Are the UKVI for real? Our visa refusal......

Thanks wooloomooloo

Ive been very polite, till now smile.png , with the people ive spoken to...as I know theyre just helping me get to who is responsible.

I hope an appeal process isn't going to be required...what I hope and believe should be done is that they find the documents I already provided.

Can you tell me why I will need to get the transcript of the interview?

The appeal/review process is all wrapped up in one procedure now as you might know, ironryon.

If it is patently obvious that the refusal is down to missing documents that you are certain were provided with the application then it won't hurt to make some calls.

In lieu of a professional looking over the refusal letter, you should be requesting the transcript of the interview between the Embassy and your stepdaughter's grandmother prior to appeal. You just don't know the content of the discussion between the two until you've perused the transcript. Could be nothing, but a professional definitely needs to review prior to appeal.

I'm not big on visa agents for straightforward applications, but an agent that knows their stuff is worth their weight in gold when it comes to appeals.

If you can, post the refusal letter for some initial feedback but bear in mind the timeframe.

If you get no joy with the phone calls to the Embassy, which I suspect you won't, then consider a good agent. Thai Visa Express know what they're talking about.

• Like 1

Oh dear....this farce just gets better the more replies I get lol thumbsup.gif what a great system they have. I cant speak directly to the idiot that messed my water tight application up?

IF they refused it for a genuine reason like a sole responsibility issue TonyM I would understand....however I went in depth in proving sole responsibility was with my wife and it wouldn't lead to a failure.

However, I'm glad you pointed out your points 3 and 4....Sound advice if I need to take this further. Thanks kindly.

The reason they refused it was simply as mentioned above that these documents were not submitted -

No Payslips Submitted

Employer Submitted

Bank Statements Submitted

No P60 Submitted

No Contract of Employment Submitted

The Decision says -

Your application falls to be refused under the Imigration Rules because you do not meet the income threshold requirement under Appendix FM and/or the related evidential requirements under Appendix FM-SE.

It then goes on to list each section above stating that the documents were missing.

The refusal letter was sent via whatsapp from my step daughter and poor quality. Ill get another copy and upload it when I can....but it really says no more than above.

Funny that I failed on income...because last week I got an FLR approval for my wifes visa with the same income, bank statements, pay slips etc.

Regarding making a complaint. I already made a complaint earlier today but to this address....'[email protected]'

• Like 1

lol maybe Denim but they wont be getting another penny from me....I've already been conned out of a grand for this application.....plus Ive just paid for an FLR and NHS Surcharge for my wife so the savings have taken a good hammering facepalm.gif

Cant wait for the next part of this farce at 10pm when I call the international enquiry service.

I'll come back and update on what they say.....I have a horrible feeling wooloomooloo and TonyM will be saying "told ya". smile.png

• Like 2

Cant wait for the next part of this farce at 10pm when I call the international enquiry service.

I'll come back and update on what they say.....I have a horrible feeling wooloomooloo and TonyM will be saying "told ya".

I'm sorry but you'll get no joy from the International Enquiry Service, they're no more than call centre staff working to a script.

Tony M is the most qualified and knowledgeable poster on this forum and, believe me, as a professional he shares your frustration, he certainly wont say "told ya".

It is important to post the refusal notice as it will give Tony a clue as do who the ECO is.

• Like 2

I think if you are expecting them to call and ask where are documents you need to rest. This is government and as we all know they do nothing for anyone.

I hope you get it sorted though. Good luck

• Like 1

............ Funny that I failed on income...because last week I got an FLR approval for my wifes visa with the same income, bank statements, pay slips etc.

It is technically possible, because I think that the amount of income required increases when you add a non British child into the mix.

Edited by Paul888
  • Like 1

on a different story...my wifes son and my step son was refused a visa to visit us in the uk for a 3 week holiday....supplied documents..etc...etc.....this was during the thai school holidays....the school approved his holiday and filled in documents saying he will be back due in school on such a date.....in England we had planned to pick him up from Thailand and return him to Thailand plus we were taking off time from work to be with him...etc.....he was refused on the basis they feared for his safty in the UK....this was 3 years ago......

