out third leading cause of death in USA, http://www.hospitalsafetyscore.org/newsroom/display/hospitalerrors-thirdleading-causeofdeathinus-improvementstooslow, and you will know why I'm in Thailand.

I would be crippled or dead from Western Hi-Tech medicine if I would have followed all the advices from German hospitals.

But that's a deterrent to going back.

The main deterrent to stay in Thailand is probably the visa procedure.

The requirement to keep money in a bank account could be a deterrent to investments here.

Edited by micmichd

I did not vote. Id say the greatest deterrent is easily the Immigration visa and visa processing issues within the country. To a lesser extent, ridiculous requirements when applying outside. We are all tourists or on temporary stay - unlesd you are on a three month B visa/extens. All temporary - not very welcoming.

No perm residency, but you can pay a huge sum for a vip visa. This just looks (and is) SO bad. Residency should be granted after 3.5 years of marriage or seven years as a single. Citizenship thru marriage like all civilized countries.

Home ownership (and without wife making claim when funds come from abroad). We might go back to US if my wife wants a home bad enough (spend winters here). I love her and trust her but I'm not putting an 8milo thb home in her name!

Business. Its one thing to protect factory jobs but its ridiculous not to allow a foreigner to own a small business and teach here with a proper BA degree. As westerners we lose a lot of hobbies and pastimes moving here often times. Thailand just doesn't see how that businesses buys things, contributes to economy and in/directly employs people. Same with teaching. Certify the teacher has a degree from a proper school, clean record and let them contribute teaching convo English, western social studies. Especially if they hold ANY type of prior credential. Just idiocy.

People whining about the dangers in the street. Lol, you must be old and decrepit. Next you'll want them to change which side of street they drive on. Yeah, it angers me too and I don't even drive. Not gonna change.

Finally, Medicine and doctors suck so hard here (dentistry is good). If I had health issues, I would keep my home country insurance and a ticket back. Oh the horror stories we all have...but still the old men arrive by the plane load. You must manage your own health here, fully.

Here's one not mentioned that impacts us all. Farang can be specific targets of crime and seemingly the govt is ok with this. Its not we are special, but we are often singled out. Propose doubling the penalty of offense if victim is foreign. Will help with tourism. Also have a special Federal court.

I think there is really no barrier to people coming. Planeloads landing daily to live the dream. But I also know many turn tail after a few mos, years and then like myself decades - when the place becomes home, but that home is not welcoming.

The visa extension process REALLY must be improved.

Edited by Rocketsurgeon

To all the persons thinking people come here for medical care, they don't. Wealthy persons from MENA go to Bumrumgrad which is US accred and just as expensive. They might go to US or any other country if they could get visas!

Thailand is great for minor stuff. First aid, dengue... Doctors imo lack analytic skills to both diagnose and treat illness. Hospital equipment not up to date and doctors are just obsessed with perscribing medicines that people don't need and may even be harmful. Thus is a very serious problem here.

They also seemingly don't really care if you die honestly. It impacts their business and conscious nill.

Medical care in Europe might stop beyond a certain age. The highest representative of doctors in Germany, Karsten Vilmar, called it 'social adequate early death' ('sozialvertraegliches Fruehableben'), and it's a program.

To all the persons thinking people come here for medical care, they don't. Wealthy persons from MENA go to Bumrumgrad which is US accred and just as expensive. They might go to US or any other country if they could get visas!

Thailand is great for minor stuff. First aid, dengue... Doctors imo lack analytic skills to both diagnose and treat illness. Hospital equipment not up to date and doctors are just obsessed with perscribing medicines that people don't need and may even be harmful. Thus is a very serious problem here.

They also seemingly don't really care if you die honestly. It impacts their business and conscious nill.

Have you ever received any critical care in a Thai hospital?

True story about eye care for Lostoday. Explored having lasik done in usa. was told I would still have to wear glasses either for reading or distance. passed on the surgery. Moved to pattaya, got tired of wearing glasses, so decided to try lasik again and partner decides he wants it done, too. went to the supercenter at Bangkok pattaya hospital. doctor took his time and gave me good exam and said he can correct my eyes for distance and reading. my partner and I both decide to have the surgery. the surgery goes well but after it is done my close vision isn't good. doctor says this is normal and try not to use reading glasses and if I do, only #1 correction. he said it was important to let the eyes heal and adjust. it sounded like fooey to me and I prepared myself to have to use reading glasses. but, guess, what? everything the doctor said came true. my vision did adjust after a few weeks and two years later I have 20/20 vision in one eye and 20/40 in the other and can read even the smallest print as long as the light is good. same with partner--excellent result, too. just two experiences but not all care here is bad.

My (Thai) wife informed me recently that she never wants to live in Thailand again - just short visits.

I used to want to live there full time - and now I see, said the blind manthumbsup.gif..that

3-4 months a year is more than plenty,

for about a million and one different reasons..

(once THAT is out of your systemgiggle.gif )

From your wife's point of view I understand. From your point of view I understand that you have never lived in Thailand.

I think many people go through learning phases. It is easy to criticize something you have never done.

Australia has a wide variety of poisonous things (I think more than any other country). Thailand has a wide variety of females that are available (I think more than any other country).

No accounting for taste. Each to their own.

Are you referring to prostitutes?

If not, I beg to differ.

There's infinitely more in places like the Phil's or Indo and with fewer requirements

I think the demographic crunch is starting to show in Thailand

He came to be a utilizer of prostitutes and left an honest man.

Splendid feat, indeed, enslavement of the little man. But sometimes defects in ones manhood are well masked, but rarely truly cured.