Teenage suspected terrorist appears in Australian court

webfact

Teenage suspected terrorist appears in Australian court

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — A 17-year-old boy arrested last week when police allegedly found three homemade bombs in his family home in Australia's second-largest city appeared in a children's court on Monday charged with terrorism offenses.

The boy, who as a juvenile suspect cannot be publicly identified, was remanded in custody after a brief court appearance in a Melbourne Children's Court during which he was charged with planning a terrorist act somewhere in Victoria state and with possessing items connected with a terrorist act.

He faces a potential sentence of life in prison if convicted.

The boy did not enter a plea and did not apply for bail. He will appear next on May 26.

The boy sat in the dock flanked by police during the hearing. None of the boy's family appeared to be in the courtroom.

The son of a Syrian-born doctor was arrested Friday outside his home in the Melbourne suburb of Glenvale in a police counterterrorism operation. Police bomb squad destroyed three explosive devises found in the house.

Police have said an attack was imminent, but have not said where or when the suspect planned to detonate the bombs.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-05-11

My brother was involved in that raid. The father has made a complaint that his son was set up and he has also made a formal complaint in regards to excessive force as his little boy was restrained with cable ties and made to sit on the damp grass.

My brother was involved in that raid. The father has made a complaint that his son was set up and he has also made a formal complaint in regards to excessive force as his little boy was restrained with cable ties and made to sit on the damp grass.

that poor kid must have been tormented. If it was the Americans, they'd have leveled his front door, flash banged his whole family and arrested everyone.

that poor kid must have been tormented. If it was the Americans, they'd have leveled his front door, flash banged his whole family and arrested everyone.

Providing they had the correct address, of course.

Think you're confusing the 17 year old with Harun Causevic, 18, who father alleged a set up. Haven't seen any media report that father of the 17 year old has made a formal complaint of excessive force, got a link?

Think you're confusing the 17 year old with Harun Causevic, 18, who father alleged a set up. Haven't seen any media report that father of the 17 year old has made a formal complaint of excessive force, got a link?

got it from the brother who is involved in it.

When I was 17 I was experimenting with nitro-glycerine trying to prove myself that I am doing progress in chemistry which was terrible subject for me because of lack of understanding. It has happened in communistic time of some European country where I could be punished by the law but definately not as terrorist against USSR..... This days probably Australia would treat me like those young fellows .... to plant me some black fabric would be not a problem.... Society must not forget that they must keep up be scared... as long some people need it to continue for own reasons. Always I wander why .. I do not get another or full story ....from Media.... always same....

Edited by Scott

The security agencies were tipped off, who then monitored & arrested the 17 year old; probable he's guilty and will face up to life in prison. However, you might be interested to review Section 35P of Australian anti terrorism legislation.

Edited by simple1

Fair enough.

The security agencies were tipped off, who then monitored & arrested the 17 year old; probable he's guilty and will face up to life in prison. However, you might be interested to review Section 35P of Australian anti terrorism legislation.

It's Victorian kiddies court, he will probably get 12 months tops in a youth training centre where he will finish his high school studies.

It's Victorian kiddies court, he will probably get 12 months tops in a youth training centre where he will finish his high school studies.

Very few people are big on finding or reading statute books so I won't know much about Section 35P which will be fine.

If anyway the stupid kid does get something like 12 months in a youth training center or some such place and continues to demonstrate unlimited and unmitigated stupidity, give him 12 years or so somewhere else in Oz with an annual review.

So far he's a stupid kid.

So let's see.

Restraining with cable ties is usually done for mass arrests or when the individual has wrists too small for handcuffs. Perhaps the poor tyke should have been asked to squat so his precious bottom would not be subjected to the damp grass.

A quick check of his computer browser history may determine if he was set up by the police...

Kick the Whole Family out and let them go home where they belong which is not in Aus

Where are they from?
Syria

Well as he is a minor he wont be sent back anyway. His family wont be sent back considerig the turmoil there, though there is no legal basis to send family members away.

Very few people are big on finding or reading statute books so I won't know much about Section 35P which will be fine.

If anyway the stupid kid does get something like 12 months in a youth training center or some such place and continues to demonstrate unlimited and unmitigated stupidity, give him 12 years or so somewhere else in Oz with an annual review.

So let's see.

The guy is being charged under anti terrorism legislation. If found guilty no way he would be given a light sentence.

"Terrorism" is a political label used by those in power. One's terrorist is another one's freedom fighter. Menachem Begin: was he a terrorist or not?

"Terrorists" may have a clear point of view, and it might be a logical process why they ended up this way. You can't expect a fair investigation or trial in a hate-loaden atmosphere. That's why cases like this should be handed over to the United Nations and International Courts.

So let's see.

The guy is being charged under anti terrorism legislation. If found guilty no way he would be given a light sentence.

Now being reported his social media posts wanted full Sharia Law implemented in Oz, any Muslims working for Oz security agencies are kaffirs, became increasingly virulent in his posts etc etc. His friends were against his views, but were rejected. Have to assume someone who personally knew him tipped off Oz security. Thankfully was stupid enough to use social media. On the downside it's being reported security agencies can access encrypted voice / text messages, why media put this info into the public domain is beyond me.

Sorry, hard to take it serious. 35P Oz Terrorism law prescribes you what to post and about what to shut up. Oz government is nothing else but a thought police as described in "1984"

I can very well understand that a Muslim would prefer another kind of law, even though if I'm not a fan of Sharia.

Edited by micmichd

So let's see.

Now being reported his social media posts wanted full Sharia Law implemented in Oz, any Muslims working for Oz security agencies are kaffirs, became increasingly virulent in his posts etc etc. His friends were against his views, but were rejected. Have to assume someone who personally knew him tipped off Oz security. Thankfully was stupid enough to use social media. On the downside it's being reported security agencies can access encrypted voice / text messages, why media put this info into the public domain is beyond me.

For testing public acceptance and compliance?

The ability to decrypt private text messages is maybe not enough... Edited by Scott

Anyway, this guy is just a kid, and maybe not fully aware what weapons can do to others.

Many of you Farangs have severe difficulties to differentiate between a crowd and the individuals that make the crowd a crowd. Especially when it comes to cultural or religious differences.

How can you expect a child should be better than you?