• Like 1

I called them as told to at 10pm...but lines closed. Checked the number given on the UKVI website...said open 8am till 4pm Thai time...so theyd got it wrong.

Not wanting to waste any time smile.png At 3am facepalm.gif I called and someone actually answered the phone. I explained the situation and the girl said she will escalate it for me....so please reply to the email that she will send to me in a few minutes. At first I was worried she'd fobbed me off because the mail was from a donotreply address....however, later on in the mail it said to reply via https://ukvi-international.faq-help.com/.

I did that and received this mail

Dear @@@@@,

Thank you for contacting the UK Visas and Immigration International enquiry service.

We have escalated your case to relevant department today. You will contacted and informed further.

For any further details, or should you need to contact us again please refer to our website at https://ukvi-international.faq-help.com/, select appropriate country, click next and then select “E-Mail form and complete as instructed. We will aim to come back to you within 1 day.

Kind regards,

Daranee

United Kingdom Visas and Immigration International Enquiry Service

Im expecting the next email to tell me how to complain or appeal....BUT Im hoping that someone / a real person will contact me to discuss it / tell me they've found the documents down the back of some drawers. clap2.gif

I imagine everyone will be cheesy.gifcheesy.gif but surely theyre not that bad

............ Funny that I failed on income...because last week I got an FLR approval for my wifes visa with the same income, bank statements, pay slips etc.

It is technically possible, because I think that the amount of income required increases when you add a non British child into the mix.

Hi Paul888 Thanks,,,,

Yep technically but I stated how many dependents their are and my income easily covers them too. However, by them losing my bank statements and pay slips they cant confirm I meet the minimum financial requirements. Sending a refusal letter is probably easier than lifting the phone and explaining to me that they cant find the docs...plus they have no direct contact with customers so its perfect...mess up and move on to the next case.

• Like 2

If you reapply with the same documents it would not surprise me if your application was approved even if nothing much has changed. I know several people who were turned down on their first attempt but had their application approved on the second try.

It gives the distinct impression that they are :

A) testing the sincerity of the original application

cool.png Getting paid again ......a nice little earner.

Yep, my wifes first UK visitor/tourist visa application (before we were married) was refused on some very not very clear reasons, we immediately applied again with exactly the same documentation and visa was granted. As you say, nice little earner.

• Like 2

I called them as told to at 10pm...but lines closed. Checked the number given on the UKVI website...said open 8am till 4pm Thai time...so theyd got it wrong.

Not wanting to waste any time smile.png At 3am facepalm.gif I called and someone actually answered the phone. I explained the situation and the girl said she will escalate it for me....so please reply to the email that she will send to me in a few minutes. At first I was worried she'd fobbed me off because the mail was from a donotreply address....however, later on in the mail it said to reply via https://ukvi-international.faq-help.com/.

Dear @@@@@,

Thank you for contacting the UK Visas and Immigration International enquiry service.

We have escalated your case to relevant department today. You will contacted and informed further.

For any further details, or should you need to contact us again please refer to our website at https://ukvi-international.faq-help.com/, select appropriate country, click next and then select “E-Mail form and complete as instructed. We will aim to come back to you within 1 day.

Kind regards,

Daranee

Im expecting the next email to tell me how to complain or appeal....BUT Im hoping that someone / a real person will contact me to discuss it / tell me they've found the documents down the back of some drawers. clap2.gif

I got this runaround email from the UKVI about 3 times. I live in Germany my wife has a residence permit, and according to the rules was allowed access to the UK without a VISA, but trying to get something definite was hard work. I made an official complaint and was sent a letter apologising and also confirming my wife could enter the UK without a VISA.

[email protected] (attn: Sharon Chambers (if she is still there)).

is the place to send an email.

