SURVEY: What Is the Main Deterrent to Living in Thailand?

Scott

What is the main deterrent to living in Thailand?  

577 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To nongai. I agree with you totally. I don't have too many issues at all with living in Thailand, certainly none of the dot points in the survey questionnaire. The visa requirements and extensions are a pain, I am sure they could overhaul and streamline the process. One thing that does puzzle me is the fact that farang on marriage or retirement extensions are not allowed to work in any way including mentoring. Everyone in my village wants me to help their kids with learning to speak English. I am told I cannot do this, even if I did this for free. I cannot assist my neighbour to fix his fence, fix his car or any other skills I have.

If you really live in village you can do all these things.I mean teaching and helping. Nobody cares. I know this for surerolleyes.gif. But I guess officially it is illegal . One of your students have to be a son of local policemanbiggrin.png. Don't take it wrong. I agree with your post and understand it.

private medical care is the only problem here, when one is old.However one needs to put money to one side just in case

I solve this problem by another way..Just married with doctor in one of the best hospital of Thailand!

What was the Sinsod if you don't mind me asking.

I stay up north and I'm able to do any work I feel like, build fences, help with rice harvest, whatever.

I stay up north too. And in my small town can do every kind of work. Police know about me."No problem Alex!" Nice people.

The more educated one is, in this case regarding living in Thailand as a foreigner, the more realistic one's expectations will be.

For me the most detrimental aspect of it (I don't think 'deterrent to living in Thailand' really works!) is the lack of pubs selling draught ale.

Thanks a lot! Now I know for sure I'm very good educated personbiggrin.png ! Because I never considered Thailand to be a paradise. Just very nice and beautiful country for living in. And I knew that it will be not easy to get some cheese and freshly brewed beer here.So..No deterrents!

since many years allready, i think it is time to pack and go....i am just waiting to get my investment back and i'll live for sure.

thailand dont offer at all that kind of life they always try to sell to us.

here it is only a matter of money! nothing else....as a foreigner you are a farang or whatever they want to call you depending where you are from...a walking wallet who has a reason to be here only if you can afford it.

sorry for the bad news!coffee1.gif

It's really bad news that you're leaving...Or is it just bad news for you?

private medical care is the only problem here, when one is old.However one needs to put money to one side just in case

I solve this problem by another way..Just married with doctor in one of the best hospital of Thailand!

What was the Sinsod if you don't mind me asking.

Don't mind. 0 baht. She has her own nice big house with huge backyard and not bad job. So...Yes, some money were shown at wedding. But her Mom everything give back.Oh,forget.. And I bought some gold! Gold didn't come back to merolleyes.gif

Main drawback to living in Thailand!!

Bloody clowns who have no respect consideration for other road users.

Yes look at what happened to you Colin. I have to deal with these crazy drivers every day.... Its a bloody nightmare.

Absolutely the way they drive, their lack of consideration and their lack of care. Tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, all at high speeds. Running red lights. They are the reason that these roads are so dangerous.

My main issue is there are so many c*nts here. Just went to Tesco Express at midnight, there were like six of us in the store. I was ready to pay standing in line at the cashier, a group of three thais in front of me paying. The other two Thais still shopping. So the other two finish shopping and try to sneak in front of me, as if being Thai means they could join the other group of Thais and cut in front. I had to move forward and squeeze up on the three thais in front,. Given there were only 6 of us in the huge store it was kind of awkward for everyone. So five minutes pass and I eased the distance a bit, but paying was taking a long time. So the two thais tried again! Thinking maybe I didn't notice this time. What the f ??

Edited by tuonsai

None of the above categories. I moved out of tourist areas several years ago.

My life since then has been fantastic.

Cost of housing try 1 mil: bht for a 5 double bedroom 6 wet room place was 6 bedroom but have changed one to a western style kitchen.

Other cost are Thai prices not the over inflated ones some have to fork out.

Xenophobia and the likes doesn't exist here, in fact on the contrary the locals go out of their way to welcome you in.

Driving on roads where I live are a doddle not to much traffic well only on holiday weekends.

Regards the Visa if you have the right amount of monies and requirements all is easy.

A trip once a year to the office how simple can that be.

People make their own problems go with the flow Thai fashion get away from tourists areas and you will find your life will improve 500%

Off now have just had my BKK Post delivered.

I'm guessing you have a Thai spouse? Not all expats want one. Nor do we want to reside (i hesitate to use the word 'live') in the boonies. As to the visa issue, fact is the more 'farang' the increased likelihood of being driven to 'visa agents' with whom the fee is shared. I understand you live in the jungle, but perhaps a trip outside now and again, will enable you to post on a general 'expat' forum with the benefit of a wider perspective.

all I know is that many farangs are now leaving Thailand because they were working without a wp

and the result is many business are shutting down.

in 3 years Thailand will be a dead place with closed shopping malls , empty streets, and vacant buildings

(same as empty Chinese towns)

all I know is that many farangs are now leaving Thailand because they were working without a wp

in 3 years Thailand will be a dead place with closed shopping malls , empty streets, and vacant buildings

If you were working in Thailand without a WP you were borderline retarded so that can only mean a boost to the Farang total intelligence remaining in the country. I only now one American who works without a WP and that's because he gave up his American citizenship and became a Thai citizen. He owns a Minor corp in Thailand.

