gas stove and pressure regulator

bod

I bought a rather cheapish gas stove (brand name "Otto") and at the same time the salesman also sold me a " pressure regulator". At home I discovered that on the front plate of the gas stove was written, both in English and Thai : "Forbidden : Don't use high pressure regulator".

When I asked the salesman about the regulator he couldn't give me a satisfactory answer.

What could be the reason why the (Thai) company has written that instruction on the front plate? And can gas stoves be used without a gas pressure regulator, and without danger?

Edited by bod

No you cannot use a gas stove without a pressure regulator,

as it also acts as a one way valve,which prevents the flame

entering the gas bottle and causing an explosion.

Not sure if the normal pressure regulator is HIGH pressure

or not,or if there is another regulator which is high pressure,

maybe better to check with a gas selling shop,as I am sure

they will be able to give you the correct answer.

regards Worgeordie

The salesman probably didn't know because I have never heard of a "high pressure" regulator. The purpose of the standard regulator is to reduce the LPG so that it will mix with the air in the venturi tubes to give you the correct gas to air mix

I think that you are making too much out of the warning. If you are that concerned then I would take both back to the store and have the salesperson fire up for you, it will either work or not work

No, you cannot use the stove without a regulator since it will be a sure safety hazard; the hint is in the word regulator

Just checked and the regulator you will have been sold will be

a low pressure regulator,High pressure usual been sold for

very large gas bottles,Oxygen,CO2, etc. so you will be OK.

Hope it came with Jubilee clips,to tighten the pipe to inlet

on stove and to the regulator.

regards worgeordie

Quite certain he was supplied with a "regular" low pressure regulator. The warning says not to use a "high pressure" regulator, not "don't use a regulator, period".

I have a high pressure regulator for my exterior wok burner. You could weld steel with that flame :)

When we went to the store that sells and refills the gas bottles to buy a bottle of gas they asked us which regulator we needed?... We did not know so when the guy delivered the gas tank he brought both regulators and fitted the correct one...

Just checked and the regulator you will have been sold will be

a low pressure regulator,High pressure usual been sold for

very large gas bottles,Oxygen,CO2, etc. so you will be OK.

Hope it came with Jubilee clips,to tighten the pipe to inlet

on stove and to the regulator.

regards worgeordie

Yes, I've indeed been sold a "low pressure regulator" and not a "high pressure regulator". I didn't mention that in my OP because they look more or less the same on the internet. And I thought : a regulator which regulates from high to low, and from low to high, so another word for the same device! What a fool I am...

Anyway, glad that the problem has been solved knowing that I can safely use this "low pressure regulator" in combination with the included Jubliee clips.

When we went to the store that sells and refills the gas bottles to buy a bottle of gas they asked us which regulator we needed?... We did not know so when the guy delivered the gas tank he brought both regulators and fitted the correct one...

BTW - It was the low pressure one we needed... And I left the room when he first tested it thumbsup.gif

BTW - It was the low pressure one we needed... And I left the room when he first tested it thumbsup.gif

The output pressure is very low - it will push a column of water up 15cm.

Some scam merchant going door to door once tried to sell me a high pressure hose, which was totally unnecessary. Always use LPG rated hose, as gas will leak out through rubber and some PVC tubing.

I am going to mention what i consider the most important feature....actually amazed no post above mentions it.

The regulator should have a safety button on it.

Each and every time you want to use the gas you turn the bottle tap thrn you release the pressure button. I think they cost 450all in with hosepipes. Cheaper ones 300.

This ensures you dont get gas leaks either from a worn hose; your cooking stove; or poor hose to regulator and stove connections.

Not as essential if your cooking facility is outside but imperative for bottles and stoves inside the house.....otherwise

........BOOOOM !!

I am going to mention what i consider the most important feature....actually amazed no post above mentions it.

The regulator should have a safety button on it.

Each and every time you want to use the gas you turn the bottle tap thrn you release the pressure button. I think they cost 450all in with hosepipes. Cheaper ones 300.

This ensures you dont get gas leaks either from a worn hose; your cooking stove; or poor hose to regulator and stove connections.

Not as essential if your cooking facility is outside but imperative for bottles and stoves inside the house.....otherwise

........BOOOOM !!

Not sure my regulator has a safety button on it...how does it look like?

Edited by bod

This is an example. See the button just after the wheel screw which attatches to the gas bottle.post-150623-14313251010367_thumb.jpg

Sell them in makro and tesco and big c. With gas hose or without.

As i say the price difference about 150bt.

Worth the extra.

I would advocate also to get in thr habit of turning thr gas off at the bottle after every use.

Even if you only turn it off halfway the safety check valve will be a back up to stop leakage.

have professionals check it out

And where does one find such a person in Thailand? coffee1.gif

Yes of course; its easier to find a chicken with teeth than find a suitably qualified registered gas installer.

However there is no need for that. You will find the better gas regulators here are western made or Japanese made and imported with their "British Standard logo" for example.

If its full of Chinese writing or Thai writing you can safely assume its not safe (enough for us)

Yes of course; its easier to find a chicken with teeth than find a suitably qualified registered gas installer.

However there is no need for that. You will find the better gas regulators here are western made or Japanese made and imported with their "British Standard logo" for example.

If its full of Chinese writing or Thai writing you can safely assume its not safe (enough for us)

I have never heard much about gas explosions in Chiang Mai. Do they happen? I guess most Thai families don't go for "British Standard" gas regulators.

I have never heard much about gas explosions in Chiang Mai. Do they happen? I guess most Thai families don't go for "British Standard" gas regulators.

Gas explosions are rare because most places get burned down by poor electrical wiring first.:rolleyes:

Actually both home fires and cooking gas are seldom a problem here. As bad as electrical wiring often is it is not often the cause of fires as most homes do not burn that easily and and are not full of flammable materials. Most Thai cook outside, or at least have open rooms, so gas does not present much of an explosive danger. Even in cars where it is sometimes an issue normally it is only a fire hazard.

Can the better gas regulators also be bought at Makro, Tesco or Big C?

Edited by bod

Can the better gas regulators also be bought at Makro, Tesco or Big C?

Read my post 14 again the answer is revealed.