• Like 2

Dear @@@@@,

Kind regards,

Daranee

I had a very similar experience last week. I had supplied everything so my wife could come to the UK. I was there visiting and getting things set up. While there I received an email requesting proof of previous divorce (presumably bigamy is an issue when marrying in Thailand?) I had sent a copy from my local registry office of my 'free to marry, no impediment certificate' but presumably they didn't know what that was? They also wanted utility bills of the address where we'll be staying. I scanned and supplied those, along with my Thai visa.

I then received another email requesting another copy of my Thai visa, which I duly supplied, same day. On each occasion I stated 'please let me know should you need anything else'.

Having heard nothing further I (wrongly) assumed all was in order. There's nobody to check with and they do not answer emails.

I flew to Thailand expecting as they'd had everything supplied, that I'd be flying back with my wife. Not the case. Declined. :

Because you didn't supply proof of divorce paperwork.

You did not supply utility bills as proof of residence. <deleted>!!!

They also said there was no proof of us being together for the time as stated in the application. Well sorry, but most people use a phone camera these days, they do not have date stamps. The ones that did were from earlier on in our relationship from my camera. Not everyone begins a relationship and archives evidence should there be, some time in the future, a decision made to get betrothed!! I had also pointed out we'd been together now 4 years. But there was insufficient evidence of emotional caring and long term contact. Excuse me? Didn't you just read we have cohabitated for 4 years. You want calls from a pay as you go sim? We need to email each other???

Appeal paperwork was mailed out in the refusal package. I called the number in there in Leicester, and was told I should complete on line. Pay up immediately (of course) and then send the whole shebang in again, this time with missing info. That is then viewed by a judge before being forwarded on to Bangkok. Where a decision will be made to uphold my appeal or go along with the numbnuts original decision.Timeframe? Anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months. What a bunch of shysters.

I can honestly say, this is the absolute worst experience I have ever endured and will never complain about 3rd world incompetence ever again.

Sufficient funds.

• Like 1

We are told by 7by7 that 95% of visas are approved yet we hear so many stories of apparently unfair visa refusals in this forum. This forum is only a small number of the total so these refusals are probably just the tip of the iceberg. Makes you wonder where HMG gets its 95% approval figure from.

What I actually said was that on average 95% of visit visa applications in Bangkok are approved each year.

Do you really need me to teach you how to work out percentages?

As the number of visit applications received by the Bangkok embassy each year is in the tens of thousands, most of them from people who are not members of this forum or connected to any one who is a member. The experiences of the relatively small number of members here who have been refused, whether that refusal is justified or not, is little indication of the total refusal rate.

Particularly as members often post when they need advice on overcoming a refusal; but very rarely post when their application has been accepted.

I haven't checked, but from memory the settlement acceptance rate is lower; around 90%.

Ironryon, I am sorry, but sadly not surprised, that durhamboy has used this disgraceful, unjustified refusal as an excuse to have yet another pop at me.

TonyM is best placed to help you overcome this, so I suggest you take up his offer and contact TVE.

Dear oh dear 7by7 now who is being paranoid? Read my post. I wasn't having a pop at you. I questioned where HMG get their apparently high visa acceptance rate.

You know the old saying "There are lies, damned lies and statistics". I question the figure of 95% for the following reasons :-

1. It is UKVI who compile and calculate the stats. So they are issuing stats about their own performance with almost certainly no independent check on them. So what methodology to they employ? It presumably includes visas granted for business purposes which may have a far higher acceptance rate which pushes up the overall rate.

2. Over what period was the 95% rate calculated. I thought that they did not issue statistics anymore so it may be an old figure. Do you have a link to the source of the figures?

3. The failure to prove an adequate reason to return seems to have become more prevalent in latter cases. So maybe if we looked at just family visit visas for the last 6 months the acceptance rate would be a lot lower than 95%.

4. You say settlement visas run about 90%. Do you have the link? Many of the questions apply.

So please 7by7 don't throw your toys out of the pram just because I question a figure you supplied via UKVI.

As for your apology to the OP for my post. There was no need. If you look he actually liked my post!