Cost of housing try 1 mil: bht for a 5 double bedroom 6 wet room place was 6 bedroom but have changed one to a western style kitchen.

Xenophobia and the likes doesn't exist here, in fact on the contrary the locals go out of their way to welcome you in.

Driving on roads where I live are a doddle not to much traffic well only on holiday weekends.

Regards the Visa if you have the right amount of monies and requirements all is easy.

People make their own problems go with the flow Thai fashion get away from tourists areas and you will find your life will improve 500%

Pity HAVING to live in a village isn't on the survey. Nothing would make me leave LOS faster. The occasional visit is as much as I can take.

That would be great. I could then afford to go stay on one of those nice beaches that have been overpriced for years now. Hope it happens soon.

Those who complain about visa issues here should have a look at Farang visa conditions for Thais.

Maybe it's impossible for low class Thais to go to the West, but as soon as they get high skills or marry a foreigner the door is open for them to become full class citizens within 10 years, or even less like in the US, you can get a green card after a couple years then citizenship just by doing nothing and waiting 5 years. There's nothing like that in Thailand. The visa rules amount to harrassment, but of course they offer you the chance to buy it out with the Thai elite visa. The thai way is just stupid and I consider the elite visa corruption.

Not so easy in Germany where they don't allow dual nationalities.

To be poor doesn't necessarily mean uneducated or without skills. But for an Isaan girl it's a horror trip, Isaan girls that are not married are generally suspect for prostitution. That's the result of Thai bashing in Europe.

Not so easy in Germany where they don't allow dual nationalities.

To be poor doesn't necessarily mean uneducated or without skills. But for an Isaan girl it's a horror trip, Isaan girls that are not married are generally suspect for prostitution. That's the result of Thai bashing in Europe.

Germany does allow dual nationality,my 30 year old daughter born in Germany, mother German, father British has both nationalities

Sorry, I was not up to date anymore. They changed German nationality law recently and now allow dual nationalality for EU citizens in certain cases.

No change for Thai immigrants though, Thai family members still need a special permit if they want to stay in Germany.

Sorry, I was not up to date anymore. They changed German nationality law recently and now allow dual nationalality for EU citizens in certain cases.

No change for Thai immigrants though, Thai family members still need a special permit if they want to stay in Germany.

the law tv-member soalbundy referred too was not changed recently but exists since the early 1980s and in his case refers only to children born to one German parent on or after jan1 1979.

recently changes were that dual nationality is under certain circumstances possible but not limited to EU countries.

Unter bestimmten Voraussetzungen kann eine doppelte Staatsbürgerschaft entstehen. Diese unterscheiden sich je nach Art der Einbürgerung.

http://www.einbuergerungstest.biz/einbuergerung-allgemein/doppelte-staatsbuergerschaft

I find it difficult to believe you all presumably live in Thailand and all you can do is make slights at the country that is your host, criticize everything Thai and then 'look down' at Thai people.

You should return for a visit to your home countries and possibly think again.

Road accidents, scams, corruption and suicides.....everyday and every country.....why bitch about Thailand?

Sorry to generalize but most of you fail to try to understand Thai culture and Thai people......while claiming some moral high ground as in an old colony of the British.

I'm guessing you have a Thai spouse? Not all expats want one. Nor do we want to reside (i hesitate to use the word 'live') in the boonies. As to the visa issue, fact is the more 'farang' the increased likelihood of being driven to 'visa agents' with whom the fee is shared. I understand you live in the jungle, but perhaps a trip outside now and again, will enable you to post on a general 'expat' forum with the benefit of a wider perspective.

just because some of us live in the boonies as you put it, dosnt mean we havnt lived in other places,

i chose to live in the village i could live anywere in thailand but the village is fine by me,

ive lived and worked in bkk, you can keep that, ive lived and worked in between rayong and pattaya, you can keep that too,

so i think i do have a good understanding of what is going on in thailand, and can voice my opinion as you put it, in a general expat forum,

My (Thai) wife informed me recently that she never wants to live in Thailand again - just short visits.

I used to want to live there full time - and now I see, said the blind manthumbsup.gif..that

3-4 months a year is more than plenty,

for about a million and one different reasons..

(once THAT is out of your systemgiggle.gif )

the law tv-member soalbundy referred too was not changed recently but exists since the early 1980s and in his case refers only to children born to one German parent on or after jan1 1979.

recently changes were that dual nationality is under certain circumstances possible but not limited to EU countries.

Unter bestimmten Voraussetzungen kann eine doppelte Staatsbürgerschaft entstehen. Diese unterscheiden sich je nach Art der Einbürgerung.

http://www.einbuergerungstest.biz/einbuergerung-allgemein/doppelte-staatsbuergerschaft

My (Thai) wife informed me recently that she never wants to live in Thailand again - just short visits.

I used to want to live there full time - and now I see, said the blind manthumbsup.gif..that

3-4 months a year is more than plenty,

for about a million and one different reasons..

(once THAT is out of your systemgiggle.gif )

From your wife's point of view I understand. From your point of view I understand that you have never lived in Thailand.

I think many people go through learning phases. It is easy to criticize something you have never done.

Australia has a wide variety of poisonous things (I think more than any other country). Thailand has a wide variety of females that are available (I think more than any other country).

No accounting for taste. Each to their own.