They also said there was no proof of us being together for the time as stated in the application. Well sorry, but most people use a phone camera these days, they do not have date stamps. The ones that did were from earlier on in our relationship from my camera. Not everyone begins a relationship and archives evidence should there be, some time in the future, a decision made to get betrothed!! I had also pointed out we'd been together now 4 years. But there was insufficient evidence of emotional caring and long term contact. Excuse me? Didn't you just read we have cohabitated for 4 years. You want calls from a pay as you go sim? We need to email each other???

Appeal paperwork was mailed out in the refusal package. I called the number in there in Leicester, and was told I should complete on line. Pay up immediately (of course) and then send the whole shebang in again, this time with missing info. That is then viewed by a judge before being forwarded on to Bangkok. Where a decision will be made to uphold my appeal or go along with the numbnuts original decision.Timeframe? Anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months. What a bunch of shysters.

I can honestly say, this is the absolute worst experience I have ever endured and will never complain about 3rd world incompetence ever again.

Sufficient funds.

Facebook timeline provides useful evidence of a relationship, as does the Thai VISA extension for reason of marriage in your passport.

Mobile phone photos also have a date taken, attached to them.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

7by7 - the link that you posted contains a huge amount of statistics over a 4 year period.

I looked at the latest quarter (Oct-Dec 2014) in the spreadsheet entitled "Entry Clearance Visas granted outside the UK" data tables immigration statistics Vol. 1 (Table vi-01-q)

There you will see the figures for Family Visas (presumably means Settlement Visas) as :-

No. of Resolved Applications = 15592

No. of Visas Granted = 9441

Percentage Granted = 61%

Note : This appears to be for visas granted in all countries not just Thailand.

You quoted a figure of around 90% granted. Obviously 61% is a heck of a lot lower than 90%. Please tell me where you got the 90% figure from? Are there any figures just for the Bangkok embassy? Thank you.

• Like 1

Different countries have different issue rates; for a variety of reasons.

The 95% for visits and 90% for settlement are average acceptance rates for Thailand.

I thought saying things such as "issued in Bangkok" when referring to those figures made that obvious. Apparently not to everyone!

Keep looking; you'll find them.

I've taken advice now and contacted the sponsor TVE for help on this matter.

Reason being....the documents may not have been submitted and maybe lost/stolen during transit to Thailand.

After I raised my case to the International Enquiry Line they escalated it to the UKVI. I also made a complaint....Im not sure which did the trick but an Entry Clearance Manager mailed me as per below -

Dear Mr ironryonsmile.png ,

Thank you for your email dated 11 May which has been forwarded to this team for a response.

It is not policy for sponsors to be contacted by UKVI to discuss a refusal. I have however reviewed your step daughter’s application and checked what documents were submitted in support of the application.

Your step daughter applied on the 10th April for entry clearance as a child of a settled person and completed Appendix 2, stating that she met the financial requirements through your salaried employment in the UK. At the time of the application, a document check list, detailing all the documents submitted in support of the application, was completed and signed on behalf of the applicant by her grandmother. The checklist shows there were no documents regarding your employment or financial circumstances submitted in support of the application.

Applicants are advised to ensure all relevant documents are submitted in support of the application. In this case, this means:

· Payslips covering:

- a period of 6 months prior to the date of application if the person has been employed by their current employer for at least 6 months; or

- any period of salaried employment in the period of 12 months prior to the date of application if the person has been employed by their current employer for less than 6 months, or in the financial year(s) relied upon by a self-employed person.

· A letter from the employer(s) who issued the payslips confirming:

- the person's employment and gross annual salary;

- the length of their employment;

- the period over which they have been or were paid the level of salary relied upon in the application; and

- the type of employment (permanent, fixed-term contract or agency).

· Personal bank statements corresponding to the same period(s) as the payslips, showing that the salary has been paid into an account in the name of the person or in the name of the person and their partner jointly.

The following may also be produced:

· the P60 for the relevant period(s) of employment relied upon (if issued)

· a signed contract of employment

Your step daughter did not submit any of these documents with her application and the Entry Clearance Officer was correct in refusing her application.

Your step daughter’s application does attract a right of appeal which she is able to exercise, details of which were provided with her refusal. Should she wish to, she is also able to reapply for entry clearance. Any further application will be considered on its individual merits, taking into account the documents submitted in support of that application.

Yours sincerely,

Entry Clearance Manager

I appreciate that he or she contacted me, however it would be nice to get a name or a contact number/email address. I don't agree that someone can hide behind their job title and not give a name at least in a professional organization....anyway....

I've since replied to this twice via the complaints process and as yet no reply.

I've also send at least 6 messages to the international enquiry line but its like we talk another language....its very frustrating.

In my complaint and messages to both Ive asked why at both check points did the VFS employees state to the applicant that all documents required were present? Ive said the applicant (an 11 year old) signed the checklist because she cant read English that well and because the VFS employees told her nothing else was required.

Is it not their responsibility to ensure all required documents are present? I assumed it was.

I also asked why even if the VFS allowed this application to pass with so many crucial documents missing didn't the clearance office contact the applicant, the sponsor etc to ask for these documents?

I've also asked for a copy of the checklist they was signed by the grandmother....even though the grandmother denies signing anything....

So, while I wait for a reply...I might be waiting a long time I know, I spoke to Parcel Force and found something quite alarming. My receipt for the package of documents at time of posting in the local post office weighed 1.353kg. Parcel Force collected it 2 days later and took it to their Depot where it was weighed again...at only 1.2kg! It was weighed several more times on its way to Buriram and remained at 1.2kg. So that's 153g difference....I've weighed the 32 pages of A4 that the missing documents were printed on and yep it weights roughly the same. I may be putting 2 and 2 together but because of the nature of the documents missing Im concerned someone has taken them for ID fraud etc! Ive informed the Police but they said I cant prove it so they wont even give me a crime ref number or log it!

Parcel Force are looking into....they say it could have been an operator input error at the post office....so the parcel never weighed 1.353kg and therefore nothing is missing.

So its a right mess at present....its very frustrating that I cant just speak with someone at the Embassy very worrying that documents I wouldn't want in the wrong hands cant be accounted for.

7by7 - the link that you posted contains a huge amount of statistics over a 4 year period.

I looked at the latest quarter (Oct-Dec 2014) in the spreadsheet entitled "Entry Clearance Visas granted outside the UK" data tables immigration statistics Vol. 1 (Table vi-01-q)

There you will see the figures for Family Visas (presumably means Settlement Visas) as :-

No. of Resolved Applications = 15592

No. of Visas Granted = 9441

Percentage Granted = 61%

Note : This appears to be for visas granted in all countries not just Thailand.

You quoted a figure of around 90% granted. Obviously 61% is a heck of a lot lower than 90%. Please tell me where you got the 90% figure from? Are there any figures just for the Bangkok embassy? Thank you.

I had a quick look at the Excel files, I'm not sure which tab shows family or visitor visa's only but take for instance the tab "vi_02_q" of Volume 1. In Column C you can filter on country by clicking the funnel symbol. Select 'Thailand' and possible turn on/off filters for other columns aswell to get the desired data.

Edit: seems that the Volume 3 file has family visa's etc. Find that tab, filter by country and I think you'll find the data you are after?

Edited by Donutz

My mrs got rejected, some very strange reasons one of which was I came to Thailand so often so why did she need to go to the UK. Did another application the same but with a lettr from MP who I never met and got a VV. I do not believe the 95% rate which seems to be the same quoted year in year out.

• Like 1

My mrs got rejected, some very strange reasons one of which was I came to Thailand so often so why did she need to go to the UK. Did another application the same but with a lettr from MP who I never met and got a VV. I do not believe the 95% rate which seems to be the same quoted year in year out.

A very unusual story !

Will you post the rejection letter?

AND the unknown MPs lettr (sic) which I am sure you will be happy share !

Guess we will all have to wait a long time for you to do those simple things smile.png

Edited by nzexpat